mtbr member

Switch from 575 to SB66C? Or keep 575 & get a 7 inch bike?

I currently ride a 2011 575 and want something new for 2012.

Should I replace it with a SB-66C? (Id move parts off the 575 onto the SB66C, and maybe also get a 160mm 36 fork for it)

Or Should I keep the 575 and build up a second bike? (Id want a pedal-able big bike; something like an Intense Uzzi, Pivot Firebird, etc with a 180mm fork)

I think what would help answer my question is: Does the SB66 pedal as efficiently as the ASR5 (which I used to have) and descend as well as the 575?

If so, that improvement in pedaling efficiency could justify the $3k frame price for me, giving me one very well rounded bike.

But if not, my money seems better spent building up a 7-7.5 inch bike that I can still ride to the top and could also be used for lift access.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    i'm no expert on this since I'm just starting out in the sport. However, if for some reason you decide to replace the 575 and decide to sell the frame, let me know. I just bought a 575 but my buddies are itching for a Yeti now that someone has one in the group. They are pondering a yeti frame and swapping components over...lol
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - stock (for now)

mtbr member
    Keep the 575 and wait for the Switch SB-6/7-8 bike.

I've owned an Asr-7 and now ride a 66. Demo'd a575 only.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Mr. Knowitall
    Went from 575 to SB66, and I can tell you that the bike is firmer uphill than the 575, and more controlled in the steep stuff. It handles differently - of the good sort.

jddist
    May 2008
    At the current close out prices of the 7, that would be my choice. I went from a 575 to a firebird to get something a bit bigger. Rode that for 4 months and then had a chance to get a 7 at a good price. LOVE it. Pedals as good, if not better that the 575, and is sooooooo much plusher than the firebird. I also feel it pedals better than the bird. It's funny cause the bird wins out in almost all departments against the 7 but every time I ride the 7 I just works better for me. At the current price you can't beat it. You get a bigger, more capable bike than the 575 with that special Yeti plush feel while you wait for Yeti to work out the kinks and in the SB platform and also give it some more travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    At the current close out prices of the 7, that would be my choice. I went from a 575 to a firebird to get something a bit bigger. Rode that for 4 months and then had a chance to get a 7 at a good price. LOVE it. Pedals as good, if not better that the 575, and is sooooooo much plusher than the firebird. I also feel it pedals better than the bird. It's funny cause the bird wins out in almost all departments against the 7 but every time I ride the 7 I just works better for me. At the current price you can't beat it. You get a bigger, more capable bike than the 575 with that special Yeti plush feel while you wait for Yeti to work out the kinks and in the SB platform and also give it some more travel.
    The price of an ASR7 sure is tempting. I thought for sure that the Firebird would have been a better pedaling bike with the DW link. Cool to hear the 7 is just as good if not better. I just don't know about the 7 though. The stand-over is pretty high; my Bigtop is 31" and it's about as high as I want to go. I think I could just handle the 32" on the 7, but it's not ideal. I also am not thrilled with the aesthetics of the 7; I find the Uzzi way better looking, but I doubt it pedals all that well compared to the Firebird or 7.

Are you running a 180 or 160 fork on your 7?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    keep the 575 and get a sb 95...thats what im doing

jddist
    May 2008

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cwkrause View Post
    The price of an ASR7 sure is tempting. I thought for sure that the Firebird would have been a better pedaling bike with the DW link. Cool to hear the 7 is just as good if not better. I just don't know about the 7 though. The stand-over is pretty high; my Bigtop is 31" and it's about as high as I want to go. I think I could just handle the 32" on the 7, but it's not ideal. I also am not thrilled with the aesthetics of the 7; I find the Uzzi way better looking, but I doubt it pedals all that well compared to the Firebird or 7.

Are you running a 180 or 160 fork on your 7?
    I am running a 160 Zoch 55 RC3 Ti and love it. Can't even ride my fox 36 RC2 any more. Everyone that hasn't ridden both for an extended period of time will say any DW link bike will pedal better than the 7 hands down. That just hasn't been my personal experience. It might be for longer rides that don't involve a lot of granny gear tech climbing, which is what all my rides are based around. Granted, the bird does not squat as much as the 7, and the rear feels stiffer, more like a 4 in bike, when pedaling, but I question if that actually makes it more efficient. I could be totally wrong, but I think basic physics will tell you that some energy source is needed to produce the anti-squat characteristics and the only energy source on the bike is your legs, so more energy is required from the riders legs. My experience with the bird is that the chain growth that happens when in granny gear up front and the suspension is active causes a lot of pedal kickback/feedback that goes right into my quads. This causes my legs to fatigue quicker than when riding my 7. If I was doing more 4 to 6 hour basic trail rides, or climbing portion was smother, such as fire road, it may be a totally different story. One this is that every review I have seen on the 7, including more than a handful of personal encounters, praises how well it climbs. In the end it is all subjective. What works great for one person doesn't work at all for another. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    I am running a 160 Zoch 55 RC3 Ti and love it. Can't even ride my fox 36 RC2 any more.
    Thanks the for info. Great to hear good things about the Marzocchi fork. The 2012 55 RC3 Evo Ti Fork is my top pick to get. Thinking I'll get that and try running it on my 575 and see how that goes; hopefully it will beef up that bike's downhill ability. Then if I end up getting the SB66 I can run my fox 32 150 for trail rides and my 55 RC3 for all mtn.