mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Thinking of a Yeti for '13, but looking for input.

I study marketing which is what led me to Yeti and the brand + community they've built. It's impressive.

A 575 or ASR5 has been on my radar for a few years, but the expense always weighs heavy on me. I have plenty of expensive hobbies (I race motocross where a bike is 8k + trailer, travel, etc.) and have a tough time justifying to myself the 3k expense of a 575 for example.

Here's where I'm looking for input - I currently have a Giant Reign and really had a great time last year with it. 700 miles and over 100k feet of climbing - I really enjoyed the bike. The Reign is spec'd well and has a very welcoming price-point.

But I want a bike with a stiffer feel and maybe better climbing ability (which to be honest is mostly my fork's fault (a 150mm Fox R), not necessarily the Reign itself). But with incredible descents here in Utah, I love the plush feeling of 6" of travel.

Am I really going to gain anything with a 575? (I like the SB66, but no way I'm spending that much on something with pedals). Is the brand and look just luring me in or are there true advantages?

Just looking for convincing opinions.

Generic question, I know, but curious to see what opinions are out there.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    I study marketing which is what led me to Yeti and the brand + community they've built. It's impressive.

A 575 or ASR5 has been on my radar for a few years, but the expense always weighs heavy on me. I have plenty of expensive hobbies (I race motocross where a bike is 8k + trailer, travel, etc.) and have a tough time justifying to myself the 3k expense of a 575 for example.

Here's where I'm looking for input - I currently have a Giant Reign and really had a great time last year with it. 700 miles and over 100k feet of climbing - I really enjoyed the bike. The Reign is spec'd well and has a very welcoming price-point.

But I want a bike with a stiffer feel and maybe better climbing ability (which to be honest is mostly my fork's fault (a 150mm Fox R), not necessarily the Reign itself). But with incredible descents here in Utah, I love the plush feeling of 6" of travel.

Am I really going to gain anything with a 575? (I like the SB66, but no way I'm spending that much on something with pedals). Is the brand and look just luring me in or are there true advantages?

Just looking for convincing opinions.

Generic question, I know, but curious to see what opinions are out there.
    Now there are still some ASR-5 with discount price on some online shops. Maybe you can take a look on them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Competitive cyclist, check em out.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lschen1216 View Post
    Now there are still some ASR-5 with discount price on some online shops. Maybe you can take a look on them.
    Thanks and yeah I know - this isn't 100% about me being a tight-ass, but it's more about "what made you choose Yeti over other comparable and less premium-priced brands?"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I didn't so much choose the brand as the bike (although there is something nostalgic and awesome about Yeti). I had been riding an Ibis Mojo for a few years, which I was pretty happy with, but got to ride one of the SB-95 prototypes at Outerbike in 2011. Handling and climbing ability were dead-on with the Mojo, but the extra rollover of the big wheels and much stiffer frame did it for me.
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I was in the market for a new FS bike ... i'd been on 6" FSR-based Titus '03 to '10 and replaced it with a 7" FSR-based Titus which became a DH/FR targeted bike ... since I'd moved to NE PA and the trails were much rockier than when I was in Austin TX I wanted a "solid" 29er FS trail bike, with shortish chainstays and "progressive" geometry - not a old-school norba/xc race bred bike. A 4" travel 29er was not enough for what I wanted, and most of them weren't built to the solidity that I felt I needed for a long term bike.

I was open to the DW-Link, Maestro, or other well done 2-short-link style frame.

Owing to where I lived my opportunities for test rides were dramatically limited.

My short list when the decision point came around in February of '12 came down to one or two bikes that were then-available, and one or two that "imminent" - I decided that the best crossing of interests, geometry, build, etc., was the SB95. It was ordered in March and received in June. My bike weighs in around 32#, which is 5# less than the weight of my Titus when it is kitted up for XC/AM use (at that point a '05 SuperMoto frameset with Marz 66 RC2x fork and Fox DHX4 coil shock) and on par with how the Titus was originally built-out in '03 (Quasi-Moto, Fox Vanilla RLC 125 fork, Vanilla RC coil shock).

The fact of the "cache" that Yeti has, and their community, were added-icing on the cake.

I have been exceedingly happy with the SB.

EDR
    Never ridden a Reign but I can't imagine the 5 or 575 could possibly be stiffer, it's just not really possible with the single pivot design vs. a multi link or whatever you call the DW or Maestro.

The SB design I can see being much stiffer than the sp's. If stiffness if truly a priority look elsewhere is my advice.

mtbr member
    this isn't 100% about me being a tight-ass, but it's more about "what made you choose Yeti over other comparable and less premium-priced brands?"
    Compare with Santa Cruz and Yeti will become your less premium-priced brand. For what you get Yeti is very competitively priced even when compared to big names. Example: Trek Fuel EX9 with several house-brand components has a MSRP of $4200 and an ASR5 with XT Race kit has MSRP of $4100. All mountain bikes seem way overpriced, but IMO Yeti is not anymore excessive than the other guys.

jddist
    May 2008
    What year reign is it? I had a 575 for 2 years as my main bike. Then went to a Pivot Firebird for 6 months and then a Yeti 7, which is my current ride. All that time I also have a 2008 reign with low end build kit I keep at my parents house for when I am in town, which is about 3 time a year. Every time I get on the reign I am amazed how much I like it. Granted, it could not replace the 575, bird, or 7 as my main bike but it was pretty close. If it was a newer model with the slacker HTA and a better build kit it most likely could have replaced the 575. The Reign is a really great bike and a heck of a value. IMO I don't think you will gain anything going to a 575, but like girlfriends, to each is own.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    What year reign is it? I had a 575 for 2 years as my main bike. Then went to a Pivot Firebird for 6 months and then a Yeti 7, which is my current ride. All that time I also have a 2008 reign with low end build kit I keep at my parents house for when I am in town, which is about 3 time a year. Every time I get on the reign I am amazed how much I like it. Granted, it could not replace the 575, bird, or 7 as my main bike but it was pretty close. If it was a newer model with the slacker HTA and a better build kit it most likely could have replaced the 575. The Reign is a really great bike and a heck of a value. IMO I don't think you will gain anything going to a 575, but like girlfriends, to each is own.
    It's a 2010 and this is the consensus I usually come down to when I start thinking of something else. You RARELY hear of someone not liking a Reign and Maestro suspension. My only downer is the straight-through headtube (tapered didn't come til 2011). But I got the bike so cheap I just thought I'd try it.

I may look for a good deal on a 5 or 575, but a new Reign isn't a bad idea either. One of my biggest wants is just a better fork anyway. I XC the bike more than anything, just want more adjustability settings, and just something different, maybe.

What makes the 575 so great? It's obviously popular.

EDR
    If you are xc'ing mostly a 5 might indeed be an upgrade for that riding.

How much does the Reign weigh? A few pounds might easily be shed going to a 5 and stiffness is not necessarily a big deal for xc riding unless you are quite heavy. Heck the 575 can be 27lbs easy...mine is +30 I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueallah View Post
    Compare with Santa Cruz and Yeti will become your less premium-priced brand. For what you get Yeti is very competitively priced even when compared to big names. Example: Trek Fuel EX9 with several house-brand components has a MSRP of $4200 and an ASR5 with XT Race kit has MSRP of $4100. All mountain bikes seem way overpriced, but IMO Yeti is not anymore excessive than the other guys.
    Yeah I totally agree. The SC Blur LT looks great too, but where are these prices coming from? And same with a 575 compared to a Reign 1 or 0 for example. The Reign will be as much or more.

Thanks for the input.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Is the brand and look just luring me in or are there true advantages?
    This is a really great question.

Obviously, it's impossible for me to give an objective opinion on this one, so I'll spare you the sales pitch (Full disclosure: for a guy who makes a living as a sales manager, I'm a surprisingly awful salesman).

What I can tell you is that I've been around the bike industry a long time in many different capacities, and I've never in my life seen a company where its customers have such a relationship with the brand. It's really hard to articulate exactly why (even for those of us who work at Yeti), but that sort of loyalty/passion from our customers breeds an incredibly deep sense of responsibility in us. Our #1 fear is letting you guys down.

Do our bikes ride great? Of course, but honestly there are tons of great bikes out there. Do we do everything possible to treat our customers well? Absolutely, but I don't think we're unique in that regard either.

All I can say is that it's this distinct, unquantifiable "Tribe" mentality. I'm not sure anyone can really explain it, but I know we'll never take it for granted.

JP
    Last edited by John P.; 01-28-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    All I can say is that it's this distinct, unquantifiable "Tribe" mentality. I'm not sure anyone can really explain it, but I know we'll never take it for granted.
    Buying a Yeti seems analogous to joining a family clan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i got my sb-66 because i wanted something i guess different. in CT, there really arent any yeti shops (which is why i got mine from a cousin in NC). I actually bought my bike without ever riding one let alone seeing one in person and I have not looked back at all. the switch platform functions great and anyone I let ride my bike thinks the same thing about it. I dont know how the other yeti's out there ride but it will be tough to get me off this one for a few years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It's the little things - I placed an order for a couple shirts and socks (love the wool socks, the bigger ones) on the Yeti website. If you order >$100, free shipping. Order on Tuesday night, I get the package delivered Saturday (east coast). Another time I ordered a bearing rebuild set for my 575, it was missing one piece, no problem overnighting when I called Yeti.

In contrast, bought a crankset from backcountry, free shipping, took over two weeks for delivery! Tracked on UPS, showed me a delivery date, when that date came, ups says "at sender request, product given to post office for final delivery". Three days later I got my crank. Last time I do business there.

dave
    12 SB66c
    08 575

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Obviously, it's impossible for me to give an objective opinion on this one, so I'll spare you the sales pitch (Full disclosure: for a guy who makes a living as a sales manager, I'm a surprisingly awful salesman).
    JP
    I would like to disagre with that statement!
    In my view, you are doing exactly what any customer would only dream of from a salesrep by interacting so openly on this forum. You are only confused by assuming that you require the skills of the stereotypical used car sales person - Give customers what they dont really want or need (i.e. Satna Cruz? )

Now... As for you fear No.1... Can you please make the SB95 available in that lovely yellow you now offer for the SB66? Just saw pictrures on the Yetifan FB page from Corebike, and it is stunning!

T.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just purchased an ASR-5 frame from Competitive Cyclist. I too was lurking on them for 2 years.
    My choices were the the SZ Blur, RM Element MSL, and the ASR-5.

Now i just need to find components to build up the frame.
    Planning on XT components, RaceFace crank/steam/bar. Haven't decided on wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you are xc'ing mostly a 5 might indeed be an upgrade for that riding.

How much does the Reign weigh? A few pounds might easily be shed going to a 5 and stiffness is not necessarily a big deal for xc riding unless you are quite heavy. Heck the 575 can be 27lbs easy...mine is +30 I think.

Before I gave in and bought a drop post, I had my Reign at 29.4 lbs. But when I say I XC most of the time, you have to consider where I ride (Northern Utah, high elevation). So May climb for 1.5 hours in the first part of the loop, but then I'll bomb down for almost 10 miles, for example. The Reign and 6" of travel really is awesome, that's why I was thinking of the 575 - a little bit less and maybe couple that with some weight loss. But I bet its close.

mtbr member
    Try your hardest to actually test ride the bikes on real trails. Look for demo days and find the shops that have demo fleets or trails to test out the bikes. I was in the market last year for a FS bike that I would use mostly for New England XC riding that would be fun on the descents. I test rode a Reign and found it to be a ton of fun descending but a real pain for climbing. I did more homework and found a shop that carried Yeti near me. He had a demo fleet that I was able to take out on local trails. I was first really impressed with the idea of the AS-R 5. and after riding it I was really impressed with how it rode. It was a nimble XC bike that felt like a Porsche. I had to be conscious of my line when descending, but it was a huge jump from my hardtail and it climbed great. I was totally sold on it and then I rode the SB-66. I was blown away. It was a trail destroyer on the descent and it climbed really well too. Once again sold, until... I rode the SB-95. I own the 95. I was hesitant to go to a 29er (I don't know why). I test rode a Tallboy, Niner Jet9, Kona Satori. All of them were really fun rides. The SB-95 destroyed all of them. It's not the lightest bike in the world, but it doesn't feel heavy either. It is almost as good as the 66 for descending, but climbs even better. It is a dream bike. I really wanted the 66 in turquoise so I settled for the Silver model with Turquoise lettering. Now, low and behold, 2013 models come in turquoise.

I would highly consider the SB bikes. I'm sure you've read up on the suspension, but it is insane. The sticker price is certainly higher than the 575 and the AS-R 5, but once you get around 3K, going up another 500 isn't really all that much more to save.

Enjoy!
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My first major mountain bike has been my 09 Yeti 575.. I love this bike and have done most upgrades I can do at this point. I have ridden sb66, sb95, niner rip 9, spider 29er...
    I was blown away by the SB95 when first came out...and am still looking to buy one this year....

Also great article on Yeti as a company in this months issue of What Mountain Bike Magazine. Gives you insight to company culture and expectations. Made me proud to be part of the Tribe! I have gotten the opportunity to visit the Corp office last year with my GF and she was equally impressed on how down to earth but serious about what they do. She sold her Stumpy and asked me to build her a 575!

I was in my local Starbucks yesterday and my Yeti sweatshirt on the chair and headphones on....I guy stopped to let me know he rode a ASR 5 and lives in Denver and how happy we are with our choices...

The magazing article mentions about once being part of the tribe, people look at you and your bike a lil bit different

Proud to be part of the tribe and hope to make the meet later this year with my gf and her 575!