No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

SB95C shock choices

For the sake of argument, let's say you were unhappy with the overall performance of your Fox CTD on your SB95C. What would you choose as a replacement?

The 95 is my pedaly bike used on rocky Arizona rides; it's basically a backup bike for my E29, although it's been getting a lot of ride time lately. I don't want to lose pedal efficiency, nor do I want to add a ton of weight (thus no CCDBA-CS, which I run on the E29).

Where I'm unhappy: Bigger hit performance, but particularly in high-speed multiple hit situations, where I'm getting harshness and weird spikes. Options as I see them:

1. Send the CTD in to Avalanche. Did this on my Bronson and was very happy with it. Cheapest option at around $200 and it's a custom tune.

2. CCDB Inline. No experience with this, though I'm decently happy with my CCDBA-CS. I'm not a knob-twiddler, though, and prefer to set and forget.

3. Fox Float X. LBS employee has run this on his SB95 and sung its praises highly.

4. Monarch Plus Debonair. No experience with this.

Thanks for any insight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

SB95C shock choices

Riding tech terrain in CO I've been real happy with the CCDB inline. Didn't have CTD prior nor do I have experience with the other options mentioned above. Base tune as recommended by Yeti (unofficially) though can't recall the specifics (happy to provide). I'm 175-180 so not sure how that relates.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

SB95C shock choices

I just picked up a Monarch Plus RC3 because I wasn't happy with the CTD either.

And now it's snowing.

There IS winter riding around here but I won't really be able to put it to the test until I head south. I'll report back when I do.

I have a Pike up front which really elevated the bike, but the CTD a was really choppy under aggressive situations. Hoping the Monarch Plus helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hinchmant View Post
    Riding tech terrain in CO I've been real happy with the CCDB inline. Didn't have CTD prior nor do I have experience with the other options mentioned above. Base tune as recommended by Yeti (unofficially) though can't recall the specifics (happy to provide). I'm 175-180 so not sure how that relates.
    Yes, would be curious to see the base settings they recommended. Would be nice to get them on the forum somewhere. I'm a similar size and am thinking of trying an InLine.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    That hits my issue with the Inline on this bike, the fact that there's no official tune for the 95. Same issue when I initially put a CCDBA on my Bronson, and the performance was terrible. I understand that's since been rectified, but my experience was negative.

I think I might remove the Inline and focus on the three other choices. I'm really interested in the Monarch plus.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I wouldn't rule out the CCDBA cs w/reservoir for an XC application, with the installation of the volume spacers I'm much happier with it then the Fox it came with. Now that the in-line is an option I'd consider it as well but for the epic rides in the Rocky's where there are 5-8 mile down hill sections the reservoir is a big plus and it's barely any detriment for XC riding at the minimal extra weight.
    13 SB95c/XT/EnveM60ChrisKing/RF NextSL/PikeRCT3SA/CCDBAcs/KS Lev
    13 ARCc/EnveAMChrisKing/XT 1x10 OneUp

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hinchmant, are you at liberty to share who provided the unofficial Yeti tune for the DB inline on the SB95? Or better yet, can you backtrack with the shock to provide the tune you are using? I'm in a close weight range and have the SB95c and the DB inline was a recent upgrade. I've been enjoying the improved support and compliance but still in the early phase of fine tuning so input is welcome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

SB95C shock choices

Sorry for being so slow. I'll get that later today. I don't know who at Yeti provided the guidance, but the set up was in keeping with the terrain I typically see which is rocky, loose and oftentimes steep. Notwithstanding their obvious relationship with Fox, they're bike nuts at heart and so not surprisingly are familiar with the alternatives out there.

mtbr member
    I have a Pike on the front of mine and a Monarch Plus(recently upgraded to a Debonair can) on the back. I started out with the M/M tune and I feel it's overdamped on compression. I was interested in learning about shock shims so I did some fiddling with mine and ended up taking a bit off the low speed compression and a tad less high speed compression while keeping the rebound tune the same. With this setup the rear is outstanding and in my mind outclasses the Pike so I may need to do some fiddling with it this off season. Some people may like it but I don't think I would be happy with the M/M tune without any tweaking. Good news is it's really easy to do and I think I spent $20 for shims and the IFP fill adapter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

SB95C shock choices

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd Wong View Post
    I have a Pike on the front of mine and a Monarch Plus(recently upgraded to a Debonair can) on the back. I started out with the M/M tune and I feel it's overdamped on compression. I was interested in learning about shock shims so I did some fiddling with mine and ended up taking a bit off the low speed compression and a tad less high speed compression while keeping the rebound tune the same. With this setup the rear is outstanding and in my mind outclasses the Pike so I may need to do some fiddling with it this off season. Some people may like it but I don't think I would be happy with the M/M tune without any tweaking. Good news is it's really easy to do and I think I spent $20 for shims and the IFP fill adapter.
    I like to do it own suspension work but have never touched a shock. Yet. I just bought a Monarch Plus and will likely be tuning it myself - is there plenty of how-to info out there or do have a specific source?

mtbr member
    There are public Sram videos that show the whole process, and to get a feel for the tuning I read the Monarch plus shim stack tuning thread in the shocks and suspension forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

SB95C shock choices

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd Wong View Post
    There are public Sram videos that show the whole process, and to get a feel for the tuning I read the Monarch plus shim stack tuning thread in the shocks and suspension forum.
    Great. Thank you.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    I've said this before in other posts but hands down the CCDBA Inline. I have thrown almost every shock available on my 95C. I started with a Float X, than the RS Monarch Plus Debonair, then CCDBA, Than the CCDB Inline. The Inline shock was made for this bike. Absolutely positively amazing. The one drawback that I have come across is they have dumbed down my extremely technical trails too much to where they are not exhilarating anymore. And that is the only downside I have come across with this shock. My next choice would be the RS Debonair or CCDBA (But imho the CCDBA is overkill for this bike and adds .7lbs over other options).

But for me XL frame, 235-240 greed up, my home trails which are very steep, loose, rutted, dry so cal fire road ridges, with occasional drops thrown in , and the occasional trip up to Big Bear & Mammoth the DB Inline is the winner.
    Pivot Mach 6 (Currently being built)
    Yeti SB95C
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

SB95C shock choices

Setup:
    HSC 1.5 turns
    LSC 5 clicks
    HSR 1.5 turns
    LSR 7 clicks
    Running ~25-30% sag

mtbr member
    I put on a Float x and while it is better than the ctd, I'm not 100% satisfied but maybe I just have not tinkered with it that much. Maybe next season I'll put on an inline since that seems to be the best option out there right now.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Setup:
    HSC 1.5 turns
    LSC 5 clicks
    HSR 1.5 turns
    LSR 7 clicks
    Running ~25-30% sag
    Are these settings for a CCDBA or CCDB Inline?

My Settings are:
    HSR 2.5
    LSR 10
    HSC 2
    LSC 13

I'm running 15mm sag and the supplied volume reducing band & two Rock Shox red reducing bands as well. I have some settings and ride observations posted in the Cane Creek lounge
    Yeti SB95C
    1993 Brodie Expresso

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

SB95C shock choices

Inline. I can't speak to reducing bands (didn't set it up).

mtbr member
    Hi! Interesting thread. I'm not so knowledgeable about shocks and ignore a lot of the buzz regarding this or that innovation. For my education my question is: could you put on the map where Trek/Fox's rear shock offering stands? What I mean is can you say that the DRCV shock on the Remedy models are basically equivalent to the CCDBa? Thanx!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by starre View Post
    For my education my question is: could you put on the map where Trek/Fox's rear shock offering stands? What I mean is can you say that the DRCV shock on the Remedy models are basically equivalent to the CCDBa?
    The DRCV has two air chambers, the DBAir/DBAirCS/DBinline have one.

The DRCV has a "tradiational" XC/Trail-bike damper setup (propedal, mode switch ala RP23, rebound setting possibly affects compression behavior, small oil volume, tuning damper behavior requires disassembly), the DBAir has a large oil-volume damper with independent adjustments for low- and high-speed compression and rebound.

They are not comparable in pretty much any way that I can think of other than they can both be used on MTBs.

mtbr member
    Thanx for the technical details! still interesting but complicated for us 'set and forget' folks to get what goes on under the hood of these suspension systems. i think i'll stick to impressions given in ride reports.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    Are these settings for a CCDBA or CCDB Inline?

My Settings are:
    HSR 2.5
    LSR 10
    HSC 2
    LSC 13

I'm running 15mm sag and the supplied volume reducing band & two Rock Shox red reducing bands as well. I have some settings and ride observations posted in the Cane Creek lounge
    My riding weight is around 190, would I need any volume bands? Can you post pics of it on the bike? I have a pike 150 and I'm very interested in the DBInline...

Quote Originally Posted by marc.t View Post
    My riding weight is around 190, would I need any volume bands? Can you post pics of it on the bike? I have a pike 150 and I'm very interested in the DBInline...
    Marc I am about to respond to the PM you sent me. When I first got the shock CC told me I would need the 1 large band though. I will get back to your PM in the next hour.
    Yeti SB95C
    1993 Brodie Expresso

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Setup:
    HSC 1.5 turns
    LSC 5 clicks
    HSR 1.5 turns
    LSR 7 clicks
    Running ~25-30% sag
    Thanks Hinchmant, these settings worked really well on my DBinline ride also! I used the full volume reducing band to anyone else watching regarding the tunes for SB95c.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have experience with a monarch plus debonair on my 66c. Was thinking of putting one on my 95c, but found a monarch rt3 and wonder if anyone has experience with it on a 95c vs a monarch plus of float x on a 95c

The Monarch rt3 will have the same short coming as the standard fox rear shock. Less oil volume than the reservoir shocks i.e. float x or monarch plus. It will probably have better small bump compliance being a debonair. Besides that my shock choice is still the CCDB Inline. I tried the float X and the Monarch plus debonair. The CCDB Inline is the winner hands down. Just my $.02
    Yeti SB95C
    1993 Brodie Expresso