mtbr member

The Terrible Super Bike....

As in MY super bike

I liked the switch suspension from the minute I figured out the design. At first it looked like a silly gimmick but after reading some articles and seeing some cad animation I was able to see the light. I have wanted a yeti for years. I still have some t-shirts from 92-96 that I bought when I was in junior high school.

I had a titus elguapo I loved (2010) that broke. Replaced that with a stumpy evo (hated from the start) and started looking for a new bike again less than three weeks after buying the stumpy. I kept the stumpy for a year and pretty much just threw parts at it trying to make it what I wanted. But BB30 crank bearings suck no matter what brand you buy. I did put a pike on it that really did help the bike alot but it was still a horst link, air shock bike....

With the specs on the SB being so close to what I wanted I was prety sure it'd fit the bill but the dealers in my state are "non-stocking dealers" whatever that means? I had to guess on the size and went with a medium, turned out to be perfect. Competitive cyclist came through with a great deal. I bought a complete race build with the plan of selling alot of the stock parts as new and putting alot of my parts on it. I kept my pike fork, hope brakes, king/stans wheels, and wtb seat. I ran the bike for a few rides with the stock 3x10 converted to 2x with a bash and then went to 1x10 with a race face stagger tooth ring.

So far I really like the bike. It's not as plush in the small stuff as a horst link, but it doesn't settle in the travel as much when climbing. The bottom bracket is lower than my other bikes (other than that f'ed up 3.5gen el guapo) but with the way the suspension works the bike seems to stay higher in it's travel and doesn't sag as much.

I wasn't too happy to see that the tire can still contact the seat tube after a big hit. But after coming home and checking my shock pressure I don't think I had the schrader adapter engaged all the way last time I added a few psi and I was clear down around 160-170 psi. I usually weigh around 170-175 when riding and with my style I tend to use up alot of travel playing around. I've been messing with a couple different volume spacers from fox too. Went for a big ride yesterday in Davis (WV) and the contact didn't happen again so I'd say that it was rider/mechanic error on my part last time with the shock pump. I may send the shock to push over the winter for the big hit kit but we'll see.

I was only able to find a 36 tooth stagger tooth ring and it's a bit big for my normal riding. I'd like to have a 34 but they are on back order everywhere. But even having to stomp on some climbs this SB still does way better than anything else I've ever climbed with.

I think that's enough rambling on, here's some pics!

"I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    That looks perfect. The white rims w/ the turquoise looks rad!

You wrote, " I liked the switch suspension from the minute I figured out the design. At first it looked like a silly gimmick but after reading some articles and seeing some cad animation I was able to see the light."

Can you link me to this animation?

thanks.

mtbr member

I found this and I'm still looking for the animation.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    I found this video.
    Click on "Performance .07"
    Yeti Cycles / SWITCH TECHNOLOGY

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That did turn out real good with the white wheels / red hubs and black pike,
    I really like the "Switch " also , it does what it says it does , I had a Horst Link Enduro with an air shock too....bad combination