Positive Vibe Technician

Upset slack in dogbone area?

Had a great ride Saterday - I was heading out this morning for what I hoped to be another great day. In my pre-ride check/maintaince I noticed some play in the suspension - I think it is coming from where the dogbone & float are connected, but it is hard to tell. I made sure all bolts were tight, but that did nothing. I'm headed to the LBS tomorrow AM. Has anyone else had this issue?
    If you are gunna be dumb, ya gotta be tough

mtbr member
    Mine has had play in it for a couple of months now. I took the shock off but then figured out I needed special tools to pull the dogbone/float apart and I've been too lazy to order it from Yeti. I am assuming the shock bushing is gone and I will need to replace it. I do not have side to side movement I just have front to back movement. It is starting to make more nosie than I can take so I need to get it fixed.

good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes, sounds like the 'glacial bush' in the shock that has worn.

It is best not to leave this too long because if you wear the bush through you can damage the shock eyelet.

Chaser

mtbr member

Heading to my LBS too

Quote Originally Posted by ShanerPVT
    . In my pre-ride check/maintaince I noticed some play in the suspension - I think it is coming from where the dogbone & float are connected, but it is hard to tell. I made sure all bolts were tight, but that did nothing. I'm headed to the LBS tomorrow AM. Has anyone else had this issue?
    my 575 has about 50 miles give or take and I don't see how this issue can come from wear.
    I'll update after the LBS will look into this.
    GB

Positive Vibe Technician

Back from LBS

took them about 5-10 min. to fix the solution. I quess I missed a bolt or just didn't get it tight enough? sometimes i leave the shop feeling like a dumb ass.

anyway mine's fixed for now - hope you had as good of luck as I had.

mtbr member

Wink same here

fastend the RP3 bolt and its gone. Hope this is not going to happen again. Shouldn't come loose.

Positive Vibe Technician

which bolt

which one was loose? the one to the knuckle or the one to the dogbone? mine was the knuckle.

EDR
    mine came loose after almost every ride when I first got my bike. After tightening AND blue loctite I never had the problem again.

mtbr member
    which one was loose? the one to the knuckle or the one to the dogbone? mine was the knuckle.
    The bolt connected to the dogbone. They said they were not familar with this issue for RP3 but this was known in the 5th element days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    mine came loose after almost every ride when I first got my bike. After tightening AND blue loctite I never had the problem again.
    How long ago have you done this?. There is a long thread running on Titus board now about horst link bolts coming loose. Lock tight solution is also debated there. ML owners started carrying spare bolts when riding and do a pre-ride bolt checkup. I hope it won't get to this point with my 575.
    Well, I always knew HTs are easier to maintain.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    How long ago have you done this?. There is a long thread running on Titus board now about horst link bolts coming loose. Lock tight solution is also debated there. ML owners started carrying spare bolts when riding and do a pre-ride bolt checkup. I hope it won't get to this point with my 575.
    Well, I always knew HTs are easier to maintain.
    I got my bike last September I think. I applied locktite within the first few weeks on many bolts including the rear der. hanger (they came loose), the shock pivot bolt (loose also), rotor screws, etc, etc. Nothing has come loose ever since then. I ride often and sometimes hard.

Positive Vibe Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I got my bike last September I think. I applied locktite within the first few weeks on many bolts including the rear der. hanger (they came loose), the shock pivot bolt (loose also), rotor screws, etc, etc. Nothing has come loose ever since then. I ride often and sometimes hard.
    what is up with the different colors of locktite? I heard once to use the blue? can you get the bolts loose one it is applied?

this might be a stupid question, but i just don't know anything about locktite.

mtbr member
    what is up with the different colors of locktite? I heard once to use the blue? can you get the bolts loose one it is applied?

check out the Titus board for thread about horst link bolt coming loose. They discuss it with mixed opinions. Some suggests it may not come out when you want to unscrew a bolt.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    fastend the RP3 bolt and its gone. Hope this is not going to happen again. Shouldn't come loose.
    After mine came loose once, I tightened it back up and its been fine every since. I think it just takes some "real world" use to get everything to seat in and then with a re-torque everything stays put.

Positive Vibe Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    After mine came loose once, I tightened it back up and its been fine every since. I think it just takes some "real world" use to get everything to seat in and then with a re-torque everything stays put.

I hope you are right - i won't mess with the locktite for now - will just keep a good eye on it.

thanks,
    shaner

mtbr member
    I pulled me dogbone apart to find a perfect bushing. The orange coating on the inside of the bushing has like new. I'm not sure where the play is coming from. I have pulled everything apart and can find no wear.

I guess I will keep riding until it gets to the point where I can figure out what is going wrong.

mtbr member

I would'nt

ride with a loose bolt. I think you must identify it asap or otherwise create damage to your dogbone or RP3 eye (or wherever it is). For me all noises and loose parts, are an alarm that somthing may go wrong and I loose confidence in the ride. If you go to Titus board you will learn that people lost link bolts on the trail. Some had to walk their bike and others were lucky to find the bolt and continue.

mtbr member
    GreenBonty,

I agree with you that I would not ride the bike with a noise if I did not atleast look for what is wrong. Ihave had the entire bike apart and nothing was loose and nothing showed wear.

I put everything back together and still have the noise therefore I will ride until it bad enough so I can find it. For that matter it might be a cracked frame but I did not see any cracks either.

Positive Vibe Technician

Take is to the

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiketodd
    GreenBonty,

I agree with you that I would not ride the bike with a noise if I did not atleast look for what is wrong. Ihave had the entire bike apart and nothing was loose and nothing showed wear.

I put everything back together and still have the noise therefore I will ride until it bad enough so I can find it. For that matter it might be a cracked frame but I did not see any cracks either.

LBS - I thought I had everything tight, but I missed one. I'm just sayin it's worth the effort.

EDR

by 'blue' I mean 'medium strength'. This is usually defined as sufficient holding strength but that can be broken by normal hand tools (i.e. allen key, wrench, screwdriver, etc). The 'red' is high strength and not recommended for any bolt that you will want to remove later. Loctitite makes tons of stuff for different applications but these items I'm referring to you will find at the LHS (local hardware store). I highly recommend using it. It's not permanent and will ensure you don't lose something on the trail or cause damage by unknowingly riding on a loose swingarm assembly or something.

Many bolts come with loctitite pre-applied, like rotor and caliper mount screws.

Positive Vibe Technician

blue!

thanks for the clearification on the locktite. pick some up next time i'm at the hardware store.