mtbr member
    Jul 2006

So i'm think i'm going to get a ASR-5A

I ride in North Carolina and I'm coming from a hard tail.
    Bike hopes to be full XT but what about the fork?

Should i go 120mm or 140mm up front on the ASr5?

...and then there's the Rocky Mountain Element MSL
    uuuugh, decisions!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'd go 140, then you have the option of adding a spacer and lowering it to 120 if you want. I'm running my 5 at 130 and really like it. Good to have options.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I got my ASR5C with a 120 mm fork and then swapped out to a 140 mm fox float (actually a 150 mm that I reduced down to 140). The bike is definitely more fun at 140 mm on the downhills. The extra 20 mm of travel and the slacker heat tube angle make a fun bike even better, the thing just rips! On the climbs the 140 mm is a little slacker but, in my opinion, the bike still climbs just as well as with a 120 mm fork. For reference, I am someone who likes to climb a lot and I do not use lockout on my fork.

If you are building up an ASR5 I would definitely get it with a 140 mm fork. As Chunkylover said it is pretty easy to reduce to 120 mm if you decide to later on (at least for Fox, no idea with other brands). Good luck on your purchase, the ASR5 is an AWESOME bike and I have been very happy with it.

Snapper
    I prefer the 5 with 130mm for the general riding, and 120 for the head angle but get too many pedal strikes at 120mm so get a 140 Float and set it at 130mm -then you can swing both ways - so to speak.

mtbr member
    Me too!

I'm in Georgia, currently ride a HT, and am going with an XT ASR-5. I'm going with the 120mm fork, though because I want to steepen the head angle and don't think I need the extra travel for the riding I do.