Livin' the Dream

Good job! Stepped up to the Plate!

Well, after reading on this forum for a few months and riding a buddies 575, I decided it was time to pony up for a 575. I really appreciate everyone's opinions, Crisillo, Iviguy, to name just a few. You guys have some great insight and I based my decision and build spec off of of many of your comments. I know some non 575 riders consider it just a long travel xc, but I think the frame is plenty strong enough for all mountain and maybe even cross into freeride territory. The travel being nearly 6" gives it the long legs needed for those categories, plus the rear setup never feels like it bottoms out, regardless of the drop. I considered the Nomad and the 6.6, but I just didn't see the cult like following of the 575 in any of those forums! Those bikes are really overbuilt for my type of riding anyway. It also helped that I had ridden my buddie's 575 for about 3 months while he was injured. I started w/ the enduro and upgraded there (as much as the finance minister (wife) would let me anyway). I was able to get a some deals on closeout items from, you guessed it, Full Cycles. You all are definitely right about their knowledge and helpfulness, they are awesome. Anyway should have it here next Tuesday and I'll try and get some pics of the maiden ride. Thanks again to everyone for feedback.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asbury
    Well, after reading on this forum for a few months and riding a buddies 575, I decided it was time to pony up for a 575. I really appreciate everyone's opinions, Crisillo, Iviguy, to name just a few. You guys have some great insight and I based my decision and build spec off of of many of your comments. I know some non 575 riders consider it just a long travel xc, but I think the frame is plenty strong enough for all mountain and maybe even cross into freeride territory. The travel being nearly 6" gives it the long legs needed for those categories, plus the rear setup never feels like it bottoms out, regardless of the drop. I considered the Nomad and the 6.6, but I just didn't see the cult like following of the 575 in any of those forums! Those bikes are really overbuilt for my type of riding anyway. It also helped that I had ridden my buddie's 575 for about 3 months while he was injured. I started w/ the enduro and upgraded there (as much as the finance minister (wife) would let me anyway). I was able to get a some deals on closeout items from, you guessed it, Full Cycles. You all are definitely right about their knowledge and helpfulness, they are awesome. Anyway should have it here next Tuesday and I'll try and get some pics of the maiden ride. Thanks again to everyone for feedback.
    AWESOME!! Post your build and follow up with pics when you get it in. The only thing more exciting that driving up and seeing that Yeti box in your driveway is taking the maiden voyage after you build her up.

Glad you went with Will. He has been so helpful, I'm going to drum up as much business as I can for him.
    Remember: "Friends Don't Let Friends Ride Junk"

Quote: "Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks"
    - A Yeti Rider

Was that a Bobcat?
    Congrats on the new ride! Post photos and have fun!

Who is John Galt?
    Hope you are closer to Oregon than I was (Missouri). The wait was excruciating and made worse by the fact that the pedals and new work stand arrived first. Bet I made a hundred trips to the Yeti site to look at that beauty. You might start working on a name for her (mine's RocksAnne).
    What, me hurry?

Livin' the Dream
    I'm not any closer than you are unfortunately, I'm in Dallas. For pedals, I'm actually planning on using my old 545's, but I'm having a tough time envisioning my brand new bike w/ everything else perfect and my worn out old pedals! May have to figure something out there. What area of MO are you in? I have some family in Washington, just east of St. Louis, looks like great riding opportunities abound up there.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Congrats, Asbury! Can't wait for the pics!

Come on guys... you.. talking about waiting... I had to wait a week for my friend to receive the frame from full cycles to Indiana, then repack it until it passed USPS max dimensions and then ship it to Germany... so don't tell me about waiting

Who is John Galt?
    I'm not any closer than you are unfortunately, I'm in Dallas. For pedals, I'm actually planning on using my old 545's, but I'm having a tough time envisioning my brand new bike w/ everything else perfect and my worn out old pedals! May have to figure something out there. What area of MO are you in? I have some family in Washington, just east of St. Louis, looks like great riding opportunities abound up there.
    I can relate! I had some beat up old SPDs, wouldn't have dreamed of putting them on the Yeti. Small world, I grew up around Washington (St. Clair really), brother and sister live there. I actually live in Jeff City, central Missouri. Got my leg stitched up at Washington hospital after taking advantage of one of those great riding opportunities there. If you ever visit give me a holler, I'm there every other weekend. Where do you ride in Dallas? That seems pretty flat to me.
    What, me hurry?

Livin' the Dream
    Dallas is definitely not mountainous, or even hilly for that matter. It's more like "Dirt Mound Biking" than mountain biking. Having said that though we do have some pretty good trails that are more like rolling hills. Some good one's around local area lakes come to mind. You would be surprised at how technical some can be, rocks, roots, tight single track. We really have a bunch of different terrain styles, the only thing we really lack is serious elevation changes. Probably no more than 100 feet + or - on any given trail, but at least we have a bunch of choices for trails. I spec'd my 575 for much more agressive riding than what we have here, in hopes that a work xfer to the pacific nw will pan out next year. We'll see.

In my mind, I can do it!
    You are in Dallas? Well, what do you know... I'm in McKinney, TX... Where do you ride? I ride Erwin and RCP a lot. Send me a PM and maybe we can meet at one of the trails some weekend. I can help you set up your bike too.

-IVI

- A Yeti Rider

Livin' the Dream
    I may take you up on the setup if I have brake squeal problems. Did you ever get that figured out? I live down inside of LBJ and I work in Grapevine, so I usually ride GV during the week. I haven't been real creative lately in checking out new trails. I haven't ridden RCP or Erwin, but I know several people who love RCP. You're going to laugh when you see how overbuilt my 575 is! I got a great deal on an '06 Z1, but it has a 20mm axle. Way to much for around here, but I figured why not?! If nothing else I figure it looks cool!

In my mind, I can do it!
    I may take you up on the setup if I have brake squeal problems. Did you ever get that figured out? I live down inside of LBJ and I work in Grapevine, so I usually ride GV during the week. I haven't been real creative lately in checking out new trails. I haven't ridden RCP or Erwin, but I know several people who love RCP. You're going to laugh when you see how overbuilt my 575 is! I got a great deal on an '06 Z1, but it has a 20mm axle. Way to much for around here, but I figured why not?! If nothing else I figure it looks cool!
    I think the brake problem may finally be resolved... Will sent me a 160mm rotor for the rear and the last ride I had was quiet. It's the only ride I have had in a long time where I could not make the brake noise issue happen on demand. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I bet that 150mm suits the 575 pretty well. But around here you will probably want it down around 130mm if you have the adjustable feature on that fork. I sometimes run mine down to about 120mm for quicker handling. Mostly though I love the travel so I set it up to the 130mm setting.

I love Grapevine NS. That trail is really great. Sucks that it's a 2 way trail with lots of foot traffic though but other than that it's a great trail. There is one section that always stumps me. It's probably more toward the Fairway drive side. You cross a bridge and go around a sandy section and then have to climb some techinical rocks. I can usually get about half way up that and have to step down. Going down that same section I have gotten some nice scrapes on my legs as well. There is an offshoot of that area where probably very few people take a short VERY steep section that heads straight for the bridge. It's about 8' to 10' high and probably about a 75 degree angle with no runout at the bottom. I would love to see someone do that but I don't have the nerves yet to try. You will have to show me how to do that sometime...

- A Yeti Rider

Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    I think the brake problem may finally be resolved... Will sent me a 160mm rotor for the rear and the last ride I had was quiet. It's the only ride I have had in a long time where I could not make the brake noise issue happen on demand. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Hey iviguy! Glad the 160mm seems to solve the problem... hope it stays quiet!

Livin' the Dream
    Man that's weird! I know right where you are talking about at GV and that exact section contributed to my decision to get the 575. Have you tried riding it on your 575, I bet you would be able to climb it? I know it sounds crazy, but I rode that trail for almost 12 years on a hardtail and I never was able to climb that part. I was riding my buddies 575 and cleaned it for the first time ever. That was one of the main reasons I decided to make the purchase. I won't ride down that section anymore though. You're right about the rocks scraping your legs. I will always be reminded of my mis-calculation on that section by a long scar on my right ankle. I'm too old to try and show off and ride it, plus it's not worth getting sewn up, or worse. I will look for that alternate trail down, I only know of 2 ways down and they're right next to one another.

The Z1 does have a 130-150mm travel option and your recommendation is exactly what I was thinking. I think the 20mm axle will help with the stiffness of the wheelset until I'm able to get something a little sturdier/better. It's not going to be a superlight 575, but as long as I'm under 30lbs, I won't mind too much.

It's not going to be a superlight 575, but as long as I'm under 30lbs, I won't mind too much.
    I just bought a digital scale and my 575 came in at 31 lbs (14.14 kg)... but it is so great that.. who cares!

Livin' the Dream
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I just bought a digital scale and my 575 came in at 31 lbs (14.14 kg)... but it is so great that.. who cares!
    LOL Well I actually could care less how much it weighs, but I figure if I put as long as it's under 35-40lbs, you guys would think I was nuts!!!

LOL Well I actually could care less how much it weighs, but I figure if I put as long as it's under 35-40lbs, you guys would think I was nuts!!!
    Yeah i know what you mean... however mine weighs in at 31 with what i consider a burly trail bike build... so.. no worries!

Who is John Galt?
    Man that's weird! I know right where you are talking about at GV and that exact section contributed to my decision to get the 575. Have you tried riding it on your 575, I bet you would be able to climb it? I know it sounds crazy, but I rode that trail for almost 12 years on a hardtail and I never was able to climb that part. I was riding my buddies 575 and cleaned it for the first time ever. That was one of the main reasons I decided to make the purchase. I won't ride down that section anymore though. You're right about the rocks scraping your legs. I will always be reminded of my mis-calculation on that section by a long scar on my right ankle. I'm too old to try and show off and ride it, plus it's not worth getting sewn up, or worse. I will look for that alternate trail down, I only know of 2 ways down and they're right next to one another.

The Z1 does have a 130-150mm travel option and your recommendation is exactly what I was thinking. I think the 20mm axle will help with the stiffness of the wheelset until I'm able to get something a little sturdier/better. It's not going to be a superlight 575, but as long as I'm under 30lbs, I won't mind too much.
    I know it's a pretty good distance, but I'm going to be in Austin Dec. 12 and 13. I rented a bike from a LBS and plan to ride at Barton Creek. If you guys are available give me a yell back. Unfortunately, no Yetis to rent so had to settle for a Blur LT.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

You guys are driving me nuts talking about riding. I'm just a tad east of McKinney as well. Man I really want to go ride, but trails are pretty much off limits for me until I'm cleared by the doctor. I've only ridden Grapvine once and that was at night, but I've been aching to go out there during the week when it isn't crowded to give it a try.