Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

touch up paint?

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  LCW 
#1 ·
Any ideas how to get my hands on some paint to touch up some blemishes on my yellow SB.

Is it a standard automotive color? Do I need to get it through Yeti? Do I just need to live with the scuffs?

#3 ·
Maybe the numbers are different for pens vs bottles but I got a small bottle of "RAL 5018 Turquoise Blue" and it matches very well. You don't notice the color so much as the difference in texture but thats unavoidable without a ton of sanding and finishing. I got it from orbit industries in TX if the pens don't work out for you.

#5 ·
I'm glad I found these hard-to-find touch up paint threads...

Had a tragic mishap when building up my new frame... (You have no idea how pissed I was at myself - expletives were flying out of my mouth for literally an hour after the fact... Not a good way to start a build with a brand new frame)...

So after finding these threads and discovering about the RAL codes I got my hands on some RAL 5018... Also got some RAL1023 and RAL1028. For the 2013 yellow/turq SB66a frame, the 1028 was a much closer match. It's called Mellon Yellow from the place I got the paint from - Orbit Industries.

Here's post fix (before finding some touch-up safe clearcoat):

And here it is after clear costing the area and a few rides and exposure to the sun and elements. Seems to be holding up.

It's obviously not glass smooth and "perfect" but I did what I could and the color match is quite good. Better than having some large chips that might flake and get worse. Unless you knew where to look, you'd be hard pressed to notice. Of course I'll always know it's there but it was a good exercise is patience and touch up application skills lol.

What I haven't shown is an intermediate fix attempt using some "close-enough" nail polish shades (before doing more research and finding the proper color codes and proper touch up paint). It was a disaster - stood out a lot. So I stripped that off and started over to get what you see above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.