Who is John Galt?

The shaft on my shock

Got my Yeti 575 from Full Cycles, $400 cheaper than the LBS could get it plus the upgrades which would have added anotehr $200 or so...

Had it a month and the RP3 went out...under warranty.

So I takes it to the LBS fully expecting them to make up for their lost sale. 6 weeks later I get the bike back (today) along with a bill for $120, for my new bike with a shock that was under warranty.

The bill included $45 labor, $25 special handling fee, and $49 to pay for the bearing kit after they destroyed the old bearings putting them back on. When I complained they knocked $10 off the price of the bearings.

Had I bought the bike from them I am sure I would have paid about $10 for the whole mess. What do you guys think -- did I get the shaft on my shock? What should I do next time something goes wrong?
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Big Jim Mac,

In my option if you are not going to support your LBS (that sells the brand of bike you wanted) then I suggest you learn how to work on your own bikes so they do not have the chance to stick it to you.

Sorry but....

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Another option could have been to contact Full Cycles for help, some wrenching on your side would be required, but they sure would help you out.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My store sure as hell doesn't do free warranty service on stuff people bought elsewhere. Nor did my last store, in a completely different industry. Every part of a store has to make money, especially the parts where they're paying someone by the hour to work on your stuff, or sit on hold on the phone for your parts.

Now, breaking your bearings and then charging you for the replacement... that's not cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, the 575 shock removal is a bit complex but I personally would have used Fullcycles and shipped the shock to them. I may have had to buy a tool ($25) but replacing the shock myself would have been the way to go. It's good to know how to do that.

The handling fee is always a bit of padding but other than that, it isn't too bad.

First- consider buying a Float R as a backup (around $100 on Ebay and under $200 new).
    Second- buy the shock removal tool and make sure you have whatever else is listed (see Yeti's site).
    Third- This happens again- call Fullcycles for assistance- they are a real shop, and a damn good one. Shipping a shock will cost you less than $10 and there is nothing they can't do in their shop.
    A backup shock is a must for long trips or out-of-town trips, in my opinion.

Anyway, you're still way ahead financially.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I missed that part- the bearing should have been replaced for free or at true cost, which would prob be around $20.

Who is John Galt?
    All good advice. I sure didn't expect them to do the work for free, I didn't have th etime to do it myself and figured they had experience working with Fox. What really bothered me was the charge for the bearings. They did pcire it right -- Yeti web site says $50 for what I got.

By the way, I have the rest of the bearings if someone needs an odd one. they had to buy the whole set and only used one, I believe.

Did I mention that when I got home the rear tire was flat? Insult to injury! Now I'm going to go patch a tube...
    What, me hurry?