mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Thinkin about gettin a Yeti...

I'm in the market for a new FS and i have heard nothing but awesome things about Yeti's. I was wondering where I should get it. And what components yall have on yours. Thanks

Nick

ps im thinkin about the 575

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I fully recommend talking to the guys at Full Cycles

They will offer you awesome deals if you phone them

My 575 build is shimano Xt gruppo, Rock Shox Pike 454 Air U-turn, Hope Pro 2 / Dt 5.1 wheels, thomson stem and seatpost, Answer carbon bars...

Ah here it is.. since the picture, the mentioned thomson post was added, dual control levers were replaced by regular Xt levers and 07 xt shifters, and rotor size was changed to 203 front, 180 rear...

the 575 in its natural environment

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NWilhelm

ps im thinkin about the 575
    Think about the type of riding that you do and what you want in the bike. I'm not sure how the riding is in AL.

A 4" travel bike can be a great climber and great at twisty stuff and generally will be lighter and quicker than a 5-5.5 inch travel bike. If you ride smooth to moderately nasty trails, a 4" travel bike is probably the ticket. If you do group rides with lots of climbing, the guy in front is generally riding a 4" race bike more often than a 5"+ bike. The Yeti ASR, Turner Flux, Titus Racer-X, Ventana El Salt are all quality 4" rides. I'm sure their are more. Trek, Gary Fisher and Specialized have less expensive alternatives in the 4"ish category.

If you ride nasty, rocky, techie stuff, a 5"+ bike offers more cush and generally a slacker head angle to make trips over the bars less frequent. These bikes trade a little weight and efficiency for cush and abilty to handle knarly terrain better. The Yeti 575, Titus Motolite, Ventana El Ciclon or X-5 and Turner 5 Spot are all great bikes in this category with the 575 being the best bang for the buck of the bunch. Go to yeticycles.com and you'll see several stock build kits. A great value is to buy an Enduro kit and swap the parts that you'd like to upgrade - usually the fork to a Pike, the wheels and maybe the crank.

You should try to demo a bunch of bikes on local trails to really nail down what feels best for your riding style on your terrain. The bikes listed do feel different. Enjoy the shopping/demo phase - it's that kid at Christmas feeling.