mtbr member

Tires for SB 95c?

I'm ordering some upgrade parts ahead of my 95c arrival and was wondering what tires folks were running?

I'm in the triangle area of NC - mostly rooty trails with the occasional chunky rock garden. I run a Schwalbe Racing Ralph (rear)/Nobby Nic (front) combination on my HT and was considering either the same combo or a Nobby Nic in the rear and Hans Dampf in the front.

What are y'all riding on?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well , I loved the way my bike just flew with my " Geax Saguaro TNT 2.2 " front and back when I first built it and was doing XC trails, but shortly after when I started doing my AM riding in Az I found they were sketchy and just did not have control in the steep rocky fast sections .

So I tried the Ikon 2.3 EXO which was way better but I finally had to go with the Maxxis Ardents 2.4 EXO ft and the Ardent 2.3 standard rear both run tubeless , and now the thing really hooks and climbs and descends the rock crap really good .....but boy oh boy I have to push way harder to get the bike to fly

Im still going to try a few more combos before I give up , I you could get away with the 2.3 Ikon EXO or the 2.2 Geax tires you will be fine , I just could not run them here

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've tried a lot of combos and have settled with a Ikon EXO 2.35 in the rear and an Ardent EXO 2.4 in front. The Ardent hooks up most excellently and the Ikon is fast and easy to break loose when you need it to. Running them both on 35mm wide derby wheels. Amazing.
    Front Range, Colorado
    Yeti SB95c
    Yeti ARC c
    Surly ICT

Not Bad
    I started off on a Nobby Nic Front/Rocket Ron Rear Combo but soon found the Ron to be a bit tame a tyre for just how fast the '95c can go, so used a Hans Dampf Front/Nobby Nic combo. This worked great until it got really wet. I'm currently riding my hardtail through the winter for all but the planned trail centre type rides due to the mud we get here but I'll be running a Hans Dampf on the back too for the next time. I'm also planning on running some Bontrager tyres next season as I'm a fan of them on my Treks.

mtbr member
    Cool. Thanks for the responses so far.

I happen to have a pair of HD 2.35's hanging on the wall. I bought them locally from a guy who had them on his bike for 2 rides. I got a screaming deal and was initally planning to run them front and rear on this bike (one is trailstar, one is pacestar), so this is still an option for me...

What about a HD front and moving the Ardent to the rear?

Not Bad
    Well I've not fitted the tyres up yet so I'm not quite sure what the clearance with the HD's will be like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I've tried a lot of combos and have settled with a Ikon EXO 2.35 in the rear and an Ardent EXO 2.4 in front. The Ardent hooks up most excellently and the Ikon is fast and easy to break loose when you need it to. Running them both on 35mm wide derby wheels. Amazing.
    I am going to haft to try this combo , I did like the way the 2.3 Ikon pedaled when I ran the pair.
    I will order another one give it a go

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Cool. Thanks for the responses so far.

I happen to have a pair of HD 2.35's hanging on the wall. I bought them locally from a guy who had them on his bike for 2 rides. I got a screaming deal and was initally planning to run them front and rear on this bike (one is trailstar, one is pacestar), so this is still an option for me...

What about a HD front and moving the Ardent to the rear?
    Most guys out here pedal the Ardent just fine and they love the dam things , ( and it is a really good tire ) but me being a little guy and being old it is harder to pedal for me , I stand up a lot and and mash away to keep it moving and to keep up with the pace, so it would just depend on if you needed a easy pedaling rear tire or not .

I am the only one out of our riding group that noticed the difference of the Ardent in the rear , ( all the guys are 1/2 my age and have 50 to 70 lbs on me also )

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Well I just finished a 26 mile hammer fest with my Ardent 2.4 EXO ft and my Ikon 2.35 EXO rear and I gotta say I agree with Streetdoctor that this is a really good combo ( I should have tried this before when i had my first set of Ikons but I just did not )

I Have my quick accelerating bike back Its amazing how much the Ardent in the rear was killing me , .......the 2.3 Ikon actually hooks up really well despite the way it looks and when leaned over it grabs on the outside row of large knobs and cuts corners very well .

And of course riding on the asphalt is a joy , the thing just spins away with no real resistance . ( except for the noise from the front Ardent sounding like a lifted chevrolet blazer with 38" mudders on it )

I run 22 psi in the front Ardent and I had 25 in the rear Ikon , I am going to go alittle lower in the rear because the 2.3 Ikon is such a big casing , I like really low pressures if I can get away with it .

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I started out with Knobby Nic front/Racing Ralph rear on a SB95c here in the ATL. As I got much more confident on the bike the RRalph rear was wearing fast and sliding all over the place while the KNic front would get a little sketch once there was any lean in the turning process. I went to Enve AM wheels and Hans Dampf front/rear and the bike has been nothing short of phenomenal since. I then put a new Hans Dampf on the front of the ARCc with the Knobby Nic on the rear and find that to be a good combo there for winter time XC riding here in the clay of GA. I feel the profile of the HD front made the biggest difference tire wise and well the Enve's are just pure addiction.