mtbr member

Tools Needed For SB-95

I've always been able to do normal maintenance on my bike like tires/chain/shock pressure etc, but I really would like to get to the point where I could do a teardown and rebuild of the bike each season. Problem is I have a limited amount of tools and I know that for each component there are some specialty tools needed.

Any helpful hints on toolsets or tools needed? If this is too broad of a topic I apologize. I have the sb95 race kit

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Standard set of hex keys, torque wrench (muy important), shimano crank key, and maybe a BB tool. Rubber mallet and a mix of screwdrivers.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    ah torque wrench awesome, any recommended brands? thx for the reply I really appreciate it.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    For pulling the bearings out all you need is a punch that fits in the guide holes on the inside of the switch, using that there with light tapping with a hammer gets them out easily enough. Same punch worked to get them out of the dogbone, and the large bearing out of the drive-side of the frame.

I didn't feel the need to replace the bushing on the non-drive side of the frame. It should pry out easily enough by starting at the split with an x-acto knife or small flat-tip screwdriver and it'll come out.

I used a standard headset press (borrowed from my LBS) to press the new frame bearing in. I think it's the same size as one of the "standard" Cane Creek bearings.

I have been told that a "1.5" Chris King headset press" can be used to push a new busing in on the non-drive side, but I haven't tried it yet.

mtbr member
    Thx bear I've seen your posts around here and its actually what inspired me to get a little more hands on with the bike, thanks for the tips

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    glad to help.

be sure to get the manual off the Yeti site, good info there.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post

I didn't feel the need to replace the bushing on the non-drive side of the frame. It should pry out easily enough by starting at the split with an x-acto knife or small flat-tip screwdriver and it'll come out.
    Small flat head screwdriver CAREFULLY applied will take the bushing right out. Then install with bearing press as with drive side bearing.
    Yeti SB-95a Black