mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Is the switch platform really worth the weight

Seams like a switch bike is almost a 1lb heavier than a comparable single pivot bike (see new 575 vs sb75). Is it really that much better? Not to mention the price increase

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Big boss man View Post
    Seams like a switch bike is almost a 1lb heavier than a comparable single pivot bike (see new 575 vs sb75). Is it really that much better? Not to mention the price increase
    I have spent a lot of time riding all the bikes out there , and the switch is a duel short link bike that actually separates the pedaling forces from the bump forces unlike any dual short link bike I have ridden .

You should test ride all the bikes you can and see which one you like the best and helps you ride better

I do not like single pivot bikes , some guys can deal with them and some can't .

I have an XL frame with a dropper on a SB95C that weighs 27.5 so its not too bad for what it is .

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Re: Pivot Mach 6 - Frame Weight?

Considering that frame weights for the sorts of FS bikes I like vary from 5.5lbs to 7.5lbs(which is a difference of 2 lbs), I see a lot of weight difference amplification on the interweb. Apparently a frame at the bottom end of my weight range builds to 25-26 lbs and heavier frames build to 31-33lbs. It always makes me wonder how this is possible.

What nonsense.

In the general scheme of things, a 1lb difference in a > 25lb bike is 4% and I won't notice it.

I'd rather pick the frame I want from the fit, geometry, strength, stiffness, pedalability, aesthetics, engineering points of view. Weight doesn't come into it.

Tyre choice makes much more difference.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have a SB66. I was lead to believe that if you want a plush, all day bike go for the 575. If you want an aggressive, no compromises bike go for the SB. I agree.

The switch linkage is amazing, but it has its unique characteristics. Its mind blowing how well the bike behaves uphill and then completely different downhill. The frame stays incredibly efficient while pedaling but still descends like a DH bike. So you say where is the downside? Its the in-between. When not climbing or bombing downhill the bike isn't the most plush thing out there. I think that is where the aggressive thing comes into play. Just get more aggressive and the bike responds.

I would guess its not for everyone. If you ride aggressive and slash turns even while XC riding, then the SB might be for you. For me, it is perfect. I came from a Specialized carbon Enduro and while that bike was incredibly light it was a terrible pedaler. The SB is sort of the opposite. I have the full aluminum version and while I notice its a heavier bike in the parking lot it out shines the Enduro on the trail in every way.

For me (an aggressive rider), the extra 1lb is definitely worth it.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'm quite happy with a 1-2 # weight penalty so long as a) it works great and b) the frame is relatively durable.

Where I don't like to pay weight penalty is on the rims and tires, there I think one should target as light as can be had for the minimum durability and lifetime desired.

But I think you're making a tempest in a teacup ... according to this thread the Mach 6 carbon frameset is coming in around 6 3/4 to 7 pounds, which is on-par or heavier than the SB95 carbon frames with a listed weight 5.75#.

The SB75 (which shares the wheel size with the Mach 6) in carbon, should it come out, may or may not be slightly less.

It would be reasonable for the sb75 carbon to weigh slightly less than the sb95 carbon but the sb75 in alloy isn't much lighter than the sb95 alloy so who knows?

mtbr member
    In short: yes.

I've said to countless people that my SB-95 doesn't "feel" like its actual weight. The suspension is responsive and the frame is stiff, which translates into a bike that reacts the way I like it react. If I were to make an upgrade, it would be a stiffer/lighter wheelset. The suspension is worth the extra weight.
    That creep can roll, man.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Is the switch platform really worth the weight

I have a firebird and an asr5c. I haven't ridden an SB outside of a parking lot, but, what i can say is, the decision (whether the weight penalty for dual short link bikes over s single pivots is 'worth it') totally depends on your trail and your style. In norcal we have moderate technical trail with flowy single track and moderate rock gardens, with lots of steep climbing (Skeggs, tamarancho): my 25 lb yeti with am wheels blows those trails away. I really feel the firebird'd extra weight on these trails and won't bother taking it.

Also in norcal we have long gnarly flowy dh's like soquel demo forest with built up drops and highly technical rock garden shuttle dh's like downieville with nasty high speed rooty rocky waterfalls and long technical climbing and technical pedally flat . . . all of which is the forte of a dwlink bike with more travel and some heft to plane over those sections and carry momentum. When i ride the asr5 here it feels like its gonna fly apart and it feels like my body is going through a meat grinder.

So it depends. You can't say whether it's worth it until you ride them both on the trails you plan to ride them on.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ecwashere7 View Post
    In short: yes.

I've said to countless people that my SB-95 doesn't "feel" like its actual weight. The suspension is responsive and the frame is stiff, which translates into a bike that reacts the way I like it react. If I were to make an upgrade, it would be a stiffer/lighter wheelset. The suspension is worth the extra weight.
    +1...what he said!

But then you're asking on a Yeti forum, so what answer do you expect!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    ddptroctor, I actually have the same stable (firebird and asr5c) and agree 100% with your assessment. My asr5c is the fastest trail bike I've ever ridden, especially for the price.

My point being, the swtich seams like alot of marketing for the pros's but tangible con's, cost and weight).

I bet if you tested similar bikes (geo, wheels, tires, and shocks) back to back, single pivot to switch you be hard pressed to tell a difference

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ddptroctor, I actually have the same stable (firebird and asr5c) and agree 100% with your assessment. My asr5c is the fastest trail bike I've ever ridden, especially for the price.

My point being, the swtich seams like alot of marketing for the pros's but tangible con's, cost and weight).

I bet if you tested similar bikes (geo, wheels, tires, and shocks) back to back, single pivot to switch you be hard pressed to tell a difference
    Well , I guess your short duel link "Pivot Firebird" does not work any better that a horst link bike, or a single pivot bike like a moor wood .
    You realize that is what you are saying .

And I spent alot of time riding all the short duel link bikes and the switch does deliver .

mtbr member

When I bought my SB-95, I tested the AS-R 5, 575, SB-66 all in the same day (my LBS has a short loop near the store for a pretty legitimate demo). I noticed a significant difference between the AS-R suspension and the Switch. Significant. All of the bikes had their own merits, but I felt that the SB-95 compromised the least when it came to the type of riding I wanted to do (aggressive XC or AM).
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can you describe the difference you feel with a bike that weighs one pound more? How does it compare to your changing riding weight, which varies more than a pound every day. I swear, I could attach a water bottle to my frame and add a pint of water and I would never be able to tell the difference.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    ^^^ what he said.

If the pound of weight is in the tires then okay.

If the pound is un-sprung weight then MAYBE there's a difference, but I have a hard time feeling it.

Otherwise it's mostly psychological, IMO.