In my mind, I can do it!

Soft derailleur hanger....

These Yeti brand derailleur hangers are just too dang soft. This is the only bike I have ever bent the hanger on and it's now happened 3 times since I owned the bike. I need some different brand of hanger I think....

mtbr member

To the rescue!

I'm having our CNC machinist make up some steel derailleur hangers for the Yeti and Turner bikes! Yes the stock one is very soft which is partly good. The ones we're making will be stiffer but not brittle hence steel. The Turner ones are brittle and crack hense steel there too!

The latest Foes bikes showed up with new dropouts and steel hengers with a pocket on the backside for a tuned bending action. Ive been bending mine a lot too.
    Last edited by krispy@go-ride.com; 09-05-2006 at 02:40 PM.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    These Yeti brand derailleur hangers are just too dang soft. This is the only bike I have ever bent the hanger on and it's now happened 3 times since I owned the bike. I need some different brand of hanger I think....
    are you bending the hangers from crashing?

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Asr-sl

I've replaced mine 3 times now in 3 months. I've never replaced one on another bike!

No crashes..... Twice it has thrown my chain into my spokes mid-race. 3 spokes and two lost podiums later...... who knows...

clone
    May 2004

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com
    I'm having our CNC machinist make up some steel derailleur hangers for the Yeti and Turner bikes! Yes the stock one is very soft which is partly good. The ones we're making will be stiffer but not brittle hence steel. The Turner ones are brittle and crack hense steel there too!

The latest Foes bikes showed up with new dropouts and steel hengers with a pocket on the backside for a tuned bending action. Ive been bending mine a lot too.
    Steel hanger on an aluminum frame? Sounds damaging.. possibly..

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    are you bending the hangers from crashing?
    yes, but the crashes have been very mild. Not something I would consider to be enough to bend a hanger. I have crashed much harder on other bikes without ever bending the hanger. This is the first bike I have ever done this on.

clone
    May 2004
    You do realise the reason the hanger is replacable is that it's a sacrificial part, don't you? They don't make it like that for fun.

The Yeti hanger may be a bit softer than that of other brands (I've only broken one in 18 months, no complaints) - but it's performing the job it's supposed to. And there's no rule that says you can't bend bent ones back close to spec - till they break.

If you do go down the steel path FOR GOD'S SAKE use a break-off bolt to hold on your derailleur - or you risk buggering it - or worse, stuffing your rear triangle. That too is replacable, but the premium is a trifle higher than a derailleur hanger.

mtbr member
    Same problems here. My first hanger lasted all of last season (2005), although it was just slightly tweaked for about half of it but did not give me any major problems other than dropping the chain when stopped and backpedaling. I replaced it about two months ago with the black ones bought straight from the Yeti website. That lasted about one month, then it got really bent at a trip to Diablo; no major crashes, but the bike may have fallen over on the drive side or a rock may have caught it at some point, i don't really know when it happened. On my third one now, so far so good. It is very hard to bend them back as straight as a new one, and even a small tweak will mess with the shifting/chainline somewhat. Aluminum has no problem bending once, it just doesn't like to bend back.

A properly designed steel one should work provided it is still forgiving enough to bend before the derailleur breaks. Steel is also much easier to bend back so it could be reused or fixed trailside if another hanger is not available. I don't know why Yeti has such soft hangers, I have had a Trek 8500 hardtail for 9 years and it still has the original hanger and xtr derailleur, no problems. My GT LTS that I had for 7 years prior to the 575 also never needed a hanger or derailleur replacement. Part of that may be due to the fact that I feel like I ride much more aggressively on the 575, but I rarely crash or do anything out of ordinary riding that should be a problem. I'll see how long this next Yeti hanger lasts before considering my other options. That somehow turned into a rant, ok rant off.

Who is John Galt?

Metallurgy 101

A few things about metallurgy (my other hobby is blacksmithing) -- that original hanger IS steel, the only other option would be iron and you see very little of that today. Most liklely it is mild steel which means less carbon (iron plus carbon plus other junk makes iron into steel). If you go to a higher carbon steel you would be less likely to break one -- if it is properly tempered. Hardened steel is brittle until some of the hardness is carefully drawn off. As others have pointed out, Yeti makes these soft so they are the first things to go. Messing with the metallurgy is a bad plan. The weakest link will become something expensive!
    What, me hurry?

In my mind, I can do it!
    I found this but don't know if these are any better than stock hangers.

BETD

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I've been riding mine through some nasty terrain since January and its as straight as the day I got it. Maybe I'm just really lucky, but I've had no problems with it thus far.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Another one!

My son knocked my bike over in my gravel driveway last night. It landed drive side of course. Hopped on the ride it into the garage and it ghost shifted... looked down... it was bent.... That's all it takes with these things.... I can't imagine a relatively soft landing in gravel would tear my der apart if I had a stiffer hanger. I need to order 10 of them for my personal stock!

EDR
    FWIW I have beat the crap out of my bike over the past year (in a good way) with a few crashes along the way. I have yet to bend a hanger. Just dumb luck I guess. Better the hanger bend then the frame mount, I already know how much that will cost...