Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SB95c wheels

Bikes!

SB95c wheels

Im having real issues with the Mavic Crossmax ST wheels I have on my SB95c, there is a play in the hub that is noticeable when I'm riding and also when I hold the frame and wobble the wheel laterally. I have the MP3 policy so I can send them back to have Mavic look at the them however this will be the second time they've gone back and to be honest I'm beginning to wonder whether I chose the wrong wheels?

So my question is, what wheels should I buy?

i have used Hope hubs more often than not over the years, with very few problems, Hope are based within 2 hours of me and their customer service is great.

i want a tubeless rim, the one thing that sold me on the Crossmax (apart from the mp3 warranty deal) was the true tubeless rims used on the wheels that are not available through Mavics 29" range.

I had some stans Crests on my last 26" bike however I cracked two rims and found them too light for my own 225lb frame. I was thinking about the Flow EX this time round?

What do you guys think? What are you running?

Yes I'd love a set of CK and Enve wheels but in all honesty I can't see that happening as I'm trying to get away with a hard tail/CX bike purchase at the moment too!

mtbr member
    INDUSTRY NINE :: torch wheels

I was looking at a set of their Enduro wheels for my SC Bronson C build (but ended up buying a complete bike).
    Ridin' & Diggin'

Bikes!
    The only thing that puts me off the I9's is I'm in the UK and their backup over here probably isn't that great compared to how it is in the US. I could be wrong though

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Prestige Cycles is the UK distributor of I9. A small company, but if you phone them, you usually get straight through to the owner, Stephen.

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by recipher View Post
    Prestige Cycles is the UK distributor of I9. A small company, but if you phone them, you usually get straight through to the owner, Stephen.
    That's cool thank you, I might give them a call tomorrow to discuss, I believe we have a common interest in Dekerfs so there'll be plenty to talk about.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I9 torch , I really can not believe how incredibly stiff and light they are and they stay together !

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    j look into light bike carbon rimson hope 2 evo hubs...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nothing wrong with Hopes and Flow EX. Servicing this wheel set should you ever need to is so simple. Too me, the reliability, ease of service and cost are pluses for that combo. You already have wheel issues with the Mavic's and your understanbly bummed.

I'm riding DTSwiss 240 on Stan's Arch EX. The weight, speed, ease of tubeless set up, serviceability, etc. were my primary drivers for this choice. I weigh 165.

Bikes!
    I\m definitely going to look into these...

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    j look into light bike carbon rimson hope 2 evo hubs...
    I have been trying to remember the name of this company for ages, thanks!

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by rianclay View Post
    Nothing wrong with Hopes and Flow EX. Servicing this wheel set should you ever need to is so simple. Too me, the reliability, ease of service and cost are pluses for that combo. You already have wheel issues with the Mavic's and your understanbly bummed.

I'm riding DTSwiss 240 on Stan's Arch EX. The weight, speed, ease of tubeless set up, serviceability, etc. were my primary drivers for this choice. I weigh 165.

It's the servicing and backup that I am most concerned with, Mavic have a good setup with the MP3 policy however using Hope hubs in the UK is always easy and simple if anything should go wrong.

I am 225lbs, I'm not sure if the Arch EX would be strong enough, what do you think?

Bikes!
    I think I'm going to take a gamble and go with these rims built up to 430g a piece to account for my weight and riding style:

Wider carbon mountain 29er rims clincher(tubeless-compatible) Light-Bicycle

With Hope Pro II Evo Hubs using DT Comp Spokes and nipples in silver.

They offer a UD Glossy finish that should match the Yeti really nicely.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Let us know how those carbon rims work out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    I think I'm going to take a gamble and go with these rims built up to 430g a piece to account for my weight and riding style:

Wider carbon mountain 29er rims clincher(tubeless-compatible) Light-Bicycle

With Hope Pro II Evo Hubs using DT Comp Spokes and nipples in silver.

They offer a UD Glossy finish that should match the Yeti really nicely.
    These do look really good , can't wait to see them on your bike .

mtbr member
    Is UD stronger than a weave?

Nice choice btw!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by rianclay View Post
    Let us know how those carbon rims work out.
    You'll all be the first to know if they don't!

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    These do look really good , can't wait to see them on your bike .
    Thanks, me neither!

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    Is UD stronger than a weave?

Nice choice btw!
    Thanks, as far as I'm aware the UD is just a finish, similar to the carbon on most modern bikes, the 3k and 12k finishes have a very visible weave a bit like old Easton Monkeylite bars.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks, as far as I'm aware the UD is just a finish, similar to the carbon on most modern bikes, the 3k and 12k finishes have a very visible weave a bit like old Easton Monkeylite bars.
    True

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just J,
    Sorry to hear you have some play in your back wheel but I think you might be jumping the gun looking for new wheels already. The Mavic Crossmax ST uses cartridge bearings and it sounds like you just need to adjust the preload to take up that play. When you got the wheels they should have come with a couple plastic wrenches that would make this job super easy. If it seems confusing take it to your local Mavic dealer, have them put a little Loc-tite on the threads and tighten everything up. This is a really simple fix so I wouldn't sweat it just yet! Let me know if I could help out with more info!

Jeff

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffLenosky View Post
    Just J,
    Sorry to hear you have some play in your back wheel but I think you might be jumping the gun looking for new wheels already. The Mavic Crossmax ST uses cartridge bearings and it sounds like you just need to adjust the preload to take up that play. When you got the wheels they should have come with a couple plastic wrenches that would make this job super easy. If it seems confusing take it to your local Mavic dealer, have them put a little Loc-tite on the threads and tighten everything up. This is a really simple fix so I wouldn't sweat it just yet! Let me know if I could help out with more info!

Jeff
    THE Jeff Lenosky?! Wow, hi and thanks for your reply! I'm a big fan and the fact you an other athletes use Mavic played a factor in me choosing them for my bike.

Having given it a few days I definitely think you're right, the wheels are excellent, very stiff, have the perfect tubeless system, nice and light and all in all have been great so I really shouldn't write them off yet.

I've just this afternoon dropped the wheels off to my LBS for a trip back to Mavic to see what they can do, I used the supplied wrench and unfortunately there is only so far you can adjust but I am sure the Mavic service centre will sort them out for me.

So before I go ordering some Chinese carbon I'll let everyone know the outcome, I'm sure it'll be a good one...

Thanks again Jeff, much appreciated. I look forward to your next Instagram update!

Bikes!
    Well the outcome of this couldn't have gone any better for me, I took my wheels to the LBS on Monday and received a brand new set this afternoon! I'm a happy customer and so glad I went for the Mavic MP3 policy!

Thanks again Jeff and everyone else who commented on this thread.

Bikes!
    However...

60 miles later and the new rear wheel is out of true and the bearings need adjusting mid ride. Think it's time to thnk again now as much as it grieves me to say.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    However...

60 miles later and the new rear wheel is out of true and the bearings need adjusting mid ride. Think it's time to thnk again now as much as it grieves me to say.
    Oh no , I feel for you , nothing I hate more than wheel trouble I am really hard on my wheels and I have sure had my share , I hope you get it sorted out so you can keep on riding .

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    Oh no , I feel for you , nothing I hate more than wheel trouble I am really hard on my wheels and I have sure had my share , I hope you get it sorted out so you can keep on riding .
    Thank you kelstr, this is it, I'm not usually that hard on my wheels really, I mean, I am a big guy but I'm actually lighter at the moment than I have been for a while but maybe I'm riding harder than usual? I don't know. Maybe I should just get some Flow rims built onto some nice hubs and have done with it? I'll see what happens when my local shop trues my crossmax up first...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast