mtbr member

superbike 66 with the air v coil thingie?

hey, am finding my way into a sb66c. wondering if y'all have tried out the ccdb air or other air shock v. ccdb coil or other coil shock? reflection after the fact? ideas, concerns?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The air fans will say air.
    The coil thingy fans will say coil thingy.
    And we all know that the coil thingy fans are right.

What kind of rider are you and what are your trails like?
    I am also looking into the rear shock options for the SB66c as well.
    I'm an aggressive rider in the Alps so I'm more in favor of an RC4 as it has bottom out control which is good considering the SB is linear. TI coil and Pushed and it should be good to go but I would also like to hear of others experience.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The ccdb air cs has been working great on mine after finding the right tune. much, much improved over the stock fox CTD.

up front, i have a 2013 Fox 34 with 2014 internals. just last week I built up my wife an alloy 66 with a RS Pike. Now that I've been able to test both forks side by side the fox has got to go.

another quick note -- the small alloy 66 shipped with a Low tune CTD, my small carbon 66 shipped with a Med tune CTD. Not sure why they would've done this unless it was determined over time what the better tune was.

enough rambling, time to ride. let us know what you decide on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just got a CCDBAirCS and its WAY better than the Fox. I found that I had to run a bit more air pressure to not over whelm the 2nd half of travel on my SB66. I would equate it to not having enough compression damping. Unfortunately when I added more air it compromised the geometry of the bike. The CC allows me to run 30-33% sag while it doesn't get overwhelmed in the 2nd half of the travel. The CC is better damped and added another level to the capabilities of the SB.

mtbr member
    Not to hijack the thread here, but did you work with Fox on warranty for the 2014 internals? I have the 2013 34 on my 66c and I'd love to see it improved.

Mr. Knowitall
    RockShox Vivid Air for the win. Tune Low, sag correct, downhill bombing, pedals great. Fox should lower their prices to the level they belong: cheapville

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    bart:

a few months ago fox posted on pinkbike about the 34 upgrade kit and for $35 they sent me the parts. problem was that nobody but fox (or maybe push or suspension experts) has the tools to install the parts. their marketing, sales and technical departments dropped the ball on the execution of this one. shortly after a Fox VP got ahold of me and made good of the whole situation -- overnight service both ways. that was a truly impressive effort on their part. the fork was noticeably better as the CTD modes actually worked as intended. again on pinkbike, fox came back and stated that for $65 they'd overhaul 2013 forks with the 2014 internals (they won't be sending parts directly to consumers after the initial confusion).

unfortunately a month later my 34 developed a creaky CSU, so back to fox it'll go in the winter. and then up for sale. want to improve the front end of your 66? get a pike.

mtbr member
    I've ridden a ctd and an rc4 on my old 66c. The air was more playful and I preferred it on everything except for rougher drops. The bottom out control adds confidence but even at 230lbs this wasn't needed very often. I rode mine at the bike park and the air handled everything perfectly. For me, unless you're going big all the time the air rode better for trail use. The coil did climb very well on this bike with minimal if any decrease in platform.

mtbr member
    m1neral,

thanks for the details. i ended up finding the post you mentioned on pinkbike and will probably try going that route, even though i'd prefer to have the pike (and a db air cs) instead. cost-wise, it seems like working with fox is at least worth a try. bummed to hear you didn't end up seeing a good result from this, though. did fox charge you return shipping on top of the $65.00?

OP, sorry for taking your thread off topic. good luck in your search for better suspension performance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I agree with profro remarks about the last 50% of the air shock just disappearing and can't seem to get past it,

CCDB coil was my first choice but to expensive so I am just sorting out if I need any different mounting bits to run a 2012 vivid R2C coil instead, I'll let you know how it goes but could take a while cause I'm away at work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have had an SB 66 C for over a year and recently upgraded to a Float X. I have to say that it has really added even more versatility to this already stellar bike. I preferred the stiff ride of the SB from the get go but the Float X has a wider range of tuning and offers a much more supple ride in Descend and the 3 Trail settings are very distinct. Before with the Float CTD I would get chirping in Trail mode when just hammering it in the rough but now I can ride all settings and it is quiet and the dampening works great. You can really feel the shock pushing more oil (coil like feel) and the CTD switch is big and easy to reach while riding. Both in Descend and Trail modes the first bit of the shock stroke is very supple offering great small bump compliance and then the mid stroke support kicks in and you can pump the hell out the bike. For long downhills it does not fade or act up at all. Obviously I am stoked on it but it really ads a bit more plushness for when you aren't putting the wood to it and still has that stable feeling as you open it up.

mtbr member
    thx for all the replies. fox ctd is on the bike. prob give 'er a whirl first, then see about the subsequent purchase and trial/error process. have a lyrik coil uturn, so been reading about options. good to read info from those who've tried out dif options...

Single Track Addict
    Any updates on this?
    Will ride singletrack for food...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy View Post
    Any updates on this?
    Had my CDDB-Air CS rebuilt over the winter. It had started to leak air and upon further inspection, had a lot of the internals blown up (either from me beating on it or just an early production model). Fully warrantied. Two rides on it last weekend and it's better than ever. Props to the guys at Suspension Experts. Love that shock.