mtbr member
    Apr 2007

servicing ASR5 headset bearings

I have a Yeti ASR5 Alloy (year 2010 or 2011), and I believe that its headset bearings are toast. Turning the headset is very uneven and bumpy!

I have never serviced a headset before, but I am willing to learn and I have the ambition to do it myself. Would somebody be so kind and advise me as to what tools I need and what replacement parts I should purchase?

Any advice shall be highly appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    answers to all these questions depend on what headset you have, and have little or nothing to do with the frame.

parktool.com can give you general advice (what tools you need; which is probably allen wrenches and maybe something to get the bearings loose, and what to do), your headset manufacturer can tell you what specific parts you need (bearings, maybe seals).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well, sure, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if I needed some allen wrenches and stuff - but I was hoping that maybe somebody has also serviced the same headset on the same bike and might direct me to some specifics, like the kind of bearings that I would need to purchase. The fork is a Fox Float (2010 or 2011)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Different builds could and often do use different headsets. Knowing the specific headset manufacturer is what is important here, not the frame or the fork. Regardless, check out parktool.com like Joules said, it is generally a similar process for most.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The current headset happens to be a CaneCreek Forty. However, there appears to be two dozens different headsets in this "forty" series (40-Series). Any suggestion which one may be the correct one? It seems that they differ by diameter, hence the makeup of the frame and the fork does seem to matter...

mtbr member
    Have you written to Yeti Technical Support? Try Emailing Dave service@yeticycles.com and give him your Frame serial number. From that he may be able to tell you during the time your frame was assembled which 40 Series head set was spec'd to be used. That is probably your best bet. If not you can remove your fork and do some measuring to see which one you have. Cane Creek might also be able to help as well.

Some LBS shops have tools to rent, and headset pullers with different Dies to fit different setups. If you have a good LBS maybe they would be willing to help and possibly supervise you doing the work? That way you can get some first hand experience and have someone to help if required.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    The current headset happens to be a CaneCreek Forty. However, there appears to be two dozens different headsets in this "forty" series (40-Series). Any suggestion which one may be the correct one? It seems that they differ by diameter, hence the makeup of the frame and the fork does seem to matter...
    I'm 90% sure it's an "inset 44/56" headset.