mtbr member
    May 2004

Specific 575 Questions

So,
    i'm riding a 5 Spot now and thinking of going with either an RFX, or, I have a credit at a local shop that is Yeti dealer. I wouldn't have to get a new fork if I went w/the 575.

Anyway, I have read the good reviews and those of word of mouth of good riders, and ride with a guy who has one, and rips on it.

My question, and I've brought this up before but not on this forum, is what's up with that Knuckle? I don't no of anyone ever having any problems with it. I'm super picky with my bikes, I admit it, and it just looks (looks is perception) that the material is so thin thin thin in that area? I was wondering if anybody has any tech info on why they did that, what it does, and the strength in that area? I've never seen such a thin are before on a bikes' top tube.

I know one thing it allow for the angled top tube and good standover, but why not more material there? I'm no engineer so just posing the question.

thanks much
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I know it looks thin, but it is quite strong. Of course the 575 is not as burly as an RFX, but for trail duties it performs well. Some people have complained a bit about flex in the rear end, but I have had no issue with it so far.

I hope this helps a bit

PS: Here's a pic of that area for a closer look

2007 Fox RP23

mtbr member
    May 2004
    hey thanks. Looks like you're into some heavy programming and engineerng by the looks of your working library! anyway, if you're around, could you post a pic of it a bit higher up, so can see the interface w/ the top tube?

thanks!

Hi!!!
    Daryl --- if you are ever wanting to take my bike out for a spin (it's a medium), just holler. It's not the most bling bling 575 out there...I could only afford the Enduro kit. But at least it'll give you a decent idea of what it's like.

Nick

EDIT

If you are thinking of getting an RFX, go pay Jon and Dan a visit over at Custom Cycles on State Street. I know the last time I was in there Dan had his RFX built up to around 30'ish pounds...maybe like 31 or 32 with a coil over.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Nick! yeah if I went w/the RFX I was going to go through him, if he can give me the closeout price. Would love to try your Yeti soon, like after the upcoming holiday, and appreciate the offer!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    hey thanks. Looks like you're into some heavy programming and engineerng by the looks of your working library! anyway, if you're around, could you post a pic of it a bit higher up, so can see the interface w/ the top tube?

thanks!
    Well not that heavy programming... but yeah.. something like that

Here's a couple more pics of the top tube from what I have on flickr... if you want something more specific, maybe I can take another pic later when I get home...

Yeti 575 front triangle

Yeti 575 build

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Thanks Nick! yeah if I went w/the RFX I was going to go through him, if he can give me the closeout price. Would love to try your Yeti soon, like after the upcoming holiday, and appreciate the offer!
    The RFX maybe a better Rock Island or Bogus stunts bike (plus the you can easily pedal the RFX up to Bogus).

Bomber
    that knuckle is forged, and in all my previous pre-purchase research I heard of that area cracking or flexing. Seems like its one more way to save weight, get the optimum standover, and possibly made that way so as to posistion the shock so it will work best with the dog bone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 575 feels very much like a Five Spot. If you already have a Spot, you may want to pick up a RFX cheap if you fit a Large. If you really want a 575, it is a great bike- just feels pretty close to a Spot- maybe feels a tiny bit steeper and a bit more XC-ish. I like the way the 575 rides and the standover is perfect.

Oh, don't worry about that knuckle. It may look thin but is several times thicker than the tubing thickness. If you put enough pressure to crush the bike, the tubing would buckle before that knucle.

www.yetifan.com
    Unsure what impact you want to put through the knuckle, but here is an as-r, which is far lighter in all area's than a 575.

Knuckle looks good to me.

BTW- it was on a roof rack and hit a garage door.

Pic from Yetifan.com

Andrew

Hi!!!
    OH CRAP!!!!!

Talk about Headbanging!

Was that a Bobcat?
    Ouch..... that sucks.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetifan
    Unsure what impact you want to put through the knuckle, but here is an as-r, which is far lighter in all area's than a 575.

Knuckle looks good to me.

BTW- it was on a roof rack and hit a garage door.

Pic from Yetifan.com

Andrew
    That was obviously not done from general riding but I am wondering if Yeti tried to help you out with it?

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by audi0phile
    that knuckle is forged, and in all my previous pre-purchase research I never heard of that area cracking or flexing. Seems like its one more way to save weight, get the optimum standover, and possibly made that way so as to posistion the shock so it will work best with the dog bone?
    I think that's what you meant.... ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    See, I told you the tubing would buckle before the knuckle. That knuckle is tons thicker than tubing. What you have to worry about are things like rookf racks and garage doors.

I've done that twice and no longer use roof racks- problem solved.

Who is John Galt?
    Twice fo rme too -- now I put something in the way before I leave. Never did it with the Yeti though, both times were with a Fisher hardtail. And the shock proved to be the weak link the first time, the roof rack (Yakima) slid back and the tray bent the second time. If that happened to my Yeti I would be in the funny farm.
    What, me hurry?