So do i go ASRC or SB66C

So here is the story -

So two years and five months ago I bought Yeti ASR Carbon love the bike but recently I have had a couple of big crashes on the bike.
    As a result of these crashes I have cracked the frame on the bottom tube and cracked the rear swing arm not to mention a fair size ding in my front wheel.
    Of course all of this is not covered under warranty.
    The good news is that I am covered under insurance for this type of thing and have started the process of the claim.
    For me it was a no brainer. Replace the broken frame and wheel like for like. Except the guy at the bike shop mentions the SB66 Carbon.
    So now I am tossing up if I get the ASR Carbon or the SB66 carbon ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm personally a fan of the sb66 design over the ASR. I'm actually in seriously considering purchasing the sb66 race alloy myself. I like the alloy for 2 reasons: way cheaper and I'm just not a huge fan of the idea of a carbon moutain bike. Lets face it, our bikes get dinged from all sorts of debris from the trail and carbon doesnt have the same hardness or impact resistance as Al. Not to mention that if debris does puncture the carbon it has a higher likelihood of failing big time as opposed to just denting. I don't have much evidence at all to back all that up but those are just my feelings.

mtbr member
    Those aren't similar bikes at all. The SB is going to suck for XC racing, the ASR is going to suck for AM riding. Decide what you want to do with it; no one can answer that for you.

The ASR5c is kind of in-between...

mtbr member
    I'm curious as to why you think the ASR-5 will suck for AM riding.

Do you cleanly divide Trail and AM and feel the Asr5 is more XC/trail? I'm asking because Yeti lists the ASR5 and 5c as AM bikes.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    @KevinGT-The ASR and the ASR5 are two different bikes. The ASR is a 4" XC race bike, The ASR5 is a 5" All Mountain bike. Much different geometry between the two.

The ASR-5 is an all mountain shredder. Maybe JohnP would like to weigh in, but as far as comparing it with the SB66......the SB66 has a bit slacker angles, allowing the rider to go bigger, but the ASR-5 is right in the All Mountain sweet spot. Climbs like a beast and loves to go down fast.

The ASR is a completely different animal than the SB66. Buy an SB66 and you will crash less.

mtbr member
    Ah, I read it wrong. I thought he was looking at the ASR-5C not the ASR-C. My mistake!

I'm actually looking at the Alloy ASR-5 as an XC/trail bike but I'm a tiny bit worried about the AM geometry. I've only ever ridden 71deg HTA and don't do a lot of big air stuff or drops.

$1099 for an alloy ASR-5 seems like a good deal but they are going fast! Only 2 left in my size and color. Decisions decisions...
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The ASR-5 pedals extremely well. As good as any bike I've ever ridden. What concerns you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    The ASR-5 pedals extremely well. As good as any bike I've ever ridden. What concerns you?
    My only concern is the HTA. I'm used to 71 deg and have never ridden anything other than that. I'm not sure how much of a difference 3 deg will make but having not ridden one, it's a small concern.

I guess I'm a little concerned about the weight, having ridden nothing but HT's all my life but I'm not fast enough, light enough, or pro enough to worry about 3-4 lbs. of weight on a bike when I haven't raced since 1994.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've never ridden a bike with a 71 degree head angle. I can't imagine that it's very confidence inspiring. Todays frames are slacker than they have ever been before, but upgrades in technology has bikes pedaling better than ever. I think you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised with the ASR5, especially at speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    My only concern is the HTA. I'm used to 71 deg and have never ridden anything other than that.
    I'd bet that once you ride a slacker bike for an hour or 2, the steep bike your used to will feel awful, like you'd endo dropping off a 2" curb. After riding a 575, I had to put a longer fork on my ARC because it just felt too steep.

Back in the day mtbs had super-steep head tubes because that's what road bikes have, and no one knew any better (if it's fast on pavement, it must be fast on dirt, right?).

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Those aren't similar bikes at all. The SB is going to suck for XC racing, the ASR is going to suck for AM riding. Decide what you want to do with it; no one can answer that for you.

The ASR5c is kind of in-between...
    Thanks Joules, You where spot on.

Rode the SB95 (sure it is a 29er) liked the ride of it but I did notice the bike can climb but not as good as the ASRC. I could not imagine going six inch travel.
    Being a 29er I noticed it was harder to chuck around in the corners and had me running wide in corners.
    So it is settled I am going back to the ASR Carbon
    Thanks guys for your input

[QUOTE=smellurfingers;10156787
    The ASR is a completely different animal than the SB66. Buy an SB66 and you will crash less.[/QUOTE]

Well maybe i should buy it then. I have had some big crashes. I have had more crashes in the last three months then the previous two years