EDR

For those who have owned both the 575 and SB66...

I'm still wishy-washy....torn if you will.

Here's the simple question for those who have had extensive time on both. If buying right now and you can only add one bike, which do you choose?

Rides include long and short xc riding on smooth trails and lots and lots of technical stuff, both up and down.

I am so reluctant to give up what I know and love (575), but I've got the same "calling" to the 66 that I initially felt for the 575. I've never regretted that decision one bit so I think I'm on to something....lol.

If you are getting tired of my indecisiveness I don't blame you....feel free to tell me to just buy a frick'n bike and be done with it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I'm still wishy-washy....torn if you will.

Here's the simple question for those who have had extensive time on both. If buying right now and you can only add one bike, which do you choose?

Rides include long and short xc riding on smooth trails and lots and lots of technical stuff, both up and down.

I am so reluctant to give up what I know and love (575), but I've got the same "calling" to the 66 that I initially felt for the 575. I've never regretted that decision one bit so I think I'm on to something....lol.

If you are getting tired of my indecisiveness I don't blame you....feel free to tell me to just buy a frick'n bike and be done with it
    Jamie
    You know my position even though I don׳t have much time on the SB. The 2011 575 is plenty stiff and solid and a great bike down hill! Initially during my demo I thought the SB is not as plush down hill since I did play with the new RP23 but now I think that when fully open at position 0 it will give a very plush ride similar or better than the 575. Keep it on 1 and it will provide the sportier less cushy ride. You never need to lock it IMO.
    Simply put you don't give up anything on the ride and get a bike that is about a decade more advanced. You do give up some cash and maybe long term reliability but this argument can take me or you to ride hardtails again.
    I will also be happy to hear others that spent more time on the SB. What do you guys think? Are there moments you miss your trusty 575?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    imho - if you own a 575, get a sb 95 and get the benefit of the 66 and a 29er all in one plus keeping the trusty 575..

mtbr member
    What about a PUSHed Monarch on the 575 ? Does that help close the gap with the SB66?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridetheridge View Post
    What about a PUSHed Monarch on the 575 ? Does that help close the gap with the SB66?
    I don't know. Do you think it will make the 575 a superb climber like the SB?. Will it change the wheel base or the HA?. I don't think so. The SB is more advanced and changing a shock will not change this IMO.
    BTW, I am posting too much lately and not riding, since I have some neck problems

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Went from a '11 575 Race with 160 Talas 36 to an SB 66 Race with a 160 Talas 36 and haven't regretted it. Loved the ride of the 575 until I swung a leg over the 66. Nimble, fast, climbs well and tracks incredibly.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by WaySlowWhitey View Post
    Nimble, fast, climbs well and tracks incredibly.
    "Tracks well" appeals to me. I've never owned a FS bike considered to be a stiff bike.

Yeti575Ca....the SB95 is a good option for many I'm sure, but I'm not interested one bit... for various reasons. Besides, I can't justify two expensive bikes. Got kids to feed ya know

mtbr member
    "Tracks well" appeals to me. I've never owned a FS bike considered to be a stiff bike.

:
    The 11 575 is way stiffer than your 2008 for your refference. Chain stays and pivot were copied from the ASR 7 and were completly redesigned for 2011. Just FYI, I thought the 11 feels as stiff as a 5 spot but the SB is even stiffer with the solid triangle.
    If you only look for a sitffer and heavier bike go with 2011 575 (if you can find one) and you'll feel the big difference.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Yeti575Ca....the SB95 is a good option for many I'm sure, but I'm not interested one bit... for various reasons. Besides, I can't justify two expensive bikes. Got kids to feed ya know
    I have ridden all three 2012 models and I have to say they are all very similar rides. I now own a 2010 575, a 2012 sb66 (currently being built up), and a Banshee Spitfire. Yes I do like trail bikes....anyway to the point.....the 575 to me (both the 2010 and 2012 feel lively and nimble. The emphasis to the 575 for me is the feeling of nothingness (the bike feels very light and very very plush as you know). The SB66 by comparison is more hefty (its not heavy feeling but is more solid and planted in riding than the 575 has ever felt). To me the SB66 suspension and characteristics feel a bit lazy compared to the 575 (not in a bad way) it feels more like a free ride bike with limitless travel than a nimble trail bike. Riding the SB66 on extremely rough terrain (and large freeride features feels like riding a full out dh bike) very progressive. The SB95 by comparison feels a lot like my Banshee, it feels solid like the SB66 but the shortened rear cycle makes it feel more nimble like an xc/trail bike like the 575. For me the SB66 is what i needed in my stable but the SB95 is definitely more trail bike oriented. The 2012 575 is what it has always been a legendary trail bike that in the proper hands excels at just about everything.

Sorry for the long response hope this helps!!!