What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004

Somebody talk me out of buying a 575 frame!

Man, I got the "upgraditis" bad lately. First, it was the fork on my X-5, then it was my SS frame, and now I'm having delusional thoughts that the 575 is a better frame that will more suit my XC-ish leaning "trail-riding" needs better than the '04 Ventana X-5 I'm currently riding. No knock on the X-5 at all - it's by far and away the best frame I've ever owned. However, I've recently decided that I'm never going to be the technical gnarl rider I want to be - I'm getting old and brittle and that fear of getting hurt kicks in whenever the rocks loom ahead. My riding strengths are climbing and fast, buff downhills with some medium-level technical sections, but nothing gonzo.

When I bought the X-5, I was coming from a Santa Cruz Superlight and wanted something burlier and stiffer. Which, of course, it is. However, I think it's just "too much" frame for my style of riding. Now, I could build the X-5 "down" to a more XC-ish trail bike with a lighter wheelset and tires, but I'm still dealing with a nearly 7 lb frame that climbs well, but not outstandingly, and has a pretty steep head angle. Three people I ride with locally (and two who seem to post on this board a lot - flipnidaho and BelaySlave) have 575's and just rave about them. I also have a Jamis Dakar XC that is my "backup" bike, but it's strictly an XC machine - steep angles, short travel (but pretty heavy - I think the frame and shock is about 6.5 lbs).

Bottom line - I want a 5+ inch travel bike that climbs well, but is still plush on the downhills. I like a slacker head angle and a more upright seating position. I'd like to stay as close to 6 lbs on the frame and shock as possible. I'm considering selling either my X-5 alone or my X-5 frame and my Dakar frame and using the combined left over parts to build one "do it all" bike.

So, all that said, why shouldn't I buy a 575?

Hi!!!
    Geoff --- didn't you mention that prior to getting the X-5, you looked at the 575, but something about the toptube not being long enough or that the sizing/geometry were weird? Weren't you like one of those 'tweeners between sizes? Or have I been hitting the Ridge Crest Mary Jane pipe again?

Too bad none of us have a bike that you could ride (I ride medium and flip and Sara Jo ride smalls). Wait...doesn't impdude have a 575? I think garnetspur is buying one too. Never met either of them though so I don't know what size they have.

I was in Reed's several weeks ago and I didn't see any large or XL's in there.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Man, I got the "upgraditis" bad lately. First, it was the fork on my X-5, then it was my SS frame, and now I'm having delusional thoughts that the 575 is a better frame that will more suit my XC-ish leaning "trail-riding" needs better than the '04 Ventana X-5 I'm currently riding. No knock on the X-5 at all - it's by far and away the best frame I've ever owned. However, I've recently decided that I'm never going to be the technical gnarl rider I want to be - I'm getting old and brittle and that fear of getting hurt kicks in whenever the rocks loom ahead. My riding strengths are climbing and fast, buff downhills with some medium-level technical sections, but nothing gonzo.

When I bought the X-5, I was coming from a Santa Cruz Superlight and wanted something burlier and stiffer. Which, of course, it is. However, I think it's just "too much" frame for my style of riding. Now, I could build the X-5 "down" to a more XC-ish trail bike with a lighter wheelset and tires, but I'm still dealing with a nearly 7 lb frame that climbs well, but not outstandingly, and has a pretty steep head angle. Three people I ride with locally (and two who seem to post on this board a lot - flipnidaho and BelaySlave) have 575's and just rave about them. I also have a Jamis Dakar XC that is my "backup" bike, but it's strictly an XC machine - steep angles, short travel (but pretty heavy - I think the frame and shock is about 6.5 lbs).

Bottom line - I want a 5+ inch travel bike that climbs well, but is still plush on the downhills. I like a slacker head angle and a more upright seating position. I'd like to stay as close to 6 lbs on the frame and shock as possible. I'm considering selling either my X-5 alone or my X-5 frame and my Dakar frame and using the combined left over parts to build one "do it all" bike.

So, all that said, why shouldn't I buy a 575?
    Yeah, you won't benefit from a 575 at all. Don't buy it, it's a waste of your time.... lol.. just kidding...

You should be able to get a good price on the X-5 frame and use that toward the 575. I demo'd an X5 before the 575 and although it was very stiff it bothered me how huge the tubes were and how burley it is. The ride was ok but I don't think it had anything on the 575 at all except stiffness.

The 575 is a great bike. Since you posted this on the Yeti forum it's my guess that you really don't want anyone to talk you out of this move. What you really want is a few people to back up your decision. I'm there for ya man! Go for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I went from the 575 to the X-5 so I'm running your line the other way around

Anyway, I love the 575. PM me with your name and I will show you the way with a phone number and a name. The good thing is it is a forum guy too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh, I forgot to address the other part of your post. If your primary issue is to drop weight by around a lb, the 575 is the ticket. It does have a one degree slacker head-tube angle as well. However, it doesn't seem to sit more upright than the X-5.

If you're looking for a slacker head angle with a little less weight, you've come to the right place. What you will give up is quicker steering and a frame that has zero flex when you need zero flex (off camber turns). If those are not primary concerns, you have come to the right place again The 2004 X-5 steers more like the ASR-SL while having a heavier but even stiffer frame. I'd like to say that in riding feel, the 2004 X-5 feels like a cross between the 575 and the ASR-SL.

So I think you are heading in the right direction given what I understand from your comments. Obviously, I am liking the quicker steering. It was too quick at first with 20% sag but at 33% sag, it is perfect. I think the 575 works best with 20%-25% sag so it will feel firmer.

I hope you end up with what you will love and this is a close call for sure. The differences in both bikes are few but significant enough.

bi-winning
    It is too expensive
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

EDR
    5 spot.....

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    Belay: Yeah, I thought the sizing on the 575 was a little odd, but I keep getting frames with longer and longer top tubes and each time the frame fits a little better. I thought the 23.85" effective TT on the Ventana would fit, but it feels cramped sometimes.

iviguy - Yeah, I figured posting on here would be a good way to convince myself to do this. Still wondering whether to go from two bikes to one or just keep the Jamis. May come down to price.

rkj_: Compared the the X-5, the 575 is a downright bargain.

eatdrinkride: Sorry, I don't do the homer thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No worries- we are here to help you make the best decision. We can help you find a great deal, we can give you comparison info, and also bias you enough to where you will never have any Buyer's Remorse and stay happy for a long time

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    No worries- we are here to help you make the best decision. We can help you find a great deal, we can give you comparison info, and also bias you enough to where you will never have any Buyer's Remorse and stay happy for a long time
    Yeah, these guys are pros. Trust me on this. I have a LOT of experience with advice on this board. Just ask Nick...

Sell one bike, get the 575 frame and ride it for a while. If it satisfies all your needs, sell the other bike. At 20% sag this bike feels very XCish. At 25% sag the trail just disappears and it still feels XCish but it gives you a lot more confidence on the rough and steeps. It climbs like a goat. (I know, cliche') Mine is about 29lbs and I swear I am faster than I was on my FSRxc which was the previous bike. I know I am more comfortable and don't feel so wiped out after a ride. This is a great bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay dammit, all this 575 talk is making me want a 575 all over again. I'm out of this conversation for at least a day or I'll be ordering one this week. A third bike I don't need.

EDR

rkj_: Compared the the X-5, the 575 is a downright bargain.

eatdrinkride: Sorry, I don't do the homer thing.
    'Homer'??? You won't consider a Turner b/c it's a great bike or b/c someone might call you names on it? Either way it doesn't add up. Don't get me wrong, I ride a 575 and wouldn't trade it for your X-5 or a 5 spot unless it was to make money and get a new 575 frame and make an extra car payment to boot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In my opinion, the X-5, Spot, and 575 (prob the Motolite to a certain degree) are among the very best AM bikes out there. I'm a X-5 owner now and am preferring the quickness and stiffness of the frame while others prefer the more laid back and "trail" geometry of the 575 and Spot. It's hard to go wrong here- kind of like choosing from the top offerings of BMW and Mercedes without getting into the Made in America thing.

When it comes to Turners, the Turner Flux is a bike I like more than the Five Spot. Not to confuse the issue here with Turners, of course. Go with your heart and not your wallet. If you want something different, just do it. I did and while I still miss the 575 and was so used to it, I'm starting to really dig the X-5. Oh wait, a Turner Flux just showed up to replace my ASR-SL I wonder what's next for me. Anyone looking for a Flux review?

surly inbred
    Somebody talk me out of buying a 575 frame!

pure nonsense ...we'll have none of that here.

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    'Homer'??? You won't consider a Turner b/c it's a great bike or b/c someone might call you names on it?
    It's a joke, bro. Turner's a nice bike, but I'm more interested in the 575. Can't see how the 5 spot is much different than my X-5 in terms of weight, price or suspension design. Six of one, half-dozen of another. Yeti seems a tad bit differentiated from both - long travel with a bit more empahsis on efficient pedaling characteristics and low weight. This is the Yeti board, right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not absolutely sure but the Five Spot may have a slightly lower BB height that the 575. If so, that may be of concern to some. Otherwise I hear they ride similarly and both climb well. Anything lower than the 575 would be of some concern to me on my favorite trail here in KC anyway. It seems to have higher rocky slabs and tighter clearances. It would be of less concern in Colorado- Front Range trails and Breck trails are the ones I've ridden.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    oh brother.....i feel somewhat responsible for your UGI my friend my advice is to stay away from mtbr for a while and decide on your own what you really want to do; you know more about bike "stuff" than most and probably dont need help making the right decision. having said that, the 575 is a great bike, but what about a new/another single speed? I am having a hard time following you lately which is fun I must say

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can see that Fo has spread the bug around. Every time I think of another bike, I think of the bikes Fo has or has owned. This is like SARS and Fo spreads it happily even though he may appear apologetic. I bet you money that he is smiling as the disease spreads without check on this board.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I can see that Fo has spread the bug around. Every time I think of another bike, I think of the bikes Fo has or has owned. This is like SARS and Fo spreads it happily even though he may appear apologetic. I bet you money that he is smiling as the disease spreads without check on this board.
    caught me! it is SARShizzle by the way

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I'm the FoShizzle and Shiggy of Idaho, by the way. I get bored with bikes pretty quickly and love to buy and sell parts, frames, forks, etc... I also have a large compliment of 26" tires and my 29" tire collection is growing daily. And, I had UGI a long, long time ago Fo, so don't feel too responsible!

I took another ride on my X-5 yesterday with the new(ish) Pike fork and I have to say that the Pike instead of the Z1 really does make that frame a better climber and more XC-ish. Dropping a couple pounds off the front end and lowering the axle to crown helps a bunch. I think I'm probably over my UGI want of a 575 for the moment. Next spring, however, I may pull the trigger when I have more cash scraped together.

Now, as for that "new SS" you mentioned Fo, I just spoke with my favorite LBS...and it's done. I go pick it up today and ride it tonight!!!

Hi!!!
    You just have a Fox Float on the back don't ya'? (Saw that you had it on CL).

What about putting an RP3 on it and see how it climbs?

You got another SS again or are we still talking about your GF Rig 29'er?
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Jan 2004
    Yeah, I'm the FoShizzle and Shiggy of Idaho, by the way. I get bored with bikes pretty quickly and love to buy and sell parts, frames, forks, etc... I also have a large compliment of 26" tires and my 29" tire collection is growing daily. And, I had UGI a long, long time ago Fo, so don't feel too responsible!

I took another ride on my X-5 yesterday with the new(ish) Pike fork and I have to say that the Pike instead of the Z1 really does make that frame a better climber and more XC-ish. Dropping a couple pounds off the front end and lowering the axle to crown helps a bunch. I think I'm probably over my UGI want of a 575 for the moment. Next spring, however, I may pull the trigger when I have more cash scraped together.

Now, as for that "new SS" you mentioned Fo, I just spoke with my favorite LBS...and it's done. I go pick it up today and ride it tonight!!!
    sweet! keep me posted on the SS

EDR
    It's a joke, bro. Turner's a nice bike, but I'm more interested in the 575. Can't see how the 5 spot is much different than my X-5 in terms of weight, price or suspension design. Six of one, half-dozen of another. Yeti seems a tad bit differentiated from both - long travel with a bit more empahsis on efficient pedaling characteristics and low weight. This is the Yeti board, right?
    You asked for a reason to NOT buy a Yeti ..sorry maybe I just missed the point. By all means...go get a 575. It's a great bike.