mtbr member

Shock upgrade for SB5c

I'm wondering if a shock upgrade for my 2015 SB5c would make an already awesome bike even better. I'm currently running the stock float. I weigh 150 to 160 lbs. I ride in Colorado. I suppose I'm your typical trail rider. I enjoy long technical climbs and fast descents. I wouldn't want to sacrifice climbing too much. Would I gain anything from the float X? Would the float X2 be to down hill focused?

mtbr member
    A piggy back shock would be a huge improvement! also consider the monarch+ and dvo. you will find some using x2 and dvo in the build thread so you can get some real life feedback on these particular onea

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    I'm wondering if a shock upgrade for my 2015 SB5c would make an already awesome bike even better. I'm currently running the stock float. I weigh 150 to 160 lbs. I ride in Colorado. I suppose I'm your typical trail rider. I enjoy long technical climbs and fast descents. I wouldn't want to sacrifice climbing too much. Would I gain anything from the float X? Would the float X2 be to down hill focused?
    Your stock shock is a fantastic and well performing shock in it's own right and an upgrade is by no means necessary unless your really wanting to push your 5c to a more gravity capable bike. The main drawback to upgrading is you'll add some additional weight and then the additional money to purchase the new shock...$400-600.

Regardless of your decision I'd still keep the stock shock in your toolbox for the times when you want the lighter weight and efficiency of the CTD / DPS Evol. I run a Float X2 and I'm very happy but also I hear the DVO is equally good as well as the Monarch plus.

Don't worry to much about a climb Switch or lockout because most riders keep the shock in the open position as the bike has little wasted energy when pedaling flat sections or fire road as well as climbs in or out of the saddle.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    I should mention I keep the shock wide open all the time and I'm very impressed by its performance during technical climbs. I do find I run more sag then recommended and still don't bottom out too often.

mtbr member
    I should mention I keep the shock wide open all the time and I'm very impressed by its performance during technical climbs. I do find I run more sag then recommended and still don't bottom out too often.
    Lol, yes it's crazy to think the bike is only 5" of travel and it feel bottomless to a point of being able to tackle really harsh and choppy trail as well as some large drops to flat and jagged step downs and the suspension platform just soaks everything up without the harshness and nervous feeling of the other similar bikes I've ridden...SC 5010, RM TB and Mojo 3 which was pretty good but was definitely not as well suited for the chunky stuff.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    you run the shock wide open more sag than normal and rarely bottom out....

so what do you think the bike/or your setup is lacking that a new shock can provide? seems like you are doing pretty well on the stock configuration? Or do you just want something shiny and new? I totally get that part :P

mtbr member
    I don't think my SB is lacking. I'm just wondering if I can make a great bike even better. I climb a lot and enjoy it, but I'm hoping to get more skilled on descents this season.

mtbr member
    ^^^ I think you'd be happy with the Float X but if you wan't the ultimate tune-ability then get the X2 and never look back. A shock swap takes about 5 minutes so you can ride with your stock shock on more mellow days and then put the big dawg on when your going to tackle more gravity oriented terrain.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    then spend that 500 clams on a lesson! a new shock you might get 1% faster. I bet with a lesson you will at least get 2% faster Ive taken a few from a guy in seattle (simon lawton) , no help to you, but it makes a world of difference. I am sure there is someone local

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    then spend that 500 clams on a lesson! a new shock you might get 1% faster. I bet with a lesson you will at least get 2% faster Ive taken a few from a guy in seattle (simon lawton) , no help to you, but it makes a world of difference. I am sure there is someone local
    I agree 100 % with this statement. There is no substitute for riding your bike and putting in the time on the trails as well as reading and watching skills video's... Lee McCormacks book "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills" or GMBN network on youtube.

I know there are some great skills camps and coaching from Ninja and many others. just spend some time reading reviews on local talent and go from there.

Oh yeah, buy whatever shock you feel will make you more confident. Regardless of if people think it's wasted money or not if it makes you happy and you try new challenges on your bike you will never doubt spending the money.

Have fun and be safe !!!!
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    A couple years ago I took lessons with Lee McCormack since he's in my area. Unfortunately just as I was starting to implement the lessons in 2014 I was struck by a car while road riding on my mountain bike by a distracted driver and almost killed. Broken neck, leg, ribs...yada, yada... The SB5 replaced the Mojo SL that was mostly destroyed. Last summer I started to get back in the groove. This year I want to start improving.

Edit: add link to Lee.

Lee Likes Bikes

mtbr member
    A couple years ago I took lessons with Lee McCormack since he's in my area. Unfortunately just as I was starting to implement the lessons in 2014 I was struck by a car while road riding on my mountain bike by a distracted driver and almost killed. Broken neck, leg, ribs...yada, yada... The SB5 replaced the Mojo SL that was mostly destroyed. Last summer I started to get back in the groove. This year I want to start improving.

Edit: add link to Lee.

Lee Likes Bikes
    I'm very glad to here that your back in the saddle and almost fully healed. That takes a lot of drive and motivation to come back from an experience like you've lived through and congradulations to you for overcoming what you have overcome.

You and me both want to keep improving and your example gives me a reason to be thankful and ride harder and safer and appreciate what I have. Talk to you soon
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Thanks bro. The accident taught me to never give up on your goals or yourself and to value the process of getting where you want to be. Its not only the destination. I just got back from riding an area called White Ranch in the foot hills above the Denver area. The climb was so hard my mouth hurt. What is considered bottoming out on the float? I was just above the kashima label.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If you don't mind the extra weight (and cost), the eleven six is pretty damn incredible. It has completely changed my 5c on both the climbs and descents.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i swapped out my original Fox shocks for the DVO topaz in the rear and DVO diamond in the front. i also was super happy with the SB5c and wondered if a shock upgrade would make a difference and went with DVO because they're local to me. by the way, i'm just a few pounds lighter than you and usually do 15 mile rides on the weekends here in cali. i'm not a super aggressive rider but will go up to Big Bear bike park a couple times in the summer.
    i was hoping the shocks would make a big difference on the downhills but was already amazed at how the bike climbed after the change. even with both shocks wide open (just like how i rode with the Fox shocks), it felt like i was on a hard tail on the climbs but faster with more control on the downhills. with that said, i'm still slightly tweaking both shocks - more on the fork. i don't have any other shocks to compare it with so take my reply for what it's worth. also, the guys at DVO helped me adjust it at their shop and i bumped into them on the trail once and described what my experience was with the shock and they helped me fine tune it on the trail as well. so i've had the luxury of having the actual pros check and adjust mine. was it worth the extra $$$$.....sure but i like shiny bits on my bike. but glad you're back on the bike!

*disclaimer-don't work for DVO and didn't even know the guys until my purchase.
    yeti SB5c
    specialized epic comp carbon - 650b

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Its cool that you ran into the DVO folks. I often ride an area near Yeti headquarters. I'm pretty sure they test their designs there. I haven't run into them. I think its because they ride at lunch. Maybe I'll post pictures of the area.

mtbr member
    My buddy will be installing the DVO Topaz on his E29 and I'll give it a spin and give my opinion on the shock at some point. I let him test ride an X2 on his bike and he was really impressed but his mind is made up on the Topaz and I'm sure he will like it equally.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    Elistan, did you just take the Trails Essentials lesson or a private lesson with Simon? I've been contemplating taking something from him. I took an "intermediate" lesson with Evergreen but it was basic. Waaaay basic.

mtbr member
    I just checked out Simon Lawton's web sight and I'm digging his free vids he shows. I'm thinking about ordering his 3 pack DVD set as It would be a really good watch for me before rides just to work on some new skill each time out. Thanks for mentioning him Elistan.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Lawton's videos look great. It'd be cool to have them on a phone to review when practicing. Here's a video that helped me descending switch backs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF9efIKIvk8

mtbr member
    Lawton's videos look great. It'd be cool to have them on a phone to review when practicing. Here's a video that helped me descending switch backs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF9efIKIvk8
    I just bought his 3 videos on iTunes and am loving the info
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    Elistan, did you just take the Trails Essentials lesson or a private lesson with Simon? I've been contemplating taking something from him. I took an "intermediate" lesson with Evergreen but it was basic. Waaaay basic.
    private lesson. Was just him and i at duthie. He will ride behind you and figure out what needs work pretty much right away. then you go do a ton of drills. Then you ride the same course again and you are noticeably faster. The more drills, then whatever you wanna work on. I highly recommend it. Ive done it for 3 sessions and i live down in portland.

mtbr member
    Ok. Thanks. That might be something I'll do. Looks like he'll do a private lesson for 2 for the same price, too. That's not a bad deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm on the fence about either getting my rear shock Pushed vs factory rebuild vs purchasing Float X. My shock is due for servicing as it is wallowing and not as responsive as it was new. I had the opportunity to demo the SB5.5c and loved how the Float X felt on it. It just seemed livelier and able to pop more off rollers and drops. I am not a gravity oriented rider but do like taking small jumps of popping off natural features. Would a Pushed fox DPS evol provide what I'm looking for or should I just shell out the $$ for a Float X? The costs are ~$350 for Pushed, ~150 for Factory rebuild, ~$500 for Float X.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chichiballz View Post
    I'm on the fence about either getting my rear shock Pushed vs factory rebuild vs purchasing Float X. My shock is due for servicing as it is wallowing and not as responsive as it was new. I had the opportunity to demo the SB5.5c and loved how the Float X felt on it. It just seemed livelier and able to pop more off rollers and drops. I am not a gravity oriented rider but do like taking small jumps of popping off natural features. Would a Pushed fox DPS evol provide what I'm looking for or should I just shell out the $$ for a Float X? The costs are ~$350 for Pushed, ~150 for Factory rebuild, ~$500 for Float X.
    Before deciding on a new shock vs. a service try adding one or more volume spacers to your shock. They increase the progressiveness of the shock and give you more of that "pop" as well as preventing blowing through the travel. They are inexpensive and easy to install; no tools required. If you're then happy about the shock's performance you can get it serviced and save yourself some $ over buying a new shock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I didn't know they made air sleeves for the rear shock! I thought it was only on the front. I will definitely try this first. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chichiballz View Post
    I emailed PUSH a few weeks ago about a tuning on a DPS EVOL, but it seems that they don't offer that yet. Here is what they told me:

"Unfortunately, we do not offer any service for the DPS yet. I have spoken with R&D and they are working on it but could not give me an ETA. I am hoping it will be an offering very soon."