Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

SB95c - 120 or 140?

I'm about to order my 95c and am trying make a few final decisions.

Since the most recent upgrades/changes to the line, Yeti is now shipping all 95c's with a 120mm fork and all 95a's with a 140 mm fork. I had my rep ask if they can spec my 95c with the 140 and they can - so I just need to decide.

Should I go with 120 or 140? I'm coming off a 100 mm HT Niner so either way it will be more travel. For those with the fork at 120 - do you wish you had more? For those with the fork a 140 - is it too much? Squirmy on the climbs? Does the front end feel too tall?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well , as we all know everybody is different...............my 95C at 120 worked great for trail riding . ( it is a trail bike )

The problem for me was that where I ride there is a lot of big rock ledges and rock climbs and nasty hacky DH crap .

I am always pulling the ft of the bike up to get onto a rock or pedal kick up on a ledge or manuel the ft up when descending into a big shale edge or something , and I found the lower heavier front end made it hard for me to do this ......( My XL chassis has a heavier ft end because of longer wheel base and I am tall and weight the ft end also which does not help )

So I have tried 120 , 130 , 145 , and now 150 , ( the Fox 34 can be adjusted to all the positions ) I found for me that the 150 works really well it got the bars and ft end up which fit me way better and took weight of the ft and freed the maneuvering of the bike up for me.

I actually have the 160 air spring assembly ordered for my Pike because I want to try alittle more and see how it feels . ( a squeak more BB height would be nice for me )

So we are all different and have different needs .

I would encourage you to try it at 120 to see if you like it for your area , but I truly feel you will like 140 better , it is easy to change the travel either way , just make sure that if you have Yeti set it to 140 make sure thay send you the spare spacer so you can set it back to 120 if you choose !

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    I'm about to order my 95c and am trying make a few final decisions.

Should I go with 120 or 140? I'm coming off a 100 mm HT Niner so either way it will be more travel. For those with the fork at 120 - do you wish you had more? For those with the fork a 140 - is it too much? Squirmy on the climbs? Does the front end feel too tall?
    My 95c is still at 120. There are times I'd like a bit more travel and a bit more bottom bracket clearance but I'm pretty happy with how the front end steers and I still need to do some tweaking (or Pushing or "Pike-ing", lol) to get full travel out of my fork, so I'll be getting more travel regardless.

I have bad knees and feel better if I slide my saddle all the way back in the rails so my front end does feel a bit light already at 120. I probably should be on a large due to this but that's another story. As it stands now I feel better off with my medium at 120.

If I'm reading the previous poster correctly, if you get the fork at 120 you know you'll have the travel spacer as it will be installed. If you order it at 140 it may or may not get misplaced. I guess I'd say keep it at 120 and know you're sure you can go back and forth.

My fork is the 2014 version. It was very low on oil out of the box and the fork quickly became very sticky just as it was getting broke in. I'd recommend having the fork checked out closely the day the bike is assembled so you could always pop the spacer out then and ride it through the break in period at 140.
    Last edited by CJH; 11-20-2013 at 04:16 PM.

mtbr member
    I guess I was of the understanding the the travel adjustment for the newer version of the 34mm forks was not as simple as a spacer swap and involved changing the air spring assembly. Can anyone comment?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I guess I was of the understanding the the travel adjustment for the newer version of the 34mm forks was not as simple as a spacer swap and involved changing the air spring assembly. Can anyone comment?
    Word on the street is that for '12 and '13 Fox had spec'd the 140 fork with 120 travel, which resulted in the previous gen air spring side, which was simple spacer controllable.

The modern '13 and later air spring IS travel adjustable, just differently. Search for the video put up by 'kelstr' as he shows in depth doing exactly the work of changing the travel on the modern air spring. He has lots of other good info on that video too.

mtbr member

SB95c - 120 or 140?

Thanks Bear. I've seen (some of) the video and think I understand. I guess what I need to know is - which is easier? Going from 120 to 140 or vice versa?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks Bear. I've seen (some of) the video and think I understand. I guess what I need to know is - which is easier? Going from 120 to 140 or vice versa?
    Its really easy with the "Yeti Spec Fox 34" , the Yeti fork still uses the older air spring side ( which I actually ended up liking better ) and you just pop the spacer off for 140, or leave it on for 120 .

Thats why it may be better to get the fork set up at 120 so that way you know you have your spacer in the fork and it won't get lost , and you can go either way with it

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    You can also get a 10mm spacer modestly easily to use the in-between 130mm setting. I got one from JensonUSA.

Industrious people could make one from a nylon spacer from the hardware store, but between it being really cheap and having the right mating surfaces I went with store-bought.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    You can also get a 10mm spacer modestly easily to use the in-between 130mm setting. I got one from JensonUSA.

Industrious people could make one from a nylon spacer from the hardware store, but between it being really cheap and having the right mating surfaces I went with store-bought.
    You are so correct , the older air spring side is so easily versatile a guy can easily make the fork what ever travel he wants between 100 and 150 rather easily , and I gotta say the 95 at 120 or 130 is absolutely a rocket ship , If I lived some where normal and had all that cool single track I would have my bike at 120 or 130 , it really is just stupid fast right there in that range and just hooks turns so well , the thing is such a nice bike .

mtbr member

SB95c - 120 or 140?

But if I order a new bike, I get the "new" version of the fork, regardless of travel? I'm confused. Why do I care about the old version if the bike isn't spec'd with it?

Not trying to be a d, I'm genuinely confused.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    But if I order a new bike, I get the "new" version of the fork, regardless of travel? I'm confused. Why do I care about the old version if the bike isn't spec'd with it?

Not trying to be a d, I'm genuinely confused.
    You will get the newest release of the 34 as far as valving and it will be the F.I.T and not the O/B damper assembly , you will also get the "Trail" adjust on your CTD adjuster, and all the 34 Fox 29er fork's are all 51 mm offset ...........but , the" Yeti Spec Fork" / or should I say Yeti specs their Fox 34 fork with the older air spring side .

One of the reasons Yeti does this , is because the newer ( late 11 and up ) Fox shuttle bumper air spring side will not adjust down to 120 , ...( well it will but its not real simple ).....so if you have a Fox 34 29er fork and it is adjustable down to 120 ......you have the older air spring side that uses the snap on spacer that Fox has used since Christ was a small child .

Now I believe Yeti is spec-ing the 95A with the 140 fork , I would assume Yeti is still using the older air spring side and just had Fox remove the spacer , ( knowing some customers will run the 95A at 120 they have to use the older air spring )

I still believe the 95C is coming standard at 120 , So you know that 34 still has the good old easily adjustable air spring side
    Last edited by kelstr; 11-21-2013 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Does anyone know if RockShox sells the 120mm air spring assembly that they use on the Specialized Camber EVO and I thought another OEM was using the 120 Pike on one of their trail bikes. Thought it was Trek/Giant, but can't seem to find the model...

I guess I could have bought a 150/120 Dual Position, but would like to try both 120/140 and stick with one or the other. Plus a bit a weight savings in the Solo Air vs. Dual Position
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post
    Does anyone know if RockShox sells the 120mm air spring assembly that they use on the Specialized Camber EVO and I thought another OEM was using the 120 Pike on one of their trail bikes. Thought it was Trek/Giant, but can't seem to find the model...

I guess I could have bought a 150/120 Dual Position, but would like to try both 120/140 and stick with one or the other. Plus a bit a weight savings in the Solo Air vs. Dual Position
    RS has all the parts broken down on the Sram Site for the new Pike , they show all the different travel sizes and all the different forks i.e ( 26 27 29 chassis and all the DPA stuff also).
    They show the 29er 120 travel solo air assembly for the Pike .

So it is available , and I also would stick with the solo air

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Alright, last time I was on the website they did not have those manuals available.

I will be picking up one of the Pike 120 airshafts to test, I really don't need 140mm where I currently live and am hoping the 120 will balance the bike out, not that it needs it...

If anyone is wondering the 120 Airspring SRAM PN is: 11.4018.026.003

Has anyone done the conversion, I hear the 120 Air Springs are available, but my local dealers are worthless...anyone have a good source that I can get this ordered up?
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Dan, if the 140 pike has the same geometry as the 150 I would expect the axle to crown to correspond to the Fox at 130 .... Which I ran on my bike through the fall and it was, like K stated, rocket like.

IIRC you are down in FL now ... I got a chance to ride Santos trails last summer and had no complaints with my fork at 140 .... Have a blast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Ordered bike yesterday with a 140 fork. Should be on it by Christmas according to my guy...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ordered bike yesterday with a 140 fork. Should be on it by Christmas according to my guy...
    Good deal, mine will be here Monday.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Anybody have any update on this for the 2014 SB95c? I have one on order in the 120mm spec, but did that because I thought I was going to be able to potentially modify to 130 or 140 mm if I wanted to.....but now I am second guessing that. Would be bummed if the air spring chamber would have to be tinkered with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You would have to tinker with it no matter what if you want anything different than the OE 120mm. If you stick with the 120mm but end up wanting to go to 140, just call Fox to order the 140mm air spring cartridge. From what Fox told me, Fox makes these forks special for Yeti as the 120 to 140 conversions are not normal. The fork starts out as a 140, and Fox does their thing to make them the Yeti-desired 120.

I called them a couple weeks ago about this (I have a '13) - the latest air spring cartridge is now only in two separate options - a 120mm, or a 140mm that can be adjusted down to 130mm, but no more 120 to 140.
    Rokworth.com | Parts, Product Reviews & Tests

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    You would have to tinker with it no matter what if you want anything different than the OE 120mm. If you stick with the 120mm but end up wanting to go to 140, just call Fox to order the 140mm air spring cartridge. From what Fox told me, Fox makes these forks special for Yeti as the 120 to 140 conversions are not normal. The fork starts out as a 140, and Fox does their thing to make them the Yeti-desired 120.

I called them a couple weeks ago about this (I have a '13) - the latest air spring cartridge is now only in two separate options - a 120mm, or a 140mm that can be adjusted down to 130mm, but no more 120 to 140.
    Thanks for that.....do you know how much it costs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyNW View Post
    Thanks for that.....do you know how much it costs?
    Welcome. $50 for the 14 air spring kit.
    Rokworth.com | Parts, Product Reviews & Tests

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Welcome. $50 for the 14 air spring kit.
    Awesome. Thanks for that. That is not much to get the travel you want.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    FWIW I have a 150 pike on my 95C. Only one ride so far. It felt quite balanced, climbed the steep's well, and for where I ride it is just awesome.
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    For what it's worth, I have a Fox Float 34 on mine set at 140mm and so far I've been loving it. It makes the bike a ton more fun and I don't really feel much of a climbing penalty. This bike actually blows my mind set up this way. So much fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast