Techno-Beaver

Stem choice for SB66

Building up a 66, and I am looking for any input you may have on how long of stem to run. I am currently on a large 2011 575 with a 70mm point one stem. Going with a large 66 means I will have a slightly longer top tube. Was thinking that a 60mm stem would do the trick. If so, which one? If not, how come, and what would you recommend... Open to all suggestions!
    Epic Ride. Epic Lunch.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I think you need to provide more specifics ... you building it up as a long-travel-XC bike (XC -> AM, XC racing, yadda yadda) or a light-big-bike (AM->FR, Enduro racing, bike park days, yadda yadda), or somewhere in between.

Too many options. ;^)

Techno-Beaver
    Duh... What was I thinking. I should have included that from the start. Definitely as an AM / Cross-Country rig. No racing to speak of. Not going to be doing any superman seat-grabs on it either. It will see a fair bit of air beneath the tires, but I plan on riding this bike up as many hills as down.

Thanks bear -
    Epic Ride. Epic Lunch.

mtbr member
    If you are happy with the bar position on your 575, why not just pick a stem that gets the bar to the same position on the 66? Do some math...
    If you aren't happy with it, then what do you want? Closer? Higher? We don't know how tall you are, how long your legs and arms are, how flexible you are or what is comfortable for you, or how you want the bike to handle.

as for what stem... I don't understand the question. There is only one company that makes stems, what else do you want to know?

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    If you are happy with the bar position on your 575, why not just pick a stem that gets the bar to the same position on the 66?
    Different bikes handle differently with stems, so a slack HA on the SB-66 will be slow controlled with a longer stem than 70mm in my opinion. Bike type determines some of the properties of stem length. If you feel cramped or stretched on a bike and you have a way shorter (not always a bad thing) og longer stem (always a bad thing) than what fits the bike geo, your bike is the wrong size.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I run 40 mm as I want a nimble, direct feel.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can anyone help measure the reach of sb-66
    I am between small and medium frame
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How tall are you? I am 5'10" on a good day and I am very happy I went with a medium. and a 50mm stem, with easton havoc carbons 750mm wide.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

LCW
    mtbr member
    There's no right answer on stem length. Go with what feels good. Get/borrow a few different lengths and start experimenting.

I had a 70mm on my 575 small (22.8 TT), but ended up switching to an 80mm sine the 70mm felt cramped (with seat all way back too, which I didn't like). I'm only 5'6" but I guess I don't like to be too upright or feel cramped in the cockpit. Point is, even people with same frame size and same body dimensions, might still have different stem lengths. It's a personal choice.
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 31.9 lbs

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am 5'8" with 33" inseam

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Exact same setup as ronnyg801, and I could not be happier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801 View Post
    How tall are you? I am 5'10" on a good day and I am very happy I went with a medium. and a 50mm stem, with easton havoc carbons 750mm wide.
    how about climbing or XC ? Can 50mm stem handle it well?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorsu View Post
    how about climbing or XC ? Can 50mm stem handle it well?
    Been riding with a 40mm and climbing is great. Its easier to wheelie up ledges. Corners a lot quicker. Coming from a 60mm on a previous bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hopefully I can help I am 6'3''......I have a large 2010 575 that I ran for a bit with a 90mm stem (what was i thinking) and the bike accordingly handled like ****. I put a 50mm stem on it and it feels great (a bit tight but not big deal). With that stem I replaced my 680mm exc70 bars with Raceface Atlas 785mm bars. I am currently building an Sb66 and after trying a bunch of combos out at a local shop (that had stock builds) I decided on a large frame and a 50mm stem again. If you my height and have arms around 30 inches long this is probably perfect for you however if you want a longer stem than 50mm you may want to do something with your seat (move it forward on the rails) or get a smaller frame size as this bike is HUGE!