Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Talk me out of an ASR-5 alloy

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  yeti575nut 
#1 ·
With the Alloy being discontinued for 2013, the supply of 2012 alloy frames is quickly dwindling. I am probably going to purchase the frame today or tomorrow and start building it up over the next few months.

The ASR-5 is probably my dream bike. I've never ridden one (I may have a chance to demo one in my size this weekend) but everything I've read seems like it's the perfect choice for my riding style and local trails. Even without having ridden it, though, I'm sold on Yeti. I've wanted a Yeti since about 1990 and have never owned one. I will join The Tribe...it's just a matter of when.

So knowing that I will ride a Yeti, and knowing that the ASR-5 appears to be the absolute best bike in their line for me, I'm very close to grabbing the alloy frame before they are gone. Worst case, if I decide on something else, I can probably return the frame or resell it before I build it up. I may take me several months to get all the parts to build it up anyway.

My other choices are a 2013 ASR-5C or ASR Carbon. Those are both currently offered. I realize they are two different geometries but both are also on my short list. The 5C is just a weight savings. Not sure it's worth a $1000 increase in cost. The ASR Carbon is a beautiful bike and very similar to my current bike's geometry. But, as a dedicated racer, it also may be overkill considering I don't currently race and, even though I intend to start again, it will be casually.

I'm not at all interested in a 29er. The SB-66 is sweet but I don't need the extra suspension for the added weight. I'm currently on a 26" HT!

So talk me out of the ASR-5 Alloy or one's going to be in my basement by next week...sight unseen!

See less See more
#3 ·
No can do. I just had one built up for me, and first ride was two days ago. I already have a very nice 29er FS, but I don't believe the 26er is dead and will continue to own one. Look at "Welcome My New Baby" thread. The frame that most of the components came off of was actually a very light frame, probably as light as the ASR-5, but this frame feels so much better, so much stronger. There are some other changes as well that would help rolling resistance, but I'm loving this shock/frame so far. Buy it.

#4 ·
You'll love the bike...aluminum or carbon. I picked up an aluminum ASR5 last year and its been everything I was hopping it would be. But In hindsight, i do regret not picking up the carbon frame......I believe it would have made an already great bike just that much better....especially for those times you decide to race. I only say this because I've found the ASR5 to perform so well that I'll be riding it for years to come. The carbon frame would have made it that much sweeter of a trail bike ....with the weight savings I can only imagine how well it must climb.

#5 ·
But In hindsight, i do regret not picking up the carbon frame......I believe it would have made an already great bike just that much better....especially for those times you decide to race.
That's where I am. My procrastination resulted in me missing out on any 2012 ASR-5Cs in my size. The 2013's are $2400 and I can't realistically considering spending $1300 more on the carbon for 3/4 lbs. of weight savings. Would I have done it six months ago when the 2012s were $1900? Probably. But too late.

Deciding between an $1100 alloy versus a $2400 carbon is easy even if I can afford the latter.

#7 ·
Wrong forum if you want to be talked OUT of buying a Yeti!! I own a 2011 ASR5 alloy that I built up a little over a year ago. I bought it without demo-ing & I absolutely LOVE this bike. I love the long toptube as I have a long torso. I love the way the rear suspension seems to soak up the small bumps so well but never bottoms out on me. I have owned other 26" FS and hard tails and even 29" FS and hard tails. Honestly my ASR5A is the first bike I've ever owned that has made me stop wondering "if there is something better out there" for my riding style. I don't get big air but I do get a some, I weigh 225# and I ride hard. I tend go over obstacles not around them. I'd say my riding style is agressive xc and this bike seems perfect for it( see photo below)

The bike is solid and stiff. It's the most connected i've felt to the trails on an FS bike. It climbs amazingly well and is just a blast to ride. I've actually considered buying another 2012 alloy frame to store away for a few years until my current one has fulfilled its purpose.

Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Mountain bike Natural environment Mountain biking

#10 ·
Hey KevinGT,
Sorry, I won't. I had two great rocky mountain bikes before this frame- one XC oriented (Element) and one Trail (Altitude). This bike rocks uphills with technical stuff. It's stiff and responsive and confident inspiring downhill. you simply fly over rocks rather than go over them :) Demoed a HT niner and it felt sluggish and goofy comapred to the ASR5.
I ride in the Desert and get a lot of rocks hitting the frame and i think alloy is the better choice of me.
Will only be ready to swap for a 27.5 Yeti if it feela the same...

#11 ·
The plot thickens...

I recently found a reasonably good deal on an ASR Carbon. Now I have three choices:

ASR-5 Alloy: Lowest cost option on a new bike. XT build. All online parts.
ASR-5 carbon: Highest cost XT option. Full LBS build.
ASR Carbon: Lowest total cost, but used. XTR.

When I consider my riding style is more XC/Trail than it is Trail/AM, the ASR Carbon makes the most sense. Its geometry is closer to what I'm used to and it's stupid light. But it is used. It looks to be in great condition but you never know. I worry about the durability of a pure race bike but I doubt it differs greatly in durability from the ASR-5C.

Each option has it's own advantages. Having finally ridden an ASR, I know for sure that that's the bike I want...now just need to decide which version.

Any further advice?

#13 ·
You guys suck at talking people out of buying a Yeti. ;)

The Yeti gods helped me make my decision last night. The incredible deal on the ASR Carbon was on Ebay for a total of about 2 hours before someone snatched it up. I should have moved faster. The 2011 with full XT went for $2200. So one of my three choices was eliminated at about 9 PM.

Then, at about 10:30 PM, I started my initiation process to The Tribe. I've been watching the ASR-5 Alloy in a size Small in Black Ano inventory creep down every day. I checked last night and saw it was at 1 remaining. I placed my order and can officially say I've purchased a Yeti.

Now comes the fun part...buying all the parts. I'm set on the drivetrain (full XT) and brakes (XT) and fork (Fox 32 Float 120) but still up in the air on wheels and cockpit.

Thanks for the help in avoiding this purchase! Can't wait to build it up!

#15 ·
I think the alloy is a great value!!

Im on a alloy 575 and love it and Im sure the asr will "flick your bic" just right..

My cousin is doing the moab utah to colorado ride this year and has a carbon specialized and says hes having issues with the ability to ad a load to the frame being carbon.
I guess its not recommended to have bags and such added, not sure if thats true but if you ever thought of doing a multi day ride like that it may be worth looking into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.