mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Thoughts on DT Swiss X1600 on SB-66?

Hi Yeti owners, Jenson just delivered my SB-66. It's the 'Enduro Plus' build which includes the DT Swiss X1600 wheels. I'd be surprised if Yeti spec'd a wheel that couldn't handle big tires and some abuse on a bike like this, but the wheels say 2.25" max and they do look skinny. What are your thoughts on putting a 2.4" tire up front and riding this like the AM bike it is? I'm on a budget and don't want to start upgrading components, but if these wheels are really just meant for XC I should probably try and get rid of 'em while they are brand new. Fwiw, I'm 165 lbs and not that aggressive, though I do ride some steep rocky technical terrain (just not very fast). Thanks for your advice!
    Barc

mtbr member
    I think those are the same wheels that came on my SB66 Race. I have 2.35 running tubeless. No problem. I'm about 200lbs and ride real rocky terrain. I say keep them and ride them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueallah View Post
    I think those are the same wheels that came on my SB66 Race. I have 2.35 running tubeless. No problem. I'm about 200lbs and ride real rocky
    terrain. I say keep them and ride them.
    Yeah, 'Enduro Plus' = wheels & axles upgraded to the race kit. My gut is that a company like Yeti wouldn't sell an AM 'super bike' for $4,500 and spec wheels that can't handle AM tires and AM riding. But my gut also tells me to super size the fries, so there's that. I'm gonna take your advice and just ride it. Thanks Blueallah.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Ride the phat tires you want ... if the tires rolls over a bit add 5 psi!

mtbr member
    Personally, for that kind of money, I feel like Yeti ought to be speccing a proper all mountain wheel set. The rims on the 1600s are pretty effing narrow for the style of riding the SB is designed for. Kind of a shame that if you want a proper wheelset for this frame (on a complete bike,) you have to ante up for the xtr kit.

I'm planning on purchasing one in the spring and am hoping that Yeti decides to offer a change in kit between now and then. I'm sure the 1600s are plenty nice, but they aren't intended for 2.35"+ tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ordered some Easton Havens. The DT Swiss wheels are headed to eBay. Web wisdom seems to be that a 2.4" tire will work on an 18mm rim, but it will work better on a wider rim. Hoping not to take too big a bath on this wheel swap.

mtbr member
    Did you find a deal on the Havens? My buddy bought some a few weeks ago for $500 brand new.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm paying $540 shipped. Looks like chain reaction has em for even less.

Just Ride!!!!!
    I have the Enduro Plus with DTS X1600 and I think they are just fine. Survived many 1-1/2~2 foot drops and I've taken it to super rocky Annadel trails and stayed true. The Nobby Nic Performance tires that came with the bike are narrow on these wheels, they measure 2.019" with a digital caliper. I've since switched to 2.3 Bronson Race and they measured 2.23" on these wheels. Unless you are a hardcore DH rider, they should be fine. BTW, I weight a tad over 200lbs fully loaded.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've been running a 2.35" Nevegal on a similar width wheel and I agree that they work fine. From what I've read, wider rims allow you to run lower pressure and they reduce tire movement (squirm, roll, whatever it's called), making the tire perform better. Who knows if that's something I'll even notice. And to mecam's point, maybe I don't need such a fat tire at all. But if I go smaller my friends will make 'size' comments and I'll have to buy a Corvette.

I read that Yeti sees the SB-66 as more of a 6" trail bike that descends well, rather than an Enduro bike that climbs well. That might explain why they spec it with narrow rims, a triple crank, narrow bars, and a 32mm fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This X1600 rim looks very similar to X430 rims used to come stock for the Pivot Mach 5.7. Sleeve jointed 430gr 18mm inner width, totally outdated rim bead design to give this spectacular frame a lower price point. The worse thing is with 28 holes drilling you can't put ZTR Arch EX rims on it. You either have to go lighter with Crest rims or buy new spokes with a lightbicycle carbon AM rims. I would sell them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My X1600s are on eBay now (for a great price imo). For 2013 Yeti continues with the X1600 on the Race. The Pro has a slightly wider rim. Interesting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by barcolounger View Post
    My gut is that a company like Yeti wouldn't sell an AM 'super bike' for $4,500 and spec wheels that can't handle AM tires and AM riding. But my gut also tells me to super size the fries, so there's that. I'm gonna take your advice and just ride it. Thanks Blueallah.
    Ya, I thought the samething...but that all changed after 15 miles on a beginner loop testing out my new $4500.00 Yeti. My Yeti SB95 came with Swiss DT XR400s which are way too narrow for AM or XC.

mtbr member
    Yeti does there R&D on all there bikes here in the Front range ( Colorado ) and for the most part the wheels hold up !! I have a set of DTS M1900's on my 575 and they have held up the last 2 summers of riding Winter Park (Trestle Bike park ) and Keystone Bike park ! I read the reviews of these wheels b4 I bought my bike back in 11 and seen a lot of bad reviews of them, so i said that is going to be the first upgrade I am going to do !! Now 2 Summers later they are still Holding up and only had them trued 3 times !!
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Glad the wheels are working well YETI_Chris. I haven't heard anyone say that these DTS1600s in don't hold up. Just that wider tires allegedly perform better on wider rims and the max recommended width for the DTS1600 is 2.25".

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This rim weights 430gr. if you add a 60gr tubeless rim strip the setup goes to 490gr.

An ARCH EX rim has 21mm inner and weights 400gr so roughly 1/2lb savings. Flows EX has 25.5mm inner and weights 490gr.

So for similar strength (Arch EX) you accelerate/brake faster and have better stability. For similar weight (Flows EX) you have a rim to exploit the full potential of this frame.

Yes the X1600 will hold up but they also hold you back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'd run 240 hubs. The freehub in the 1600 wheelset will blow up if you really ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I ride in rocky terrain only with Hans Dampf on the X1600 front and 2.25 NN back. The wheels stay true and all is good. If you don't wanna shell out the cash now, ride the hell out of them and know they will serve you well.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    +1 on riding them until they're unhappy - I checked tension on mine on my '95 before I started riding them. I should have increased tension a bit, it may have made them a bit more durable overall.