Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tribe Member

Score of the new year SB66 comp

So I have been eye balling a new bike and was looking forward to riding the new SB75 or SB66. But this morning on ChainLove came the score.
    They have the new SB66 Comp bike that retails for $2900 on sale for $1739. It was almost a no brainer. It has the Evo line of shocks so no Kashima coating but my current 08 ASR doesn't have it either. Build is straight off the Yeti website.

Stoked to have a new bike and can either ride it the way it is or take all the XTR parts off of my ASR. Should be here in a week or so. Ordered up a small, I'm only 5'8", since I will race some BME events and general trail riding here in CO. TT length is the same as my medium ASR.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Long live the ASR-7
    Saw it come up just now and couldn't believe my eyes. Should have snagged one myself.

two wheel whore
    I snagged one at the same time as you. I was going to get the carbon frame for 2g's, but uh yeah this is much better for me. My WFO needs a couple of upgrades, and I'm just retesting 26's.

Congrats on the purchase!

mtbr member
    I woulda snagged a small Turq but I never saw the deal. ugh!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Tribe Member
    The only reason I saw the deal was I setup a notification text from SACAlerts. I put some stuff in there and got a text overnight about a Royal Racing jacket. So hopped on the computer and looked back at overnight deals. It came up at 556a MST the first time. Set the alert for the complete bike and got the next alert at 833a. Pulled out the CC and it has a new home. They had one of each size in Black and only the XL for Turq. I have always owned a turq dominant Yeti though. Told the wife after purchase because it is easier to ask for foregiveness than permission.

Shmoo, congrats on your purchase also. Such a killer deal....
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post
    So I have been eye balling a new bike and was looking forward to riding the new SB75 or SB66. But this morning on ChainLove came the score.
    They have the new SB66 Comp bike that retails for $2900 on sale for $1739. It was almost a no brainer. It has the Evo line of shocks so no Kashima coating but my current 08 ASR doesn't have it either. Build is straight off the Yeti website.

Stoked to have a new bike and can either ride it the way it is or take all the XTR parts off of my ASR. Should be here in a week or so. Ordered up a small, I'm only 5'8", since I will race some BME events and general trail riding here in CO. TT length is the same as my medium ASR.
    5'8" and a small? I'm just over 5'9 and prefer a large! Crazy how different sizing is from one person to another.

Congratulations on the new bike - that was a no-brainer.

Linoleum Knife
    Got the Turquoise in M.

Totally stoked. I lurve my 06 575, but I can't do a dropper or beefy enough fork.

Tribe Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    5'8" and a small? I'm just over 5'9 and prefer a large! Crazy how different sizing is from one person to another.

Congratulations on the new bike - that was a no-brainer.
    My ASR is a medium with a 105mm stem with the same 23.3 top tube. The SB66 is just as long and with the 160mm fork it pushes the front end up also. I have a super short inseam at 29" so standover is an issue at times. Everybody that I have talked to in my area said to go one size smaller so that is what I did. Guess we will find out here in about 10 days.

mtbr member
    Black xl comp
    on sale right now!$1739

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I grabbed a Medium earlier today....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Any theories why they would be blowing out a '14? Seems odd - they really wanted these gone today - I think they've popped up several times today.

mtbr member
    Please post ASAP if you guys see a small Turquoise Comp on sale!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I was going to grab 2 smalls and a medium, but before I could register an account they all sold out. What a bummer.

Tribe Member
    At 615p tonight it was relisted but only had Black XL available. Set up a text message to your phone via SACalerts.com That way you can follow along when your size comes up.
    They did a small frame at 3p in Turq at $1165. When I ordered mine, they did not have Turq as an option only black.

Good luck to everybody looking for a one.

mtbr member

Looks like a SB66 frame is up there right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Looks like a SB66 frame is up there right now.
    Just grabbed the frame for the wife. Saw the frames cycle up on the site a couple of times today. If anyone else is looking, seems like they have a number of black/turq frames that they'll be putting up over the next few days. $1,164 frame only.

Long live the ASR-7
    Complete bike listed right now. Size S and XL.

mtbr member
    I can't believe the deal!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewnielson View Post
    I can't believe the deal!
    And I can't believe they haven't shipped my bike yet. I'm right here in Utah and expected to have it Friday; according to their site it still hasn't even shipped.

Tribe Member
    And I can't believe they haven't shipped my bike yet. I'm right here in Utah and expected to have it Friday; according to their site it still hasn't even shipped.
    Right there with you. Sites says shipping via UPS SurePost. I'm wondering if they don't have them, they ship from Yeti to CL to us. I'm 20 minutes from Yeti. Just let me pick it up there. But for the deal and 4" of snow today, I can wait.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Right there with you. Sites says shipping via UPS SurePost. I'm wondering if they don't have them, they ship from Yeti to CL to us. I'm 20 minutes from Yeti. Just let me pick it up there. But for the deal and 4" of snow today, I can wait.....
    I think UPS SurePost is a mix of a couple different carriers - maybe even USPS + UPS. Which is bad.

I just ran through Live Chat with Backcountry; the rep said they "build the bikes to test the bikes before shipping". That makes no sense to me at all - why would they bother?

But anyway, the rep claimed that it should go out Monday.

mtbr member

You really can't complain that much after the killer deal you got.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    You really can't complain that much after the killer deal you got.
    Yeah I know, but when you order something...anything..you're anxious to get it. And, $1740 was a crazy deal, but still $1740!

mtbr member

I hear ya! It'll be there before next weekend.

Tribe Member
    Finally got my shipping info from ChainLove. Shipped today and will be here tomorrow. Pics to follow this week in the 66 build forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Finally got my shipping info from ChainLove. Shipped today and will be here tomorrow. Pics to follow this week in the 66 build forum.
    Received mine today. I grabbed a Medium; my Large SB 95 makes this feel like a little kid's bike.

Anyway.

Score of the new year SB66 comp-20140107-_mg_7674.jpg

mtbr member
    oh god don't pinch the top tube like that!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    the rep said they "build the bikes to test the bikes before shipping".
    Yeti ships the bikes as "kits" not like a specialized, trek or giant. The dealer has to build the whole bike, install the BB, cut the fork, install the headset, run the cables.... everything but lace wheels on a stock build.

That's why Yeti dealers are the best bike shops! They get a box of parts and hand you the best bike you've ever had

(ass kissing lips off)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    oh god don't pinch the top tube like that!
    Oh god why?

Tribe Member
    Good thing that I have a whole shop full of tools to take it apart, grease everything, cut to size and check alignment and then put it back together then. I dont trust any mechanic that I dont know. Sorry but after managing shops for 4 years I have seen almost everything....and alot of it wasn't pretty. Not a dig at anyone just my personal viewpoint. Cant wait to build mine and clamp the seatpost.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That doesn't make sense to me. Why would you put so much stress on the tiny awkward seat post, where the leverage is completely off balance?

I see absolutely no issue with the top tube. It's balanced and low stress. I know I've seen most on the seat post, but why? I'm not cranking down hard on the tube either, if that is the concern.

But I'd like to know instead of reading the pointless jabs, please.

two wheel whore
    Isn't the seat post and tube designed for weighted stress (your body weight). The top tube is not. Waiting for the real answer.

mtbr member
    No pointless jab meant. The post can be replaced, if it is ever dented (witch I doubt happens) but the top tube is not. I've seen bikes clamped buy the top tube get dented so easy it's not funny. That tube is rather thin compared to a seat post.

Also, the seat TUBE is meant to have alot of stress put on it. Between you falling on the seat and the suspension working it back and forth it's the toughest part of any bike (next to the head tube).

mtbr member
    Not trying to be a jerk, just don't want to see someone mess up a brand new bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not trying to be a jerk, just don't want to see someone mess up a brand new bike.
    Thank you. The pointless jab comment was to yetirich by the way.

The seat post just never made sense to me. Yes it is designed to handle a lot of weight, but from forces RIGHT above and nearly straight-on at all times. Clamping the post puts ALL of the weight of the bike perpendicular to the post. Seemed crazy to me. And I've always had a drop post lately which makes it even more awkward.

But, I'm somewhat new to bikes and riding at "this level". I'm from the motocross world, my KTM is 225 lbs and tough.

Never thought about the fragility of the top tube.

mtbr member
    It's just one of those things. I've seen tandem bikes ruined by shop guys that had no idea what they were doing by clamping a tube, I've also heard carbon road bikes crack when clamped down on buy repair stands.

I used this alot when working on bikes that came to the shop with dropper posts.
    Park Tool Co. » ISC-4 : Internal Seat Tube Clamp : Accessories

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's just one of those things. I've seen tandem bikes ruined by shop guys that had no idea what they were doing by clamping a tube, I've also heard carbon road bikes crack when clamped down on buy repair stands.

I used this alot when working on bikes that came to the shop with dropper posts.
    Park Tool Co. » ISC-4 : Internal Seat Tube Clamp : Accessories
    Ok thanks - I guess I'll start awkwardly using the seat post for mounting. And btw, I've used the top tube (right at the cross-brace) on my last 3 bikes with never one issue.

Your bike sucks
    Terrible is right. In a rush, I'd maybe "clamp" an Al frame from the top tube to hang the bike but not with any pressure on the tube (eg: clamp loose or open). Also, never would work from that position - wouldn't apply force that would create leverage.

Use a crappy post or the park gizmo. I also don't clamp on droppers.

Enjoy the new bike! Looks sweet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ok - I think it's plenty clear to clamp to the seat post. Photo for proof. Subject closed.

Now back on subject - @yetirich - what exactly do you plan to do with this Comp? Obviously being the lowest-level-build, there is a lot of room for parts-swapping.

Brakes, crank (and I'd go 1x10), XT rear derailleur, tubeless, bigger 2.4 tire up front, carbon bars, dropper, etc etc...what is your plan?

(I just weighed mine - 30.8 pounds with tubes, no pedals)

Score of the new year SB66 comp-photo-jan-07-5-59-03-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Received mine today. I grabbed a Medium; my Large SB 95 makes this feel like a little kid's bike.

Anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140107-_MG_7674.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	386.2 KB 
ID:	860800
    The reason you clamp the seatpost and not the top tube is because of the butted tubing. You are clamping the tube at the weakest point and it can be very easily crushed even by just bumping the bike while it is clamped. The seatpost is designed to take a LOT of stress since it is holding your entire body weight+ without any triangulation.

Tribe Member
    Ok - I think it's plenty clear to clamp to the seat post. Photo for proof. Subject closed.

Now back on subject - @yetirich - what exactly do you plan to do with this Comp? Obviously being the lowest-level-build, there is a lot of room for parts-swapping.

Brakes, crank (and I'd go 1x10), XT rear derailleur, tubeless, bigger 2.4 tire up front, carbon bars, dropper, etc etc...what is your plan?

First, I didn't mean the jab at the seatpost but that is at least 4 posts ago right?

I will be using mine for trail rides here in Colorado and some BME events. Got a bunch of buddies that have 6" travel bikes that want to take me to the resorts and beat the hell out of me. Will also be doing the Gunnison half growler on it. I love long 30+ miles singletrack rides and just getting to old to do it on a 4" travel bike. I have singletrack right out the back door and the CO trail is just a short 20 minute singletrack ride.

Your bike looks great. At some point it will get XT, dropper, wheels. I am just going to ride it till the parts need to be replaced or whenever I can sneak them past the accountant. Will get new bars/stem in the next couple of weeks. Once I have some miles on it, then I will know what works and what doesn't. Cant wait for mine to show tomorrow.

You should come out for Tribefest this year. Always get to see something "new" there.

Linoleum Knife
    what exactly do you plan to do with this Comp? Obviously being the lowest-level-build, there is a lot of room for parts-swapping.

Nice - My parts calculator had my guesstimate at 30.6.

My plan -
    Stage 1) Saddle, Stem, handlebar, tubeless. Possibly 2.4's and 180mm rotor in the rear.
    Stage 2) Dropper. Maybe brakes. Maybe wheels.

The stock build is really pretty decent.... except that it's all SRAM. Give it 2-3 years to wear out, then replace it all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy View Post
    Nice - My parts calculator had my guesstimate at 30.6.

My plan -
    Stage 1) Saddle, Stem, handlebar, tubeless. Possibly 2.4's and 180mm rotor in the rear.
    Stage 2) Dropper. Maybe brakes. Maybe wheels.

The stock build is really pretty decent.... except that it's all SRAM. Give it 2-3 years to wear out, then replace it all.
    Keep in mind, I'm not using the fancy Park Tool scale. This is me on my home scale, holding the bike just to get an idea. I did it quite a few times to make sure I got a consistent reading though.

I've only rode mine around the driveway and I can already tell the Avid brakes are nothing but mush. I've had them before and bleeding was never a cure. XTs were (or even SLXs - they are very good too).

The 2.25 tires look too small on the bike. I'd go 2.4s for sure, probably front and back.

A 3-ring crank looks old-school and goofy anymore - I really like the idea of a 1x10 with a 32 up front and maybe adding a 42 in back.

My plan is to just get rid of all the SRAM stuff right away, eBay it for whatever I can, and XT most of it. With the price paid, it's still a good buy no matter what.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    First, I didn't mean the jab at the seatpost but that is at least 4 posts ago right?

I will be using mine for trail rides here in Colorado and some BME events. Got a bunch of buddies that have 6" travel bikes that want to take me to the resorts and beat the hell out of me. Will also be doing the Gunnison half growler on it. I love long 30+ miles singletrack rides and just getting to old to do it on a 4" travel bike. I have singletrack right out the back door and the CO trail is just a short 20 minute singletrack ride.

Your bike looks great. At some point it will get XT, dropper, wheels. I am just going to ride it till the parts need to be replaced or whenever I can sneak them past the accountant. Will get new bars/stem in the next couple of weeks. Once I have some miles on it, then I will know what works and what doesn't. Cant wait for mine to show tomorrow.

You should come out for Tribefest this year. Always get to see something "new" there.
    @yetirich - I go to Gunnison every year to moto with family & friends up at Taylor Park. I'll bring my MTB this coming year and stick around on my own for a day or two if there is great riding there (I'm sure there is).

We spoke on sizing a bit in this thread; I first felt that this Medium was too small, but I compared the geo specs to my Large Reign, and actually, this 66 is almost identical in a few aspects (wheelbase is spot-on-the-same) and top tube is actually .1" longer, so almost identical in those two regards which was surprising. Standover is very different, but that's just in the design itself. Just found that interesting. Yeti's ARE built big.

Linoleum Knife
    My plan is to just get rid of all the SRAM stuff right away, eBay it for whatever I can, and XT most of it. With the price paid, it's still a good buy no matter what.
    You really can't judge brand new brakes just going around the driveway. Until you bed the pads in and shake all the air bubbles around, they are going to suck.

I'm not a fan of really anything Sram or Avid, but it's cheap... and it's already there. I'll just ride it til it falls apart.

I ride a lot of places that a triple is really nice to have. I'm mostly immune to worrying about looking goofy.

Linoleum Knife
    Ho Lee Crap.

What a fantastic bike. Swapped out the tires with some 2.35 excavators, need to swap out the saddle and trim the bars a bit - but otherwise it's amazing.

Got 20 miles in yesterday. It's 2lb heavier than my 575, but the SB pivot thingie made it much, much easier to get up the hills.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey guys, I got one of the Comps on close out at Competitive Cyclist--not as cheap as the Chainlove deal, but close enough to still be a good buy. Can't wait to get it! One question for those who have their bikes already: does it come with a 142x12 rear axle already, or is it a 135 qr? Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyTacos View Post
    Hey guys, I got one of the Comps on close out at Competitive Cyclist--not as cheap as the Chainlove deal, but close enough to still be a good buy. Can't wait to get it! One question for those who have their bikes already: does it come with a 142x12 rear axle already, or is it a 135 qr? Thanks everyone!
    142x12mm

Tribe Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyTacos View Post
    As KGA states it is setup with 142x12 but mine also came with 135mm dropouts, Yeti cable protective set and a build sheet. My only issue was that the chain is cut to short to use big and big. It stretches the rear der so it's parallel with the ground. Somebody didn't use the big/big +2 links method. Took about 30 minutes to unpack and put together. Enjoy your ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thank you guys for the helpful information! I'm a bigger guy (~250 lbs) so the 142 is going to work well for me. I'm happy that Yeti offered the Comp build kit--it's probably the only way I could have afforded to buy one! I feel like most of the components should last a good while, at least until I can replenish my bike budget. Sooo looking forward to getting my new ride!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast