mtbr member
    Aug 2008

SB95C Weight Question.

I'm thinking of going from my alloy 95 frame to the carbon version. My goal is to build a 25/26lb. 29r for next year.

Right now my Large 95a with dropper and alloy wheels is 29.5lbs. Decent. But I want something 25-26lbs for next year. (I know, I know, it's not all about weight, but I just want to make that change).

How light are some of your 95C builds? How light can this bike realistically get?

Edit: Actually with a little digging, it looks like the carbon frame is only one pound lighter than alloy - I'm curious to hear what yours weigh...
    Last edited by KGAmoto; 10-28-2014 at 02:35 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My bike is a small, but full X01, XT brakes, I9 Trail 24s, EC70 post and bars, SLR saddle, and Conti rubber weights 25.25 lbs with Candy 2 pedals.

Not Bad
    I could (and have gone) go lower but right now mine is sitting at 28lbs with proper wheels and tyres, XO1/XX1, reverb, pike, XT brakes, race face turbine etc.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    You'll lose weight cheaper in other areas that you can then transfer to an even lighter SI version of the 95 when it comes out. I'd look at carbon rims before dropping the cash on a carbon version of an aluminum frame I already had. XO1 will drop some nice weight if you're not already running a 1x.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    You'll lose weight cheaper in other areas that you can then transfer to an even lighter SI version of the 95 when it comes out. I'd look at carbon rims before dropping the cash on a carbon version of an aluminum frame I already had. XO1 will drop some nice weight if you're not already running a 1x.
    I'm looking to drop nearly 4-5 pounds though! (yeah I know that a simple frame-change won't achieve that) Carbon wheels really isn't that much weight, for the very-high price tag. I'm running Stan's Arch with his 3.30 hubs and DID do a lot of digging around comparing and considering carbon wheels.

I see what you're saying, but I'm not a buyer for a-likely-$3500 SI frame. No way.

I have my current 95a about as light as it can be within reason (carbon wheels being the only major thing left to do - and yeah, I'm running 1x).

I'm either going to find a good deal on a 95C frame, or change brands all-together to find a more-affordable carbon frame / build option to get down to the weight range I'm looking for. And to be fair, I'm pretty much planning to build a full-on XC bike (never had one and want to try it, but am considering the 95C still because I like the bike and brand).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    XL, full xtr, nox xcr 29 wheels, lev, 140 pike, Fizik tundra carbon rail saddle, dt 240 hubs, time Xc carbon pedals, 2.35 maxxis ikon, 2.4 continue Mtn king = 27 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I demoed a large carbon with the xo1 build kit this summer. It weighed in a 27.46 w pedals. The only difference in specs from the yeti website were my shimano 540 pedals, I had a KS lev dx 125mm dropper, tires were ardent race 2.2 and ikon 2.2 (not sure if those were the spec'd tires or not, but just called them out you). There's a yeti sb95c build thread in this forum somewhere that has builds and weights that may be helpful for you.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    I'm looking to drop nearly 4-5 pounds though! (yeah I know that a simple frame-change won't achieve that) Carbon wheels really isn't that much weight, for the very-high price tag. I'm running Stan's Arch with his 3.30 hubs and DID do a lot of digging around comparing and considering carbon wheels.

I see what you're saying, but I'm not a buyer for a-likely-$3500 SI frame. No way.

I have my current 95a about as light as it can be within reason (carbon wheels being the only major thing left to do - and yeah, I'm running 1x).

I'm either going to find a good deal on a 95C frame, or change brands all-together to find a more-affordable carbon frame / build option to get down to the weight range I'm looking for. And to be fair, I'm pretty much planning to build a full-on XC bike (never had one and want to try it, but am considering the 95C still because I like the bike and brand).
    ASR-C is significant weight drop. Otherwise the new Nox Skyline 29 rims are pretty light, they just came out. You're right that most carbon rims hadn't been significantly lighter than Stan's, they seemed to be aimed at Trail segment, but they finally came out with some rims aimed towards the XC segment. I'm looking at those ones, that why I'm suggesting them. How much does the 95a frame weigh? I was thinking the C would only be a pound lighter. I think the ASR-C is only a 4.5lb frame, so you might drop over 2-3 pounds with that. Rims are rotating weight also, so that's something else to keep in mind.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You can build this bike with top component spec from around 26lb to 29lb, with tires, wheels and fork being the biggest difference. Just by putting on more aggressive tires, you can easily add a pound over the stock Ardent/Ikon combo. Up to two pounds if you go with #enduro casings. So carbon everything, a light fork and XC tires should get you where you want to be.