Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

And so it begins - Induction into the Tribe

Introduction:

I started mountain biking in the late 80s in the foothills at the base of Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs. In just a few months, I went from never having heard of mountain biking to buying every mountain bike magazine I could find on the newstand. I've typically ridden low end bikes. It was never about the bike, to me, it was about the legs and the lungs. That said, I was an early adopter of things like front suspension and clipless pedals. But the bike itself was secondary to the sport.

Except for one bike...

Yeti was always "The Bike" for me. I loved the look and the attitude. But I couldn't justify spending the money on a Yeti regardless of how much I loved the bike. Seriously, on an Army lieutenant's salary, how could I rightfully spend more on a Yeti frame than my wife's and my bikes cost combined? So I always quietly drooled over Yeti bikes while riding a base Rockhopper or C-Dale M700.

That all changed today. I returned from a business trip to find a couple of packages waiting for me. It's time to join the tribe.

Purchased so far:

2012 Yeti ASR-5 with Fox Float CTD Kashima, size small, black ano
    Fox Racing Shox 32 Float 120 Fit RLC
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    Thomson Seatpost binder (a bit of needless bling, but I like the full Thomson cockpit)
    3T Xida LTD Carbon riser bar
    Stan's ZTR Crest rims with Hope Pro2 EVO hubs. Black on black.

I'm finishing the cockpit with a Thomson X4 stem (blue dress up kit)
    The drivetrain will be full XT, 2x10 (38/26 and 11-36)
    Brakes will be XT but seriously considering SLX after demo'ing a bike with them. Great brakes!
    Pedals will be a new set of Eggbeaters

Still undecided:

Headset
    Saddle
    Grips
    Tires

More to follow...
    Last edited by KevinGT; 03-02-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post

I've typically ridden low end bikes. It was never about the bike, to me, it was about the legs and the lungs.
    OH, so thats what I've been doing wrong...had it backwards!

Nice bike
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Congrats on joining the tribe. If you're still down in the Springs (or if you ever make it back to CO), you should stop past the office for a factory tour.

Glad to have you on board!

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Kevin, I just built up the 5. The CC 40 series is actually a pretty nice headset for the money. I never saw much need or reasoning behind a $100+ headset. Cartridge bearings are cartridge bearings, no? I'm also a local ATL'er, up in Buford. Maybe I'll see you around on the trails. Gonna get in my first ride tomorrow.

BTW, if you need to save some coin on some tires I have a few that will go up on Sorba really soon. Another big tire sale on there now which might be worth a look. Have fun with the build and congrats!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice! I may have the tires sorted out already as I have a friend who has a friend working for a tire company. I think I have some freebies coming my way! If not, I'll check yours out.

I purchased the wheels today.

New Stan's ZTR Crest rims with Hope Pro2 EVO hubs. $325 including the 15mm conversion kit. WOW! That is going to knock the total price of this bike down quite a bit. I had "budgeted" $600.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    New Stan's ZTR Crest rims with Hope Pro2 EVO hubs. $325 including the 15mm conversion kit. WOW!
    Damn, that's a deal on that wheelset!

BTW, if you're doing the Thompson stem in blue a Chris King blue ano headset would look sweet with that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyinatlanta View Post
    Damn, that's a deal on that wheelset!

BTW, if you're doing the Thompson stem in blue a Chris King blue ano headset would look sweet with that.
    The wheels arrived today. FAST and free shipping from the UK...still amazed. I'm a bit worried about the durability of the Crest. I'm at about 165 pounds, without gear, so I'm well under the rider weight recommendation. I also don't jump or take big drops...I'm way too old for that But I still wonder if the Arch was a better choice. However, at this price, I can destroy the rims, buy a set of Arches, rebuild with those, and STILL be well under MSRP.

As for the blue headset, yes, that is definitely the way to go. The only thing missing would be blue Hope hubs but, again, for the price of the black, I'll pass on the blue!

Spring! Spring! Spring!

Re: And so it begins - Induction into the Tribe

All I know about King stuff is this ...

I have a 12 yr old set of King hubs on my hard tail that spins like new, third bike they have been on.

I have a King headset that is eleven years old. Works like new. Never creaks. Just works. Third frame.

Both have well over 30,000 trail miles on them. Really.

Have never ever failed me on a ride.

I am putting King hubs on my Sb95 this spring.

Peace of mind for long rides.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Update:

Making good progress! It's getting harder and harder to go out and ride my HT knowing this baby is sitting in parts in the basement.

Ready to rock:
    Yeti ASR-5 Alloy with Fox Float CTD Kashima, small, black ano
    Fox Racing Shox 32 Float 120mm FIT RLC
    Stan's ZTR Crest rims with Hope Pro2 EVO hubs
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    Thomson Elite Seatpost binder
    Thomson Elite X4 Stem 0 x 80mm x 31.8mm
    3T Xida LTD riser bar

Ordered:
    Shimano XT Ice-Tec rotors, 160mm
    Crank Bros Eggbeater 3 pedals

Still to buy:
    Chris King Headset, blue
    Thomson dress-up kit, blue
    Shimano XT 785 drivetrain
    Shimano XT 785 brakes
    Saddle
    Tires
    Grips

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Congrats man! It wont be long for me, I just started working at a shop that sells Yeti. I've wanted one for years... Time to get rid of the Kona.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    OH, so thats what I've been doing wrong...had it backwards!

Nice bike
    Argggg...I thought my ASR5C was broken because it makes my legs feel heavy and my lungs burn...

mtbr member
    Getting closer...

Added:
    Shimano XT 2x10 Crankset 38x26
    Shimano XT 2x10 Cassette 11-36
    Shimano XT Ice Tec brakes with 160mm Ice Tec rotors
    Crank Bros. Eggbeater 3 pedals (blue)

On order:
    ODI Lock-on Yeti Grips (blue collars)
    Thomson Dress Up Kit (blue)
    HG94 Chain
    Hope rear QR (blue)
    RaceFace Next SL bar

Still to buy:
    Shifters
    Front Derailleur
    Rear Derailleur
    Saddle
    Tires

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Are you going SRAM os Shitmano shifters and rear Der? Just got my first set of XO and will never own shimano shifters again.

mtbr member
    Shimano XT. I've been using Shimano shifters since about 1988 without a problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bought a set of shimano xt to replace some SRAM attack shifters that I was using. Double the cost and half as good. These are the earlier versions, the model right before they moved to dual position clamp. They do have dual position release which is nice but they just are not up to any of the SRAM I owned.

Austin, Texas
    Kevin, I have enjoyed my new build Yeti ASR5 immensely. I take the Spec FSR 29er out for some things, the Yeti out for others. I'm not sure I could ask for more. Big plus is everybody on the trails LOVES that turquoise beauty! I had a set of XT shifters on this bike before the new build up. NEVER worked right. Downright sucked. Shimano wouldn't do a thing the cheap ba#$%ds. My 29er came with SRAM X9 and they are awesome. SSOOOO much better than those turds on my other bike. However, when I had the new Yeti built, I went ahead and bought some new XT shifters (too much of a hassle to change the whole drivetrain). Holy moly, I can't believe the difference, and I am not sure why there is a difference, but these XT's are extremely good...every bit as good as the SRAM's. Don't understand it, but I'm mo happy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sorry to derail your thread, Kevin.

I have heard that the model of XT I have we're just not great shifters. But I'll not be going back to Shimano once these die... IMO, you just don't put out a supposed "high end" component of this caliper and drop the onus on the buyer.

mtbr member
    Update:

All purchases complete:
    XT 780 shifters
    XT 786 silver medium cage rear mech
    XT 786 silver front derailleurs
    WTB Volt Team (Ti rails) saddle
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic EVO with snakeskin 2.25"

With everything purchased, I took a stab at the weight. Using manufacturers listed weights, I'm coming in at a hair under 25 lbs...which was exactly my goal. I added some fluff for wheels (converted to 15QR) and tires (Schwalbe notoriously comes in heavy, I understand) and am at 24.77. Add in a bit for cable housings and other inaccuracies and I'm probably right at 25 lbs.

Once everything arrives, it's time to get her built! As I posted above, it's getting increasingly harder to ride my HT knowing what's sitting in parts in my basement.

mtbr member
    Hey congrats on joining the tribe. I am about to join aswell with a new to me 2010 ASR7 frame and i cant wait.
    Am enjoying reading your build up.
    2010 Yeti ASR 7

mtbr member
    UH OH! Potential delay...

The last component, a WTB Volt Ti saddle, arrives this weekend and I'm ready to start the build. But wait...what's that? An ASR-5C frame for under $2000? Stop the presses!

When I first decided to build up an ASR-5, I was torn between an Alloy and a Carbon. The alloy was $1100 and, at the time, the carbon was $1900 or so. It was a tough decision as the carbon makes it my absolute dream bike. But is the carbon worth $800? As I debated it, the decision was made for me. The US supply of 2012 5c's in a small dried up and the $1900 frame jumped to $2400 for a 2013. No way I'm paying $1300 more for the carbon so I bought the alloy.

But I've got an opportunity to pick up a 2013 carbon for under $2000. Do I build up the alloy this weekend or return it and pick up the carbon? Hmmm...tough decision. I'll wait until Sunday and then decide.
    Last edited by KevinGT; 04-05-2013 at 11:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you can afford it, get the carbon. It is better. Plus, it seems you will forever be asking yourself "what if I got the carbon?" Don't think you'll ask yourself "what if I got the alloy?" If you're going to ride the bike a lot, go for it. That determines whether it's a good buy or not.

mtbr member
    Once again, supply and demand decided for me. Someone bought the carbon so I'm sticking with the alloy. The last two parts came in today. I've got the Nobby Nic's mounted tubeless (ridiculously easy for a first timer, I might add) and I'm packing it all up for the shop tomorrow morning. This should be the last picture of the parts as parts.

The next post will be the final bike.

mtbr member
    And I am officially in The Tribe. Picked her up tonight and got in a quick 6 mile singletrack loop before it got too dark. Note the yellow pollen dust already on the grips! Ah, Spring has arrived in Atlanta.

26.00 pounds. It's exactly a pound heavier than I predicted. Not sure where the added weight came from but I'd bet it's the little things (valve stems, sealant, cable housings, etc.). I think the tires are a bit heavier than list as well.

First impressions after a short test ride:

- The bike is faster than I am. Coming from 20 years of HT riding, it will take some time before I let it run like it's designed to run. I still find myself picking clean lines when the straight line would be fine. I still brake too much when the bike doesn't need to slow down. I ride it like a HT and it laughs at me.

- The true strength of this bike, surprisingly, is how well it climbs. Standing or seated it goes up like nothing I've ridden. A close second is how quick it is.

- The XT brakes are freakin' amazing. I came from BB7s. The XTs are silent and have amazing modulation. I didn't adjust a thing on them and they already amazed me.

- The XT shifters are very cool. I love that I can activate the down shifter by either a push or a pull. Being able to shift while one-finger braking is pretty handy. I'm glad I got the iSpec, as the handlebar looks very clean.

- Love the Nobby Nics! This was my first tubeless install and it was ridiculously easy. See the rave reviews here: First tubeless install: Crest + Nobby Nic = easy peasy

- I think the colors worked out very well. I used a blue rear QR (Hope), Thomson dress-up kit, Eggbeater 3's, and ODI lock on clamps.

The true test will come Saturday when I ride my favorite singletrack loop. My test ride was on unfamiliar terrain so I'm really looking forward to riding something I know well.
    Last edited by KevinGT; 04-11-2013 at 08:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    enjoy....

mtbr member
    6 week update:

This is the best bike ever. Period.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast