mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Thinking about a SB 66 ?

Hi all,

Im thinking about purchasing a Yeti SB 66 Carbon when they come out but I would like to know your views and experiences.

Im 5' 9" so would a medium fit me Ok as ive read that they have a long top tube 24" normally Ive only ever had around 23"

I have two sets of forks I Fox 36 160mm RLC & RS Rev's 150mm WC, what do people prefer to use. I understand the 36 is much stiffer than the 32 but Im wanting to know about the ride height and does it make a massive difference to the bike how it rides.

I have read a few things about the SB 66 blowing through its travel very easy is this true?

Is this bike more suited to more XC or DH situations? I ask this as I have a Intense Carbine at present and its more xc orientated when it points down it really struggles and hates jumping.

Does anyone know what type of BB style it will come with? Press fit?

Thank you

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    Hi all,

Im thinking about purchasing a Yeti SB 66 Carbon when they come out but I would like to know your views and experiences.

Im 5' 9" so would a medium fit me Ok as ive read that they have a long top tube 24" normally Ive only ever had around 23"

I have two sets of forks I Fox 36 160mm RLC & RS Rev's 150mm WC, what do people prefer to use. I understand the 36 is much stiffer than the 32 but Im wanting to know about the ride height and does it make a massive difference to the bike how it rides.
    I think the 36 will give a veery tall front. I have a 160mm BOS Deville on mine, and it took some time to adjust to the high front after coming from a 140mm Lefty Max on my old 575.
    I have read a few things about the SB 66 blowing through its travel very easy is this true?
    You have probably heard that from one place, and everybody else disagree.
    Is this bike more suited to more XC or DH situations? I ask this as I have a Intense Carbine at present and its more xc orientated when it points down it really struggles and hates jumping.
    Both. Climbs like a goat, points wherever you want it down the hill. Feels lighter due to much mass consentrated around the BB.
    Does anyone know what type of BB style it will come with? Press fit?
    Normal 73mm threaded

Just my point of view. I am planning to use my SB for Enduro racing this summer, and I will try it in the DH park where I usually hang out. Probably will keep my DH rig, but am curious if the SB will be sufficient.

mtbr member
    Medium should be fine with a short stem. I am 5 10 running 70mm and the fit is good.
    The bike itself is most likely the best 1 bike do it all money can buy.
    Excellent pedaling, climbing, stabilty and predictability everywhere.
    Too bad I have not ridden mine for the last 2.5 weeks as it begs to go out and play (injury).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Guys

Anyone else want to give me some information?

Ive ordered a medium anyway!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You'll love the bike. I'm 5' 11" and a large fits me perfect. Haven't had a chance to hit much other than Waterton a bunch of times yet but hope to next weekend if the weather stays warm for a week.

No complaints so far. My first bike with tubeless setup. I'm rolling 3 to 5 mph faster at 25 lbs on this setup than on my Stumpy with 55 lbs and tubes. Much faster bike.

26 for life.
    Where as I'm 5'11" & a medium fits perfectly. The 24" TT with a 65mm stem & inline post is similar to my old ride.
    Still sorting the set up, may go to a shorter stem & still sorting spacers under the stem.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks again.

Well this will be my first Yeti after god know how many Instene's

Im normally running a 50mm stem, do you think its to short?

And what are personnels thoughts on 36's compaired to 32 fork set ups?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    Thanks again.

Well this will be my first Yeti after god know how many Instene's

Im normally running a 50mm stem, do you think its to short?

And what are personnels thoughts on 36's compaired to 32 fork set ups?
    I'm running a 50 and wide Haven bars and it feels good - haven't had a chance to hit anything to really test it yet.

I'm running 32s and I think I'd prefer 36s. There's enough flex in the 32s even with thru axles that even just on faster mellow stuff I can get the disk to rub due to flex - gotta think that on anything really fast and flowy it's gonna rub pretty decently if I lean it over hard.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    where can i find the stack and reach of different sizes?
    I am 5'8" and is sitting between small and medium

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by cscsw View Post
    where can i find the stack and reach of different sizes?
    I am 5'8" and is sitting between small and medium
    24'' TT seems very long for someone 5'8''. Who knows anymore though, seems the paradigm is shifting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    5'11" on a medium. I usually ride large frames but b/c of the TT, i went medium and w/ a 50mm stem, the bike is setup perfectly.

Specs here.Yeti Cycles // Ride Driven

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrakt51 View Post
    5'11" on a medium. I usually ride large frames but b/c of the TT, i went medium and w/ a 50mm stem, the bike is setup perfectly.

Specs here.Yeti Cycles // Ride Driven
    Ya, I'd think a small with a 60-90mm stem would work for 5'8''. Unless he has a long torso.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I haven't ridden any bike with an RP23 that doesn't blow through the travel on big drops. I would ask your LBS to try to get one with an RC4. I like this frame and might purchase one later this year. If my LBS can't get it with an RC4 I might look at other frames, as I don't want to drop that kind of cash and then have to purchase the shock that should be an option to begin with.

www.yetifan.com
    6ft (just) and riding a Med with a 70mm stem and its just perfect.

You might find you use all the travel as you will be hitting stuff faster and harder than you are used to.