Sooz

taking Yati ARC tubeless

Hi. I have recently installed Mavic Crossmax SL's on to my Yeti ARC and and running Crossmark tires with tubes. I have been experimenting with and enjoying lower pressures, and the pinch flats that go with that. Hence I would like to convert to tubeless. What is involved in going to tubeless with the Crossmax SL rims? They came with the tubeless valves and dont appear to require rim tape due to the spoke ends being hidden. Any other tips and suggestions would be welcome. I ride general trail as well as some cross country race and x-terra off road tri's.

EDR
    I believe those rims are UST. Look for the label on the rim. If so nothing is needed other than a UST tire. With ust tires on ust rims no tape, no sealant is required to make them work. You may wish to use sealant anyhow b/c any thorn will cause a flat. You can use non ust tires without tubes but you then open up a can of worms that I don't wish to get into. If you search for "ghetto tubless" and the like you will get pages upon pages of info.

Bottom line is for easiest use, get UST tires and just mount them up. Put in some sealant if you ride in a thorny enviroment and go ride. Carry a tube in your pack for when you do flat.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Get a set of the Mavic UST valves, and mount up a set of UST tires. Use some sealant (I like Orange Seal, but Stan's is a good choice as well) and u r good to go.

I personally like the Schwalbe tubeless ready tires. Not officially UST, but they lock into my Crossmaxes very well.

Sooz
    Thank you all. Seems I am all set. The Crossmarks I currently have are categorized tubeless. How much sealant do you recommend?

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    I put about 4 oz of Orange Seal in each of my tires.

Sooz
    thank-you Mr bacon Jr !

Who is John Galt?
    I went tubeless on my ARC with Mavic Crosstrail wheels and Kenda Nevegal UST tires. I added CaffeLatex to the tires and have been flat free since. Tonight I rode for the first time since the fall and could not get the rear presta valve to open all the way. Feels like the latex is caught in the threads. I was able to get it open just enough to force about 25 psi in there, looked low when I sat on it but it rode like a champ. Trails were slick and it didn't spin at all, no dabs tonight. So strongly recommend this setup, just make sure the sealant doesn't clog your valves.
    What, me hurry?

EDR
    Latex will gum up your valve stems. Super hot water should clear them up. If you are running true ust tires then the regular old Slime works great. Stops pin hole/cactus caused leaks but is not latex based.