mtbr member

Taco style bash 1x on SB95c

So I'm looking for a bashguard for my 95c.* I was surprised by the change in spec and was expecting a 3x10 but the bike came with an XT 2X10 crank, so my usual method of pulling the big ring and replacing it with a bash won't work.* I'm about to drop both stock rings and replace the outer with a Wolftooth 32T N/W.* As far as I can tell, my only option is an ISCG mounted guard of some sort, which is fine, as the 95c has a removable ISCG mount.

With the N/W ring and clutch RD, I won't need a chain guide (and would prefer not to add superfluous stuff), so I am looking for an ISCG mounted taco-style bash guard.* So far, all I have come across is the MRP XCG guard.* According to the MRP site, this comes in a variety of flavors and will fit rings of 36, 40 or 44 outer rings.* I've never used one of these before.* Silly question, but I presume it won't be a problem to use it with a 32t ring?

Another option would be the AMg, though I don't know that I need the upper guide or the Micro, which has an upper and a lower guide.*

The options are confusing!* Anything else I should be looking at?* Any suggestions for one or another?

mtbr member
    I have not picked one up yet myself but according to the web this one should work on a 2x10 Blackspire Defender Bash Guard

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've used both the MRP products on my 95a...they work well. Yes, they work with 32t ring. The AMG has a much more sturdy back plate, but requires a bit of spacers to not hit the rear triangle ... That may but be an issue with the carbon frame though. I ended up cutting the top fin off my AMG when I went narrow-wide ring and it no longer needs the spacers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    The options are confusing!* Anything else I should be looking at?* Any suggestions for one or another?
    Confusing to say the least.

Absolute Black is making narrow-wide chain rings for the 64 BCD inner ring. They also make them for the 104 BCD outer but recommend the 64 BCD option for people on 29ers who spend "most" of their riding on the bigger rear cogs. They say the inner ring results in a better chain line in this case. You could then run a bash on the outer ring.

I don't know if they have a 64 BCD, 32 tooth option yet.

They have a thread over on the drive train forum and mention 28t and 30t options. I'd read through the entire thread and check their site and Facebook page to see if they plan a 32 tooth option.

absoluteBlack chainrings thread

mtbr member
    Even tho I'm running a NW single ring, I want to run a chain guide. Anyone found something better than an e*thirteen by The Hive XCX Guide ?

e*thirteen by The Hive XCX Guide E Type SRAM S3 Black, Chain Guides and Tensioners

mtbr member

Taco style bash 1x on SB95c

I'm running the MRP AMg with a 32t Wolftooth ring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have the XCG on my XO1. It does the trick but I prefer a ring for the extra oomph you can get with a pedal kick to get over something vs skidding over it with the taco.

Blackspire also just came out with a similar taco (no chain guide) type device. Blackspire - BRUISER | Blackspire

What's nice is they have a smaller size one that covers 26-32T. Lower profile than the XCG which covers 36T on smallest size. That might get me over a few things that the XCG contacts today.

Probably will swap out the XCG for the small Bruiser for the extra clearance.