mtbr member
    May 2009

Stealth Dropper on SB66c

Has anyone tried installing a stealth dropper on a sb66c? No, this frame isn't meant to accommodate one but was wondering how possible it'd be to drill a hole through the headset top cap then loop through the frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keyboardrider View Post
    Has anyone tried installing a stealth dropper on a sb66c? No, this frame isn't meant to accommodate one but was wondering how possible it'd be to drill a hole through the headset top cap then loop through the frame?
    If you don't plan on steering, then you need to drill the top cap, the star nut and make a hole on the steerer tube and another hole on the inside of the head tube. Then you got to figure out how to get around the switch technology. Good luck.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by giantdefy View Post
    If you don't plan on steering, then you need to drill the top cap, the star nut and make a hole on the steerer tube and another hole on the inside of the head tube. Then you got to figure out how to get around the switch technology. Good luck.
    oh c'on, he could route the hose down the steerer and out the bottom, then back into the frame at a water-bottle bolt hole (maybe ream it out a little bit).

Of course, then there's still the issue of drilling holes in the BB shell and getting around the Switch, or routing back up hill inside the downtube to get the top-tube.

Be a lot easier with a small portable Enstein-Rosen bridge though.

mtbr member
    You should be able to get it around the Switch and up through the down tube. I guess you could route it out of the top with something like the top half of a Rock Shox Turncoat or a top cap drilled similarly. I'd be worried about the rubbing/contact inside the head tube with the steerer though and it seems like it'd be a royal pain in the a$$.

Tribe Member
    I have heard that this is possible on the new SB75's. Even though it is not published on the website they talked about it in a review that was just put up. Search here in the Yeti section for that.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Re: Stealth Dropper on SB66c

The cable for my standard Thomson dropper mounts very cleanly with no interference on my SB66. The hassle of running a stealth cable, even if there were ports for it, is not worth it to me at all. I say just get a dropper with an external cable.