Bikes!

SB95c 142mm axle options?

Hi

I'm patiently (or not!) waiting for my delivery of my SB95c however I realise that they don't come with the actual axles so I'm wondering which one works best out of:

Rock Shox Maxle

DT Swiss RWS

or Shimano (Fox)

Which do you guys run? I'd probably favour the Maxle if it is compatible?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    if the chipset is the same as my asr 5, you'll need to get a shimano type axle (the one with the nut on the end).

I know this because I bought a DT Swiss axle only to find out it's the direct bolt in type which the chipset does not support, delaying my build for several days.

I got the AX 65 shimano axle and it works great.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'm PRETTY SURE that Yeti standardized on the Shimano axle.

EDR

Re: SB95c 142mm axle options?

Read the write up on pink bike regarding 142 millimeter axles before dropping a bunch of cash on the setup.

It has its pros, but maybe not what you are looking for.

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/12x142-explained.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post

It has its pros, but maybe not what you are looking for.

12 mm x 142 mm Axle Standard Explained - Pinkbike

That write up is 3 years old, the only downside to 12/142 is that every wheel ever made isn't compatible, which was valid 3 years ago, but it's been so widely adopted I don't see that as much of an issue anymore. Many hubs are convertible, and if I was buying a new rear hub today, I wouldn't get one that doesn't support 142 - you aren't going to see an increase in the number of qr-only frames in the future.

For my money 12/142 is all positive. It's not night and day in terms of stiffness over a qr, but it is better, and it's a lot easier/faster to get the wheel in than a 12/135, and it's in such widespread use that parts availability isn't an issue (at least not in terms of parts you'd put on a $3k+ frame).

Bikes!

SB95c 142mm axle options?

Thanks guys so am I correct in saying that this is the can't part I'll need and that the Yeti will come with the chips?

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p61975/Shi...or-E-Thru.aspx
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

EDR

Re: SB95c 142mm axle options?

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    That write up is 3 years old, the only downside to 12/142 is that every wheel ever made isn't compatible, which was valid 3 years ago, but it's been so widely adopted I don't see that as much of an issue anymore. Many hubs are convertible, and if I was buying a new rear hub today, I wouldn't get one that doesn't support 142 - you aren't going to see an increase in the number of qr-only frames in the future.

For my money 12/142 is all positive. It's not night and day in terms of stiffness over a qr, but it is better, and it's a lot easier/faster to get the wheel in than a 12/135, and it's in such widespread use that parts availability isn't an issue (at least not in terms of parts you'd put on a $3k+ frame).
    No they're not a lot of drawbacks to 142 millimeter set up. The point of the article is that it provides no increase in stiffness over a 10 millimeter thru axle. Which is much much much cheaper. Do what you like.

As far as it being easier to get the rear wheel off.... Whatever floats your boat and pulls the duckets out of your pocket I suppose. Again that's a personal preference. If you want to spend 50 or 75 bucks to make it easier to take off your rear wheel once a month then that's ok. I have a 10 millimeter thru bolt, it takes me almost 10 seconds to take off my rear wheel off and cost me $12.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yep, i have the same axle on my asr 5 and it works fine. The chipsets aren't any different between the sb and my asr.

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by dropspace View Post
    yep, i have the same axle on my asr 5 and it works fine. The chipsets aren't any different between the sb and my asr.
    Thanks dropspace

mtbr member
    The carbon SB's don't use dropout chips, they are dedicated 12x142 and use the Shimano axle. You just need to verify with Yeti whether the axle is included and if not pick one up.

mtbr member
    This is the one they'll most likely send with the bike:

Shimano 12x142mm Axle
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecwashere7 View Post
    This is the one they'll most likely send with the bike:

Shimano 12x142mm Axle
    This is the one that came with my SB66c back in May so I assume you will get the same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    wow, $80 for an axle that can be bought for under $30. I think that's even over MSRP.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My SB95c frame came with the Shimano axle. Actually the only thing I don't like about the bike is the Shimano axle. I really wish it was a Maxle/DT Swiss style dropout.

mtbr member
    Do you have a detail pic of this EDR? I wanna change my sb95 from 135qr to 10mm, but not sure how. thx!

\
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    No they're not a lot of drawbacks to 142 millimeter set up. The point of the article is that it provides no increase in stiffness over a 10 millimeter thru axle. Which is much much much cheaper. Do what you like.

As far as it being easier to get the rear wheel off.... Whatever floats your boat and pulls the duckets out of your pocket I suppose. Again that's a personal preference. If you want to spend 50 or 75 bucks to make it easier to take off your rear wheel once a month then that's ok. I have a 10 millimeter thru bolt, it takes me almost 10 seconds to take off my rear wheel off and cost me $12.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    Do you have a detail pic of this EDR? I wanna change my sb95 from 135qr to 10mm, but not sure how. thx!
    For the 10mm thru you still need a compatible hub. The DT350 that came with can be converted to 10x135 using the DT 240s end caps though. King hubs also support 10x135 with a replacement axle. Some others do as well, but it's not a widely supported as 142x12 I think, at this point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    My SB95c frame came with the Shimano axle. Actually the only thing I don't like about the bike is the Shimano axle. I really wish it was a Maxle/DT Swiss style dropout.
    What is it about the Shimano axle that you don't like? Both the Maxle and RWS have a tendency to loosen up frequently while the Shimano never does/can't because of the design.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For me I find that the initial setup can be tedious vs. a Maxle where you tighten it and forget it. I haven't had any significant loosening issues, but if I had I would probably prefer the Shimano for the reason stated above. I feel the same way about Fox forks that use Shimano axles vs. others that use Maxle so it's not a Yeti thing