mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Thoughts on ASR-c for wife

Last year I picked up a SB-66 for myself and really love it. I purchased the endouro version and swapped out all the components for XT. Since then, the components I removed have been gathering dust and I've decided to build up a bike for my wife. Since I like a deal, I picked up a small 2011 asr-c new frame for 1,300. I just received it and it seems about the same size as my SB66 medium which I think will be much to big for my wife. She is 5' 3" and is a casual rider. My question is should I return and start over? I'm not too concerned about budget, just want something that we'll keep for a while. Thanks for comments.

mtbr member
    Been there done that, my wife is also a casual rider and I totally f'd up when I built her a bike. On paper it looks good with all the right light parts but when she started to ride the bike the geo wasn't 'comfy for her. Various stems, bars and saddles and it just wasn't right. She always came back from a ride with either neck pain or mid back pain. No matter how much I tried to convince her it would get better she started to avoid riding. If you can get her to demo a few bikes to see how SHE likes it and include her in the decision process it may be a bit better so you'll have a better starting point in your build.

mtbr member
    My wife has just got herself an ASR5 alloy in xsmall. She's 5'1" and it fits her a treat, she tried a small and it was a bit long and way to tall for her. Don't know if this helps but hope it does.

mtbr member
    My wife is 5'3" and rides a small ASR5. Fits her great but all these women things seem to be built differently...