Hi!!!

New question here. So when does the SS season start/575 overhaul?

Didn't want to hijack Harp's thread....

Due to effin' goatheads, I've been off the Yeti for the past couple of weeks due to flats. Amazingly, the SS has been getting some loving yet no flats. Go figure.

Anyhoo...I *think* my Yeti is good to go for tomorrow and Friday...I hope...I'm pretty sure the front tire is A-OK...

Harp mentioned getting his bike overhauled...I'm gonna do that within the next couple of months too, but I wanna make sure I have everything covered. So far I'm planning on doing the following....

* Vanilla RL overhaul.
    * Bearings replaced.
    * Other general maintenance.

What else do I need to do? I had air sleeve maintenance done on the RP3 this spring...do I need to do more to it? Brake pads were replaced as well. New cog or chainrings (I guess the shop can determine that)? Does the brake system need to be worked on (Hayes HFX-9). I also had the chain replaced too.

The bike is 2+ years old. It hasn't been abused, but it has had some crashes. It only gets ridden a couple of times each week on fairly benign trails with some visits to the mountains and ski resorts thrown in.

I'm going to bring it to my new fave LBS to have them work on it since they did such a great job with it this spring.

With regards to the start of the SS season....

I want to ride all my bikes as much as possible over the next month or so. There usually is no telling what Mother Nature is gonna do in this valley from year to year. It could be a dry winter down in the valley (which I'm hoping for) or perhaps wet, cold, and sloppy. Ya' just never know.

Anyhoo I'd like to get an idea of some semi-official date when the Yeti goes into hibernation and the SS comes out on a full-time basis.

Sorry for the long post....

Nick
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    ...when the Yeti goes into hibernation...
    I ride the 575 year-round as weather permits. My SS is geared more as a townie, canal path runner and gives me options when the trails aren't cooperating. I will say it's expanding, and there will likely be more SS on the trails next year.

As a closet Shop Rat, I do all my own work and keep the Yeti dialed in on a regular basis. I find there's really nothing that can't be done in a matter of hours... given the right tools, of course.

When I mention overhaul I'm really refering to some upgrades. I'm intending to have Spectrum custom repaint the front triangle and thus it would be the time to tweak the shock. I'm still debating waiting another season, though... the frame could handle some more abuse and there's nothing wrong with the RP3 other than wanting improved performance. After spending time on the rental in Utah, I'm am pondering the thought of going with hydros this winter instead.

That said, a thorough cleaning will be in order. Fresh lube helps keep the added winter moisture at bay. Also, my wheelset is screaming for some professional attention that lasts longer than two beers and some good 'ol eyeballing. Fork oil change and shock sleeve maintenance is a given here in the sloppy northeast. I've logged a good many miles in two seasons and the bearings haven't balked a bit.

Keep it simple, common sense prevails. You'll know when it's time for hub overhauls and bearing issues; no need to invite the shop to spend your money.

[SIZE="1"]*disclaimer* ...above was in no way a knock on quality work done by quality shops.[/SIZE]

Bomber
    its good to do a break bleed about once a year....

mtbr member
    Hey Nick,
    My $.02

* Vanilla RL overhaul.
    Get it Pushed. They do a complete overhaul when they Push the fork plus, you get better seals and bushings.

* Bearings replaced.
    Since you live and ride in the desert, your bearings should still be good. Instead of replacing the bearings, iInvest in a good torque wrench and make sure they are tight periodically.

* Other general maintenance.
    Chain, cassette and middle and granny replacement is probably a good thing as well as new cables (I replace everything once a year and put on new cables and housing twice a year).

If the Hayes HFX9 are doing OK, you shouldn't have to mess with it (unless it gets spongy on long downhills then you may have moisture in the system and a bleed would be a good thing).

Oh yeah, one more thing, it's SS season all year round! hehe

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho

Oh yeah, one more thing, it's SS season all year round! hehe
    It doesn't need to be wet and muddy to ride the SS... sure in the summer the FS takes the most attention, but it still rocks to take out the SS

Just for inspiration...

SSing in Autumn

Adobo Lover
    I agree with flip concerning the shocks. Especially if the price of the overhaul at a LBS is the same as it is at Push. You get a fork overhaul and new stickers to boot. That's what I plan to do, when my shocks needs the work.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Stumpy
    Especially if the price of the overhaul at a LBS is the same as it is at Push.
    I would hope not.

For $30 & one hour you can have a fresh fork with improved seals.

Adobo Lover
    Around my way it's about 100 bucks. Around 60 for labor and more for parts.
    Last edited by 95Stumpy; 10-18-2006 at 05:55 AM.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Stumpy
    I agree with flip concerning the shocks. Especially if the price of the overhaul at a LBS is the same as it is at Push. You get a fork overhaul and new stickers to boot. That's what I plan to do, when my shocks needs the work.
    It's not just an overhaul, they also use different seals (they use the Rockshox 32 double seals to prevent the dreaded seep) new resized bushings for less play, revalve for your weight and riding style, and replace the oil with Torco fluid.