Thread: SB95c price!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

SB95c price!

Since Yeti reviled the SB95c I thought about replacing my great 575 to the SBC95c, than I realized that the price for frame is $3200,
    What happened to Yeti?
    Guys you are selling frame for a price of a bike, you missed me as a potential customer and by the way I'm a great fan of Yeti
    Dan

Root Master
    same price as the SB-66 carbon...

but I hear ya
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    It's also $200-300 more than their competitors!

Ripley-$2899, Jet 9 RDO-$2899, RIP 9 RDO-$2899, Tallboy LTc and Tallboy C-$2899, Pivot 429c-$2899, Intense Spider comp-$2899....

Hmmmm...there seems to be a common theme here!
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cryde View Post

I'd argue it's actually $301 more than it's competitors. That is a bit disappointing from Yeti.
    But I'd hope no one is surprised it's the same price as the 66c.

And please, OP, tell me what carbon full suspension complete bike is selling for $3200?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hi Joules,
    There is no carbon bike in $3200, just Aluminium bikes (which are quite good, for example: Canyon Nerve AL 29 9.9 ? First Ride Review - BikeRadar ).
    I'm thinking that the bike prices are going up and up.
    In my work, I'm designing mechanical parts and molds too, did you know that tooling for carbon frame is cheaper than Aluminium tooling? the material price is negligible. so why it cost more than Aluminium frame? there are some bicycle companies that understood that this is the facts and they are offering Only carbon frames.
    May be R&D time is greater than design Aluminium frame.
    I used to replace bicycles every 6 months and I had more than 5 bicycle in my warehouse, but after I purchasing the 575, I sold all the rest of my bikes, I just feel that this is the bike for me, now I'm dreaming on the sb95c, but the frame price looks expensive to me.
    I just wanted to spot it, just because it is raising from year to year.
    Dan

HAHA PWN
    No, but you can get this for 1100 cheaper and I hear lots of good things about this. If you're a smart shopper you can built this for the price of the SB-95c frame. If I didn't get my SB-95 for such a sweet price, I would of went this route.

Devinci Atlas 29" Carbon Frame

what the quan?!
    Just wait till the end of the season (only 5-6 months to go!) and most of the online retailers will be blowing it out (frame & complete) for a discounted price. It happens every year. Of course, if you need it now, you gots to pay up!

I hear you though about the prices... things be gettin' hella nutty! Funny thing is, it's starting to drive the price of used bikes up. Which is good and bad, depending on what side of the equation you're on.

When it comes time to upgrade my wifes bike, I will probably get exactly what I paid for it (it's going on 3 years old now) since the price of its current model release is almost 1k more than what I paid. It will look like a deal, right?!

mtbr member
    Ibis Mojo Special Blend is carbon FS for under $3k. It's an older design and so-so spec of course; they've had plenty of time to make their money back on the carbon molds.

More than that comparison though, it's really striking that the SB95c is $300 more than ALL its direct competitors. Granted, $300 may not be a dealbreaker when these bikes will all be in the $6k+ range fully built. Maybe this is even strategic, i.e. an effort to create the perception of a "premium" product, since the rest of the market seems to have agreed on the $2900 pricepoint.

On the other hand, that's the cost of a nice dropper post or upgraded cockpit & pedals.

mtbr member
    This will be my first "premium" bike, more than likely and the difference between this and the other top contender on my list (Jet 9 RDO) definitely stands out. The other, and more obvious negative for me, however is that for a nearly $6K (Race build) bike, the wheel spec seems like total crap! I will now, assuming I end up with this bike, have to shell out the $6K, then add a decent wheel set - one that complements the style of riding that the bike is designed for, which seems a bit ridiculous for a "premium" bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    I will now, assuming I end up with this bike, have to shell out the $6K, then add a decent wheel set - one that complements the style of riding that the bike is designed for, which seems a bit ridiculous for a "premium" bike.
    It's a tough balancing act spec'ing this bike; it's a do-everything kind of ride, which could be built light-and-fast for aggressive XC or heavier and burlier for trail riding. They seem to err toward the former; for example, carbon bars and no dropper on any model. Wheels on the Race build are a bit more on the XC side too. Have you tried building it just the way you want on the Competitive Cyclist builder? It's often pretty close to the "package" price, and if it saves you swapping wheels you could end up saving in the end...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ultimately all these companies are charging what we, their customer base, are willing to pay. Lets all agree to quit buying these overpriced frames, and the prices will quickly fall. But unfortunately there are too many people with lots of disposable income and a chronic habit for new toys. Hopefully, the market will eventually saturate, and then prices will likely fall.

Personally, I'm not willing to pay $3200 for a carbon frame. Instead, I'm riding the same frame in alloy, purchased used in perfect shape, and I paid 1/3 of the carbon price.

The pricing certainly can't be justified by the cost structure. Look at carbon hardtails. You can buy a generic, but pretty well-made, carbon hardtail frame for $400. So we can guess the cost of manufacture is $200 or less. Higher end hardtails might have slightly higher material costs or lay-up costs, but it isn't going to be THAT different. For full suspension, the cost of producing independent front and rear triangles can't be much different; perhaps even lower, since the molds for the front triangles are simpler and the rear swingarm assemblies are a single mold for all sizes of bikes. There is the cost of shock and linkage, and perhaps suspension design license fees, but I don't see how that justifies $3000+ frames.

Quote Originally Posted by dangdang View Post
    Funny thing is, it's starting to drive the price of used bikes up. Which is good and bad, depending on what side of the equation you're on.
    I'm seeing the opposite effect. More alloy frames coming on the market as fickle owners upgrade to carbon. I've seen Giant Anthem X 29 frames for $500, Turner Sultans w/ DW Link for $800, Niner frames for $800, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for all great suggestions,
    I'll wait 6 months to the sales, I believe I'll find something that will suite me, like Devinci, Niner or hopefully Yeti in a reasonable price.
    Dan

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cryde View Post

Ripley-$2899, Jet 9 RDO-$2899, RIP 9 RDO-$2899, Tallboy LTc and Tallboy C-$2899, Pivot 429c-$2899, Intense Spider comp-$2899....

Hmmmm...there seems to be a common theme here!
    Couldn't agree more. Only thing I can think of is they are paying more for their license with Sotto than Ibis and Pivot pay. I can understand why Niner and Santa Cruz can beat them on the price, they own their own patents. For Yeti, Ibis and Pivot, they have to pay royalties for using Switch and DW. My guess as to why Ibis and Pivot come in a little cheaper is that they aren't paying ol' generous Dave Weagle what the Yeti boys are paying Sotto.

Edit: I note that Niner actually recently assigned lots of their Intellectual Property to a very large financial institution. I have no idea what this means for their future, if anything.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've had a go on that Devinci - pretty impressive. Stiff, flickable, taut. Mine had a 140mm fox 34 and felt fine

comes with headset, shock pump, rear axle, oh and lifetime warranty, for 700 ($1200 ish) less than 95 c. Still expensive though

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan***** View Post
    Thanks for all great suggestions,
    I'll wait 6 months to the sales, I believe I'll find something that will suite me, like Devinci, Niner or hopefully Yeti in a reasonable price.
    Dan
    As long as you aren't in a rush, this is the best bet. I bought the 95A at release last year for full price and have since gotten several e-mails from online sellers noting sales of the 95A. Problem for me was that you couldn't convince me to wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Devinci looked good to me also. Unfortunately they aren't making an XL so its a non-option for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    The Devinci looked good to me also. Unfortunately they aren't making an XL so its a non-option for me.
    I think the Devinci is more of an XC bike than a trail bike anyway, no?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tedlove View Post
    I think the Devinci is more of an XC bike than a trail bike anyway, no?
    I agree, a long legged XC bike...the head angle is a bit steep for modern trail bike design.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    I agree, a long legged XC bike...the head angle is a bit steep for modern trail bike design.
    Maybe we're getting caught up in semantics here, but Devinci categorizes it as a trail bike in their website groupings.

Its got a 68.5 degree head angle with a 140mm fork, so its 0.8 degree steeper than an SB95. I wouldn't call that XC. Its consistent with most 29er trail bikes out there. The SB95 is a tad slacker than most. I'll admit the rear suspension is 110 (versus 120-140 on some other trail bikes) so it has its differences, but I still think it makes a credible trail bike.

BTW, the specs on the frame-only on their site must have assumed a short fork. The full bike models show much slacker geo numbers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Maybe we're getting caught up in semantics here, but Devinci categorizes it as a trail bike in their website groupings.

Its got a 68.5 degree head angle with a 140mm fork, so its 0.8 degree steeper than an SB95. I wouldn't call that XC. Its consistent with most 29er trail bikes out there. The SB95 is a tad slacker than most. I'll admit the rear suspension is 110 (versus 120-140 on some other trail bikes) so it has its differences, but I still think it makes a credible trail bike.

BTW, the specs on the frame-only on their site must have assumed a short fork. The full bike models show much slacker geo numbers.
    My bad, I was under the impression that the HA was something 70 degree +. If it is 68.5, I'd agree with you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Your impression wasn't wrong; just tied to a specific model. Devinci is spec'ing some models with 100mm forks and some with 140mm forks, which is sort of odd. The HA is 70.6 with a Fox 32 100mm.

Anyway, nice bike, not an SB95 but certainly worthy of consideration, a good example of someone not charging an arm and a leg for carbon.

mtbr member
    Sometimes I lament about having just built up a $4000-ish ASR-5. Who spends $4000 on a later model alloy framed, single-pivot suspension bike these days?

But then I get about 2 minutes into a ride and realize it's the best $4000 I ever spent.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I hear what people are saying and agree the top end Carbon frames are very expensive.
    However in the UK the price of a Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc frame is the same as the SB95 @ 2600.

The 95c does seem to roughly align price wise with the ARC Carbon hardtail when you factor in the linkage/shock and bearing costs which at RRP is about 600ish. No it doesn't align with the cheaper end of the market.. but ultimately it's a Yeti and worth the premium imo.

Personally I think the higher cost is simply to allow for Yeti to support it's customers well without bankrupting itself. So the larger cost is supporting the fantastic service you get from them if you break the frame etc.. either by Crash Replacement or no quibble warranty replacement.
    Carbon despite all it's advantages is IMO more prone to damage and therefore a higher support cost to Yeti. Hence why I think they reduced their 5 year warranty to 2 years possibly due to the higher probability of carbon failures? (yes their Al bikes have dropped to 2 years also but they are moving heavily into Carbon as their main manufacturing material, would look bad if the Al bikes had a longer warranty period would it not?).

Simply put your paying for a Yeti and their excellent customer service & nothing in life is truly free :P