Thread: tight and rocky

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

tight and rocky

i use to live in oregon and road fire roads and big down hill on my yeti arc and loved it. i now live in austin tx and the the trails are tight single track with lots of rocks big and small. what kinda geometry would be the best for this type of riding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by harveyjl26
    i use to live in oregon and road fire roads and big down hill on my yeti arc and loved it. i now live in austin tx and the the trails are tight single track with lots of rocks big and small. what kinda geometry would be the best for this type of riding?
    The ARC should be fine. You may have to adjust stem length/height (for quicker steering) and tires (for more cush and grip) however. But the biggest difference would be adjusting to the new riding style. I went the other way, from the tight East Coast stuff to the wide open high desert riding and my bike setup has not changed much (except for wider bars since I don't hook trees anymore and fatter tires because i'm getting older and need more cush for the tush)...

In my mind, I can do it!
    I am in Dallas with pretty much the same terrain and love the 575 but you may also like the AS-R. In all honesty, the AS-R is probably better for this type of terrain but I sure like the ride I get on my 575.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I know what you mean about rocky here in Austin. The ARC is a great hardtail...sounds like you are sticking with it. Maybe you could try some wider tires or at least wider up front. That will help a little with the rocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    joltz, what do you ride, you live in austin

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    joltz, what do you ride, you live in austin
    Yeti 575. I'm running a 2.35 kenda BG up front and 2.1 kenda Nev rear. This combo seems to really hook up for me on the rocks around here. I absolutely love this bike for the technical riding. I also have a Redline monocog 29er but thats just for fun and SS'ing. 575 is the primary bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

i'm in austin on a 575

i live in austin too and have a 575.
    sunday at the top of the hill of life, there were three yeti 575's that had just finished the climb at about the same time.
    the longer travel on the 575 might be more helpful if you plan on riding the back trails and city park. if your mainly sticking to walnut creek and trails with out ledges, the ASR is going to be perfect.

Who is John Galt?
    Can you Austin guys gived me some suggestions on places to ride? I'm coming down in December, haven't decided whether to ship the Yeti or rent something locally. What's the weather, trail conditions like mid-month?
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    here's a link to the Austin Ridge Riders trail site

The Green Belt will offer the most bang for the buck if you need a variety of trails. the best trails on the Green Belt are not shown on the maps.

City Park is a favorite technical ride. Good for the yeti.

Walnut creek has lots of twisty xc style trails, but easy to get lost with out a guide.

To schedule local guided ride, put a post on this Bike Mojo Board.

Bicycle Sports Shop is located near the Green Belt and has rentals. i've rented a blur there in the past, but didn't see one on the rental page.

Who is John Galt?
    Thanks for the info, hate to leave the Yeti at home but if there's a Blur around I could do that.
    What, me hurry?