Spin-stabilized

So who's noticed a lot of flex...

...in their frames? My Koko flexes bigtime! I stand facing the bike's crank (either side) and while keeping the bike steady by locking one of the brakes I then put the tip of my foot on the pedal with the crank in the 6 o'clock position. I only need to apply a small (not slight) amount of downward force on the pedal and I can see the whole BB/lower downtube/adjacent section of chainstay swing away from me. I can see the gap between one of the seatstays and the seat tube increase and decrease by about 3-4mm as I do this repeatedly. I checked all the bolts and pivots and they seem to be all tight. No wobble or slop anywhere (shock mounts, dogbone, etc.). Nothing is cracked or broken. Fork and wheels are as tight and stiff as always. It seems to ride fine. Just rode a high speed trail with lots of rocky sections on STEEEEP downhills with either 2-3 foot drops or 2-foot kickers every few hundred yards or so, no problems. I only noticed the flex while I was waiting for my buddy (5+ minutes behind on his DH rig - I love my Kokopelli's handling!).

Is this flex normal? I've done the same test to my hardtail and my GF's steel rigid bike and they both have some of the same type of flex but not nearly as much as the kokopelli's.

mtbr member

I can feel it

Never did any test but compared to my HT there is some flex. Not saying it is bad in any way but I can feel it somtimes. Can not compare to any other FS since my 575 is my first.

Spin-stabilized
    Rode it again today for 25miles in varied terrain. Hit a lot of small jumps/kickers ( I know, I should probably get a freeride bike again) and did not notice anything while riding. Maybe I just got a flexy tubeset

MOO
    mtbr member

Try pulling apart

I have a Koko. It is a good idea to take the rear swing arm apart and check each pivot point ,bushing and bearings indvidually for slop.This is a very simple job. If you check it with the whole thing connected it is hard to isolate the problem if there is one.

You have to love this bike!!!

Moo

In my mind, I can do it!
    I thought I noticed some flex in my 575 when I first got it and eventually came to the conclusion it was the wheels and not the frame.

As far as the test you did, I tried that as well and seemed to see flex too but then I noticed that you do get an appearance of flex from the tires. As you press on the pedal the tires start to roll a bit and it seems like flex. So I dismissed this as an invalid test.

Anyway, as far as I am concerned I don't feel any flex on the frame while riding.