Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trigger pulled on 575. Build feedback needed

Hello
    Ordered today medium white and will be happy to see feedback suggestions on the kit.
    I like light builds in general and will be happy to get some inputs here.
    Build kit taken from Jamis Dakar 3.0 with few changes:
    FORK Fox Float Talas RLC, 90-130mm travel.
    HEADSET WTB Team, Internal Cup type, 1 1/8.
    WHEELSET Mavic CrossMax XL wheelset, Maxtal SUP rims, FTS sealed cartridge disc hubs, Zicral spokes. This was changed to XTR hubs laced to Mavic 819
    TIRES Hutchinson Spider, tubeless, 26 x 2.30, kevlar bead. Changed to Maxis crossmarc
    DERAILLEURS Shimano XTR (hi-normal) rear, Deore XT 31.8mm conventional clamp/top pull front.
    SHIFTERS Shimano Deore XT, Rapidfire-SL, 27-speed.
    CHAIN Shimano HG-93.
    FREEWHEEL Shimano XT M760, 9-speed, 11-32.
    CRANKSET Shimano Deore XT, two-pc Hollowtech,
    44/32/22, 170mm (13-15), 175mm (17-21).
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano Deore XT, pipe billet.
    PEDALS Crank Brothers Candy C clipless.
    BRAKESET Avid Juicy Seven hydraulic disc brakes
    with Avid Juicy levers.
    HANDLEBAR TruVativ Team 31.8mm Riser Bar, triple butted
    7050 alloy, 35mm rise x 640mm.
    STEM TruVativ Team, 80mm x 5 (13 - 15),
    90mm x 5 (17 19), 100mm x 5 (21).
    GRIPS WTB Weirwolf, dual DNA compound.
    SEATPOST TruVativ Team Double Clamp, 350mm x 27.2mm with alloy clamp and QR.
    SADDLE Fizik Plateau with leather top, nytek sides, scuff guards and cromo rails.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Looks like a great build to me. I'd personally go Revelation over TALAS, but that is a very subjective thing.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Looks like a great build to me. I'd personally go Revelation over TALAS, but that is a very subjective thing.
    Yup. I agree on that one. Revelation Air U-Turn or the Pike. I have ridden the Talas and can say that the Revelation feels much better and is way more adjustable.

mtbr member
    it's all very personal, but if it where me...
    I've never been a huge fan of fox forks for what they cost, I'd probably go pike or nixon (the new magura wotan is supposedly shipping soon, no idea what they cost but that looks sweet).

I'd go with an XT rear derailleur, you'll never notice a difference and they cost a lot less - if you are like me, you break derailleurs once in a while. It's less painful to break an XT.

I'd go with Louise brakes, but that's just me, nothing wrong with Jucies.

pedals: I wouldn't get crank bros anything 'C', spend the extra $20 and get the stainless axle. The pedals with CrMo axels have wimpy cages that I've seen fail in scary ways (leaving sharp metal spikes protruding from the pedal).

Stem: I'd go with a Thompson X4.

Post: Get a Thompson. They are better than anything you can get, and don't cost a lot more.

mtbr member

Thanks & clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    it's all very personal, but if it where me...
    I've never been a huge fan of fox forks for what they cost, I'd probably go pike or nixon (the new magura wotan is supposedly shipping soon, no idea what they cost but that looks sweet).

I'd go with an XT rear derailleur, you'll never notice a difference and they cost a lot less - if you are like me, you break derailleurs once in a while. It's less painful to break an XT.

I'd go with Louise brakes, but that's just me, nothing wrong with Jucies.

pedals: I wouldn't get crank bros anything 'C', spend the extra $20 and get the stainless axle. The pedals with CrMo axels have wimpy cages that I've seen fail in scary ways (leaving sharp metal spikes protruding from the pedal).

Stem: I'd go with a c X4.

Post: Get a Thompson. They are better than anything you can get, and don't cost a lot more.
    To clarify, the whole build kit comes from a Jamis kit that the LBS have. I don't pay for the XTR derailure seperately and the TALAS comes as part of the package as well.
    Do you think that I need to "upgrade" (add $) the Fox to one of the other shocks?.
    I changed the wheels and chose XTR hubs over XT to loose some weight.
    I hear ya about the Thompson and the candy C and will probably upgrade.
    I also plan to go Carbon on the handlebar (FSA) and upgrade the saddle to WTB rocket V Ti.
    Thanks again
    GB

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    Do you think that I need to "upgrade" (add $) the Fox to one of the other shocks?.
    The Revelation MSRP is way lower than the TALAS, so you may find that it might actually cost you less. I had a 05 TALAS before my 06 PIKE, and I really love the tunability and feel of the PIKE compared to the TALAS. Of course everyone has thier own preference and the proof is in the ride, but RS really seems to have a good thing going right now.

EDR
    Enjoy the new ride. Its mostly the kick ass frame you bought that will make you smile on the trails. Wheels and fork are very important as well. Too bad we don't always have the option to build every little detail of our bikes to our spec. But.........if I were to make a few changes to your list.....

I would add a:

1) Pike in place of the TALAS
    2) SRAM shifters and rear Der.

But that's me. Go ride and have fun. If your post slips up/down and side to side get a Hope or Salsa qr clamp and a Thomson post. Otherwise leave it be. But if you have money to burn to bling out your bike, do whatever you want.

mtbr member
    I think you might need a different headset, I could be wrong but the internal cup is for frames made for that. I got the pig dh pro, probably overkill but it is a nice headset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What I wouldn't do is put a Nixon on the 575. I think, IMHO, it is a pretty crappy fork. Especially if you are a large guy, the Nixon will flex A LOT, compromising not only steering, but front braking too...

Don't know much about the Pike, but I hear good things. I am swapping out my Nixon for a 36 RC2 on Thursday (thank you eBay)...Aside from that your build looks good--and I echo the call for Thompson post and stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Ditch the Shimano.
    SRAM is worthy of all the hype. X.9 beats XT by a long shot.

mtbr member
    people would differ, but good call on the XTR wheels... very user friendly in the long run.
    i agree with everyone about the talas and the rev or pike. however, i'd say that once your talas starts weeping oil from the seals (unless you got the 07 which may have some improved seals), keep it and have it pushed at the next service... of course, there are the new rockshox 40 forks coming soon (might be next year before they're affordable however)...

mtbr member

So you are serious about RS!

OK, I got it and see what the LBS has to say tomorrow and how much more they ask for the pike. I must say that I demoed the 575 with the TALAS and was realy happy but I come from MX Comp 85mm which is not a real refference. MTBR reviewes for TALAS are great so I thought this was the way to go. I also like light builds and TALAS wins on the weight plus for me it is still the coolest looking fork but I can not give up ride quality and sure not reliability.
    About Shimano I dono. I ride XT for 9 years and realy wanted SRAM that is more trendy this days and maybe more reliable. I can say that I had the demo bike with SRAM for 4 rides and not sure that I like the push push thing. Also for me XT is way smoother than the X9 that has clicky noises when shifting. As said before this may be personal but I am very comfortable with XT.
    I considered SRAM mainly since I planned on buying a TITUS (100x than ML) and with that rear triangle Shimano have problems of the derailar knocking on the triangle. I have not heared about similar problems with the 575.
    Well, the RS input is now somthing to think about
    Thanks again
    GB
    BTW: I change my disks to XT since the XTR hubs are center lock and can not match with Avid juicy

Bad Case of the Mondays
    If you like light builds, I'd say Revelation or TALAS over the Pike. The Pike is gonna add a bit of travel, some stiffness and some weight. I had a TALAS and it was OK, but not as nice of a feel or as tuneable as my PIKE.

As for SRAM/Shimano, its a personal preference. I get a little better shifting with SRAM stuff and the 1:1 pull, but I ran XT/XTR drivetrains for years and it was quite acceptable as well.

And you can go XTR hubs, you just need a centerlock to IS adaptor, which are easy to come by these days. XTR hubs will save you quite a bit of weight over the older, 6-bolt style XT hubs (which are boat anchors).

Link to DT

In my mind, I can do it!
    OK, I got it and see what the LBS has to say tomorrow and how much more they ask for the pike. I must say that I demoed the 575 with the TALAS and was realy happy but I come from MX Comp 85mm which is not a real refference. MTBR reviewes for TALAS are great so I thought this was the way to go. I also like light builds and TALAS wins on the weight plus for me it is still the coolest looking fork but I can not give up ride quality and sure not reliability.
    About Shimano I dono. I ride XT for 9 years and realy wanted SRAM that is more trendy this days and maybe more reliable. I can say that I had the demo bike with SRAM for 4 rides and not sure that I like the push push thing. Also for me XT is way smoother than the X9 that has clicky noises when shifting. As said before this may be personal but I am very comfortable with XT.
    I considered SRAM mainly since I planned on buying a TITUS (100x than ML) and with that rear triangle Shimano have problems of the derailar knocking on the triangle. I have not heared about similar problems with the 575.
    Well, the RS input is now somthing to think about
    Thanks again
    GB
    BTW: I change my disks to XT since the XTR hubs are center lock and can not match with Avid juicy
    I came off the MX Comp 105. I liked the Talas but after tuning the Revelation in it really feels more like a coil. The talas is a good fork but for the money you can't beat the revelation. Like some have said they prefer the Revelation over their PUSHed Talas. The RS has a positive air chamber and a negative air chamber. So it can be tuned much better than the Fox. The Revelation Air U-Turn also has the adjustable travel length. It has an external compression dampning adjustment as well as rebound and a blow off valve adjustment. It can be adjusted to feel like a Terralogic with the stable platform.

As far as the looks go, I don't see how the Talas looks near as cool as the Rev.

The SRAM has been fine. I don't particularly care for the push push either but as long as the shifter isn't too close to the grip, it's fine. It shifts very smoothly.

mtbr member

cool!

If you like light builds, I'd say Revelation or TALAS over the Pike. The Pike is gonna add a bit of travel, some stiffness and some weight. I had a TALAS and it was OK, but not as nice of a feel or as tuneable as my PIKE.

As for SRAM/Shimano, its a personal preference. I get a little better shifting with SRAM stuff and the 1:1 pull, but I ran XT/XTR drivetrains for years and it was quite acceptable as well.

And you can go XTR hubs, you just need a centerlock to IS adaptor, which are easy to come by these days. XTR hubs will save you quite a bit of weight over the older, 6-bolt style XT hubs (which are boat anchors).

Link to DT
    Now the Avids are 185mm 2005. Add 40grams for the adaptor sand this may be way heavier than the XT. Never had disks before. Do I realy need 185mm (Avid J) for a light build??.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Now the Avids are 185mm 2005. Add 40grams for the adaptor sand this may be way heavier than the XT. Never had disks before. Do I realy need 185mm (Avid J) for a light build??.
    Need? No, you don't need it but don't get too hung up on the weight thing. Go read my posts from about 5 months ago. I was hung up on the weights as well but remember this is an All Mountain bike. It's not a racer. The 185mm rotors will stop you better than the 160mm. And 80g of weight is completely unnoticeable.... Really. I have the 185mm rotors and like them but probably would have liked the 160mm as well, unless they are compared side by side.

My previous bike was a hair under 28lbs and had about 3" of rear suspension. So given that it should be faster right? My 575 is about 28.8lbs with almost 6" of rear suspension. Should be slower but more capable right? WRONG! I am much faster on the 575 than my old Specialized FSRxc. Go figure. It seems to climb faster, definately faster down hills, it's just as fast in a sprint and probably corners just as well. And much much much more comfortable. So don't get hung up on the weight.

mtbr member

Maxxis crossmark???

Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    I came off the MX Comp 105. I liked the Talas but after tuning the Revelation in it really feels more like a coil. The talas is a good fork but for the money you can't beat the revelation. Like some have said they prefer the Revelation over their PUSHed Talas. The RS has a positive air chamber and a negative air chamber. So it can be tuned much better than the Fox. The Revelation Air U-Turn also has the adjustable travel length. It has an external compression dampning adjustment as well as rebound and a blow off valve adjustment. It can be adjusted to feel like a Terralogic with the stable platform.

As far as the looks go, I don't see how the Talas looks near as cool as the Rev.

The SRAM has been fine. I don't particularly care for the push push either but as long as the shifter isn't too close to the grip, it's fine. It shifts very smoothly.
    Hi iviguy
    How did you find your tiers?.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Hi iviguy
    How did you find your tiers?.
    Funny you should ask.. I was going to edit a post and highly recommend the CrossMark tires. An LBS owner recommended them to me a while back and since then I have had others who chimmed in about them. Before I bought my bike I helped a friend buy his and talked him into the CrossMarks based on what I had been told by others. He loved them.

So I got them and now I love them too. They are light, very fast and corner very well. I have climbed steep hills with loose hardpack and they don't slip. They go over roots and rocks great as well. I can't speak to the life of them though but when they go, I will buy another set.

I recommend getting the LUST version. The sidewalls are a bit more robust than the non LUST version. (Light UST)

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Really. I have the 185mm rotors and like them but probably would have liked the 160mm as well, unless they are compared side by side.
    You can do what I did, split the difference. 185mm up front, 160 in the rear. 160 is plenty for me as I can lock it up easily on steep stuff. the 185 up front does seem to add some power, especially on the longer, extended descents.

mtbr member
    Great!.
    I plan on getting the non UST as I was told they work very well with 819 rims as a UST.

mtbr member

keeping the TALAS

Talked to the LBS and they suggested I'd stay with Fox for local service reasons. It will be same day or next day service where RS may take a week or so here. So I will keep it for the same reason I buy the 575 good product with excellent service.
    The guys in the LBS ride and promote RS for better value but it won't save me anything since the TALAS comes with the kit I am using.
    Thanks for your inputs
    GB

Who is John Galt?
    I'm getting ready to buy one too, going for the Enduro (does anyone buy anything else on these?). Money is tight but I am looking at the following upgrades:
    Avid Juicy 7 brakes
    Fox RLC fork (vs RL)
    Thompson seatpost
    Panaracer Cinder tires

What else should I do? Is there a better fork for this bike that won't break the bank?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac

Is there a better fork for this bike that won't break the bank?
    Yes: Everyone....together now...."RS!"...but the Vanilla is a very nice fork. If you wan't a little more travel to balance the bike out (which is recommended, at least by me) then get a 140 to 150mm fork. Pike coil is da bomb but at a weight penalty. If you are making a trail bike the extra pound doesn't matter. If you want lighter go Vanilla or lighter still, an air fork like a talas (this breaks the bank!)

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    I'm getting ready to buy one too, going for the Enduro (does anyone buy anything else on these?). Money is tight but I am looking at the following upgrades:
    Avid Juicy 7 brakes
    Fox RLC fork (vs RL)
    Thompson seatpost
    Panaracer Cinder tires

What else should I do? Is there a better fork for this bike that won't break the bank?
    - J7 is a good upgrade
    - Seriously, check out the Revelation. It's about the same price as the vanilla and less than the RLC.
    - Thompson seatpost... Eh.. you won't notice a difference except that it says "Thompson" on it. Save the money and spend it on a Salsa or Hope seatpost collar. You will wind up buying one eventually anyway.
    - Tires - don't know much about the cinders. They have to be better than the Minions though.

Besides the wheels there isn't much else I would be concerned with. Wheels will break the bank though.

Have you gotten any quotes yet? Who are you buying from?

Who is John Galt?

Cool-blue Rhythm

- J7 is a good upgrade
    - Seriously, check out the Revelation. It's about the same price as the vanilla and less than the RLC.
    - Thompson seatpost... Eh.. you won't notice a difference except that it says "Thompson" on it. Save the money and spend it on a Salsa or Hope seatpost collar. You will wind up buying one eventually anyway.
    - Tires - don't know much about the cinders. They have to be better than the Minions though.

Besides the wheels there isn't much else I would be concerned with. Wheels will break the bank though.

Have you gotten any quotes yet? Who are you buying from?
    Will at FullCycles has the best price so far: $2377 with the J7s. LBS said $2,700 without any upgrades so I'm pretty sure I won't be buying there. Problem is I haven't ridden one of these, have been researching for weeks and have yet to find a negative coment on this bike but it does scare me to buy something I haven't tested. You guys could all be Yeti employees paid minimum wage to write glowing reviews on Web forums ;-) But then if that was the case Specialized, Giant and SC would get on and tell how the frame breaks everytime you air up the tires...

You guys will love this, my wife is pushing me to buy a bike, says I never treat myself to anything. What a gal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast