Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Tires for 575, CO Front Range

Allright, pulled the trigger on 575 and have been out for a couple rides. Handles like a dream, decends like a dream, my only complaint so far is that while the Maxxis Minions decend great (its a downhill tire), I can sure feel the weight and rolling resistance of them on the climbs.

Wanted to see if there are other Colorado front range riders out there that may have some suggestions for our loose conditions here. I've considered either Kenda Nevegal 2.1's, or Panaracer smoke & Dart combo 2.1, anyone else use those or have other good tire suggestions? Would like to save some weight and rolling resistance, but still have something that grips fairly well. Thanks!!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I live in Boulder County, and ride all over the Front Range. I've run the Kenda Blue Groove 2.35 & Nevegal 2.1 combon (F/R) on my 575 for about 6 months now. I've been using the DTC compounds, which last a lot longer, but don't offer the same grip as the StickE compound.

I'm pretty happy with this combination, but as always I'm going to try something new next time. I'm going to give the Schwalbe Nobby Nic and/or Big Betty a whirl.

Larry from MtnHighCyclery was riding a set of Big Bettys the other day and I had to move off his wheel as the tires were throwing up serious roost, now that is what I call sticky! I've been told by numerous people that even though they are a bit heavier than the Nevegals, they roll better so it evens out. I've had good luck in the past with Schwalbe tires, so I'm gonna give em another whirl.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I used Maxxis High Rollers for several week both Front and Rear. I'm doing trails like Green Mountin, Falcon, Waterton, etc. The rear wore out after only 200 freakin miles, and never had enought tractions IMO. I swapped the rear (only) for a Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 and I'm really happy with that. I left the front High Roller on for now, but HAVE TO run it below 35psi or will wash out easily on loose stuff. I'm not impressed with the High Rollers at all, but they are OK for a front tire.

Adobo Lover
    Nevegals Stick- E 2.1's in the front and Nevegal DTC 2.1's in the rear. May change eventually to 2.3's in the front but for now I'm happy with the performance and wear of the Kendas.

bob
    mtbr member
    I live in FL, but I've done a bit of riding around the Vail and Glenwood Springs areas. So, you can file this in the FWIW file. I found the conditions, loose over hard w/rocks thrown in, similar to what I ride down here. And no, it's not all completely flat and sandy in FL. I ride 2.3 Stickee BG/Nevegal combo and love it. I was riding near Avon last year on a loaner bike and kept thinking "d@mn I wish had brought my own tires". The 2.1s roll a little better and weigh less, but the 2.3s inspire allot of confidence when the terrain gets nasty. A guy I know in Vail runs 2.1 Nevegals on his Blur LT.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Maxxis CrossMark's are light and fast. If you ride where you need excessive grip maybe not the right tire for you but they do seem to grip most stuff pretty well. I like them better than the Fire XC Pro's I had before.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

stick e vs dtc

Thanks for all the feedback so far. As for you Nevegal riders, how different have you noticed rolling on the dtc's vs stick e? And how comfortable on the nasty stuff with DTC.

As mentioned earlier, I'm riding mostly front range, (Deer Creek, waterton area, falcon, apex, etc.) just hate the feeling of sliding around on the downhills.

Never been to Florida Bob, but thanks for clearing things up about the hills, I figured that place was flat!

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Nn/mud

The Nobby Nic's up front are amazing. They roll faster than most tires out there due to their casing design, yet grip as good or better than anything else I've tried.

I like the Michelin XCR mud in the front or rear also. They roll unbelievably fast for a grippy tire and are a little tougher than the Schwalbes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Try Schwalbe Albert 2.25 rear and the same on the front in soft compound. They roll fast, grip is amazing and they only weigh 620g

Chaser

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by arborider
    Thanks for all the feedback so far. As for you Nevegal riders, how different have you noticed rolling on the dtc's vs stick e? And how comfortable on the nasty stuff with DTC.
    Rolling resistance difference is substantial IMO. So is wear rate. I've used both compounds off/on for the last 1.5 years, and both have advantages and disadvantages.

For pure stick, confidence inspiring traction and you can handle their slower rolling nature the StickE is the way to go.
    For decent traction, longer life and better rolling the DTC is what you seek.

mtbr member

Stick-E vs DTC

As mentioned earlier, I'm riding mostly front range, (Deer Creek, waterton area, falcon, apex, etc.) just hate the feeling of sliding around on the downhills.

Never been to Florida Bob, but thanks for clearing things up about the hills, I figured that place was flat!

Is substantial. The 2.35 BG's itself are relatively slow tires but really stick to rocks and has a very good volume. I run the big Kenda Stick-E's up front and a lighter tire like the Mutano 2.4 in the back. Having said that, I love the stickiness of the front tire and will sacrifice some climbing efficiency for it. If I wanted to get to the top of the hill first, I'd take the SS...

Adobo Lover
    To be honest with you, I really can't tell the difference. I just know the tread pattern hooks up well in a wide variety of conditions. I've ridden the UST(not a stick e or dtc) front and back, stick-e front, and dtc front and back. I do know that the stick-e looks a tad bit skinnier than 2.1. The UST seems the widest of the three.

mtbr member

Just switched from Nevegals

...to Kenda Cortez 2.35's.

Rolling resistance is noticeably less, but they seem to hook like crazy. One thing I will say is that the sidewalls are THIN, but that's generally the case with lighter high-volume tires.

MM

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MavSports
    ...to Kenda Cortez 2.35's.

Rolling resistance is noticeably less, but they seem to hook like crazy. One thing I will say is that the sidewalls are THIN, but that's generally the case with lighter high-volume tires.

MM
    If you are in the market for another pair of the Cortez that are slightly used (well under 100 miles or so), $40 and they are yours!!!
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member

If I didn't have the Kenda hook,

...I'd take you up on it in a second. Tires are really, really subjective and after only a few rides I'm finding myself liking these. I'd trade you for some similarly used Nevegals if that holds any interest.

MM

Hi!!!
    I'll take 'em. I almost pulled the trigger on prodealing a couple of pairs of Nev's and BG's, but instead went with 2.24 and 2.4 Mutanos. So far, so good.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member

Just asked my shop this yesterday

I just asked the guys at Road 34 in FC this questions yesterday. They are fans of Larsen TTs, which apparently are supposed to roll pretty well. Willy says he runs the Larsen in the rear with a Minion up front for more grip.

I'll probably try the Larsens or the CrossMarks next, or just go to Mtn High and do what Larry tells me

jg

mtbr member

Email me your addy...

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I'll take 'em. I almost pulled the trigger on prodealing a couple of pairs of Nev's and BG's, but instead went with 2.24 and 2.4 Mutanos. So far, so good.
    mikemac@bigfootproduction.com

I'll send you the Nevegals. They've been ridden in Angel Fire, on Porcupine Down in Moab and just a little bit on the dust around here. If it's a fair trade send me the ones you have. If not, let me know what's fair. I know that if I keep them around here I'll just end up tossing them. I'd rather someone used them.

MM

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Go with the Kenda's, I ride my 575 with them and they are tight as can be!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I just replaced my Maxxis High Rollers with Continentals. I use a Vertical Pro on the front and a Gravity on the back. Both are 2.3. I live about 2 miles from Waterton Canyon so that's my most frequent ride. Most of the rest of my riding is in the Vail-Eagle-Leadville area. The Contis track very well and handle bombing down the ski areas pretty well. no compaints so far.

mtbr member

My 2 cents

Wanted to see if there are other Colorado front range riders out there that may have some suggestions for our loose conditions here. I've considered either Kenda Nevegal 2.1's, or Panaracer smoke & Dart combo 2.1, anyone else use those or have other good tire suggestions? Would like to save some weight and rolling resistance, but still have something that grips fairly well. Thanks!!
    I had the Smoke & Dart combo on my last bike for a while. They were horrible for front range riding. Don't do it. The Fire XC Pros hook up much better when climbing, and corner better on downhills. I've heard good things about the Nevegals, as well as Continental Vertical Pros.

Quote Originally Posted by j-dawg
    I just asked the guys at Road 34 in FC this questions yesterday. They are fans of Larsen TTs, which apparently are supposed to roll pretty well.
    My 575 came with Larsen TTs and I took them off after my first ride. While they may roll well, the tread is way too low-profile for a lot of the loose conditions along the front range. If what you like is smooth hardpack, then go for it. If you ride places like White Ranch, don't do it.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I rode Larsen TT's on my previous bike as well, they are light and fast for the compound, but yes way to low profile for front range, don't hook up enough on the loose stuff.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    A follow up:

With the dry, dusty conditions we have had around here my Blue Groove up front wasn't holding a line very well so I made the switch to the Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 in the Gooey Gluey compound.

I've got about 100 miles on it so far, and I'm really impressed. It is definitely bigger and heavier than the Blue Groove 2.35, but the weight difference isn't noticeable on the trail. It rolls comparable, maybe better, than the Blue Groove but sticks to the trail in the loose stuff much better. Still keeping the Nevegal for the rear for now, but may try another BB when the Nevegal wears out.

A side bonus was that with the huge volume of the BB, my Pike felt more compliant over the small stuff. Added bonus for a tire.

I'll post some longer term thoughts on this tire up after I get some more miles on it.

Who is John Galt?
    I use Panaracer Fires on my old bike and they hook up so well I worried about breaking chains. Have switched to Nevegals with StickE tread on the 575 and love how they take the slick rock. Beauty of the Fires is they are so cheap. And they really last. I am sure I will go through the Nevegals pretty quick but when they are gone I'll get another set.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I switched from the Nevegals to the Geax Barro TNT. The Nevs were really good but the Barros are a bit tougher, stiffer, and roll faster without giving up much grip. The Barro front feels a bit less grippy on steep turns but it hasn't washed out or come close so I guess it's just the way that tread sounds/feels.

I like the Nevegals and Barros in Colorado- the Barros did admirably well this weekend all over Breckenridge- with no loss of grip anywhere, even on the steepest loose climbs.

I'm getting ready to try the Nobby Nics now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast