Who is John Galt?

Setting sag on Vanilla 130 fork

No matter what I do I seem to end up with the same sag on my 575 fork. It's a Vanilla 130 RL. I turn the knob wide open and it's still about an inch. Turn it all the way the other way and I get an inch. cycle the fork a few times, try it again right in the middle and then I get 3/4 inch. turn it one way or the other and get 3/4 inch again. What's up? Is it something to do with how I am sitting on the bike? I tried leaning against a post and also had my sone hold it, either way it does not feel natural like it would when I am riding. Maybe I need to put some clothes on?
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you using the Medium or Heavy spring? I'm 185 and found that with the heavy spring, I was not compressing the fork enough, regardless of what I did with the adjustments. I went back to the Medium spring, cranked up the compression to reduce brake dive, and things were perfect.

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Are you using the Medium or Heavy spring? I'm 185 and found that with the heavy spring, I was not compressing the fork enough, regardless of what I did with the adjustments. I went back to the Medium spring, cranked up the compression to reduce brake dive, and things were perfect.
    Not sure what spring I have but I didn't change it. Seems like I read in the Fox manual that it comes stock with a spring that should work for my weight, which is about 190 pounds with a full Camelback and two PowerBars. I don't think it's too heavy, I can get it to work pretty well. However the ride is pretty harsh.

Another question, do you set front or rear sag first or does it make any difference? Also wondering if I need to dial in the rebound before I set sag? I would think sag is first.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Which sag you set first should not matter too much. I wonder if you have too much oil in it- that will make it harsh. I found the Vanilla to be amazingly plush and good over small stuff. Check your oil level- is this a new fork? Has it broken in? I set the sag first and then the rebound. There are many here who know a LOT more about suspensions so wait for them to chime in. I've mentioned the only things I can think of.

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Which sag you set first should not matter too much. I wonder if you have too much oil in it- that will make it harsh. I found the Vanilla to be amazingly plush and good over small stuff. Check your oil level- is this a new fork? Has it broken in? I set the sag first and then the rebound. There are many here who know a LOT more about suspensions so wait for them to chime in. I've mentioned the only things I can think of.
    Thanks, it is a new fork, only ridden a few times so it isn't broken in yet. That may make a difference. I'm writing a book, having to keep the nose to the grindstone so haven't gotten too many miles in yet.
    What, me hurry?

Positive Vibe Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    Not sure what spring I have but I didn't change it. Seems like I read in the Fox manual that it comes stock with a spring that should work for my weight, which is about 190 pounds with a full Camelback and two PowerBars. I don't think it's too heavy, I can get it to work pretty well. However the ride is pretty harsh.

Another question, do you set front or rear sag first or does it make any difference? Also wondering if I need to dial in the rebound before I set sag? I would think sag is first.

i think the vanilla comes stock w/ the blue spring (150-180lbs). I'm just under 200 & just changed to the green spring (175-210 ). a hella stiffer - more adjustable. i adjust my vanilla more by feel and ride than by sag. when i rode a air fork i set the fork more by sag. just a thought.
    If you are gunna be dumb, ya gotta be tough

Adobo Lover
    From my understanding, the knob is only for rebound and has nothing to do with sag. The spring changes the sag. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Stumpy
    From my understanding, the knob is only for rebound and has nothing to do with sag. The spring changes the sag. Correct me if I'm wrong?
    I'll correct you -- on the Vanilla the left knob (while seated on the bike) controls sag, at least according to my fox manual. The right side handles rebound and lockout. but the spring does have an affect.
    What, me hurry?

Adobo Lover
    Roger that. I missed that entire section in the manual. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it goes tonight.

Ride on
    Jan 2004
    The left knob controls preload, which in turn affects sag. I had the same problem with my Vanilla where changing the preload didn't seem to have any affect on sag. A couple of years of abuse seem to have broken it in quite nicely