mtbr member

SB95a - Creak.. help..

My SP95a seems to make a clicking sound. I notice it alot when climbing and pedaling. click..click.. click.. I can reproduce the sound by standing next to the frame and pushing down on the top tube, you can hear the click. It sounds like it's coming from the front part of the frame. I hope it's not a crack somewhere. I tried getting used it but it bugs the heck out of me.. and frankly, it's not a $500 walmart bike. The headset has been re-greased, BB, chipset and the suspension. It's not the seat post. Help... any ideas on other things to check or suggestions ?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    shock mounts / hardware ? pivot bolts ? fork stantion/crown?

does it happen with or without brakes grabbed? If brakes are clamped then could be at the caliper or pads to rotors or rotor bolts.

does it mute if you rinse the frame with water?

my 1st guess would be dirt worked in to one of the pivots, honestly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    shock mounts / hardware ? pivot bolts ? fork stantion/crown?

does it happen with or without brakes grabbed? If brakes are clamped then could be at the caliper or pads to rotors or rotor bolts.

does it mute if you rinse the frame with water?

my 1st guess would be dirt worked in to one of the pivots, honestly.
    Thanks for the suggestions. It happens with or without the brakes. It might be the pivot but the sound appears to be coming from the front part of the frame.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    with bike frames these days it's very hard to take anything from a perceived direction of the sound, they echo around so much.

good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've done some creak chasing on both a SB95 and SB95C and have discovered that a couple of places that can cause loud creaks in the situations you described. First, check and lube the small screws/bolts that attach the derailleur hanger to the frame.

Another spot that creaks is the collet axles. Remove the collet bolts, then remove and lube the collet axles, then retighten. On both my bikes the collet axles were loose with no lube. A little lube and tightening and my bikes were quiet.

mtbr member
    If it's a fox fork check the crown/ stantions. My fox 34 is clicking. Need to send it back to fox for replacement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tyberius_77 View Post
    Another spot that creaks is the collet axles. Remove the collet bolts, then remove and lube the collet axles, then retighten. On both my bikes the collet axles were loose with no lube. A little lube and tightening and my bikes were quiet.
    ^^^This worked for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbcol7 View Post
    If it's a fox fork check the crown/ stantions. My fox 34 is clicking. Need to send it back to fox for replacement.
    This would be my guess.

mtbr member
    On my SB66c it was the lower headset cup that was making all of the noise. I had greased it before I installed it but that lasted for about 2 months. I found it by holding the front brake and making the bike to a front wheelie. When I did this I would get the sound.

I pulled the headset out and filled it with anti-seize and the noise went away.

Of course it was after I had pulled the enter rest of the bike apart and lubed it before I found it

mtbr member
    I was getting the clicking sound when pushing down on the bars, too. I found it to be happening most after a day of riding in wet/muddy conditions and the sound would continue. After many days of chasing down the source, I identified the sound was coming from the headtube. It ends up that dirt had been working its way in through the race and the lower cup. My LBS tried replacing the headset with another CC 40. It still happens. He told me that I should drop the fork and clean out the headtube each time the clicking sound surfaces.

I gotta say this is frustrating. Is it something that needs to be fixed with the fork? Would a different headset make a difference? I'd like to think that we can come up with a solution rather a means of coping with it.
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    If/when mine starts again I'm going to pop the lower race out and use latex caulk or shoe goo to seal the between the cup and head tube. In my mind either of these items are flexible and weak enough that the cup can still be removed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyberius_77 View Post
    I've done some creak chasing on both a SB95 and SB95C and have discovered that a couple of places that can cause loud creaks in the situations you described. First, check and lube the small screws/bolts that attach the derailleur hanger to the frame.

This and seat post. I have to regrease my post way too often and always after a wash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbcol7 View Post
    That's what it is.. Getting sent back to Fox.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the detailed responses. Appreciate it. My LBS switched forks with another SB95 and the noise disappeared. They also called fox and the fork is being sent back. It also seems to happen on the SB66. So for those of you that have this Fox 34, keep a look out...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My fork just started making the clicking noise too. Anyone know how long it takes before you get the fork back from fox? And how do you know it won't happen again fatter you get it back??

mtbr member
    Takes about 4-5 days once they get it. You don't know it won't happen again. Several folks have had to send their forks back a couple of times. I had a long discussion with the service manager at Fox last week and they are working hard on a solution. It was interesting hearing what they feel is contributing to it. Mine is there right now being fixed.

mtbr member
    My LBS told me about two weeks turnaround (CO to CA). They can keep it as long as they want.. as long as it's fixed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have had this on my Fox forks in the past and it was a small crack in the steer tube/crown interface. I recently had this on my SB with a 36 but I remedied the click by pulling the fork and reassembling the headset and stem and I has gone away.

mtbr member

SB95a - Creak.. help..

I hear the same thing on my SB66c when climbing. Definitely annoying but may have to try some of these out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiketodd View Post
    If/when mine starts again I'm going to pop the lower race out and use latex caulk or shoe goo to seal the between the cup and head tube. In my mind either of these items are flexible and weak enough that the cup can still be removed.
    It started again on mine in Nov so I pulled the lower cup out, cleaned, shoe goo'ed the cup in and it has not made a sound since.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridetheridge View Post
    Thanks everyone for the detailed responses. Appreciate it. My LBS switched forks with another SB95 and the noise disappeared. They also called fox and the fork is being sent back. It also seems to happen on the SB66. So for those of you that have this Fox 34, keep a look out...
    What model fox fork? Did it have the FIT damper?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by giantdefy View Post
    What model fox fork? Did it have the FIT damper?
    2013 Fox 34 120 . I'm not sure if it had/has the FIT damper. I did get the fork back and the noise is gone.. so far. I must say riding the bike now that it is creak free is very, very nice.
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com