mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Scott Spark 640 or Yeti sb66 Race Alloy

I know this is kinda silly posting this on a manufacturer specific thread but I figured people could be somewhat unbiased for a moment and let me know their thoughts. But I was looking at getting one of the two bikes in the title. Mostly for XC and trail with the occasional DH (I'm not highly skilled so the level of my DH would be considered beginner). The Scott spark 640's twin lock system is cool to me as I always wanted a bike that I can adjust suspension on the fly. It also has a sleek and sexy design that I like. In comes the Yeti sb66 which needs no introduction and is just simply a sick bike. The switch technology is truly amazing and innovative to me being an engineer myself. the Yeti is also a bit more durable but a thousand more bucks than the spark if I decide to go with the sb66 race alloy. Any thoughts?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Two radically different bikes. IMO Scotts best days are far behind them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yea, I'm aware they are quite different. I was just looking for some thoughts on what would be the better choice. You seem against Scott. Any reason for that? I have seen in their 2012 sparks the chains stays have failed in a a few of them. Other than that I would say they are pretty solid. But you seem to know a bit more about them than I.

mtbr member
    I've never been into all the adjustments I equate with Scott suspension designs. I get the appeal, but I like to set and forget and not worry about a thing. I rarely even touch the CTD lever. I ride a SB66 for rough XC and love it.

I'm not directly familiar with the Spark but looking at it online it does seem more comparable to Yeti ASR5 which would lessen the $ difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I did check out the ASR5, but what really drew me to the Yeti in the first place was the switch tech. Do you have a 2013 sb66 with the switch technology on it? and if so is that a game changer in the way the Yeti marketing team portrays it to be?

mtbr member
    There are lots of great bikes available these days so I'm reluctant to call anything a game changer. The switch design works well that much is true for sure. I've had lighter and faster bikes but never one that hooked up and crawled over obstacles like the SB. It also has outstanding braking. I credit the suspension for those qualities.