Thread: SB95 Wheelsets

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

SB95 Wheelsets

My new hubs have been ordered and I'm thinking about what direction to go with my wheel build. Me: 200lb. XC/Trail rider on an SB95a

I've been reading through old posts about this topic and am curious as to what you guys are riding now. Have you made any changes or would you do anything different?

Thanks!

Long live the ASR-7
    What hubs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba View Post
    What hubs?
    Merry Christmas to me - Chris King turquoise hubs

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Flow EX imho

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I have "old school" Flow and they've been great. Depending on your trails and riding the Arch Ex may also work well, Flow Ex may be overkill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm on the Flow EX rims on DT hubs. They've been really great. Really can't complain at all about them.

These Nox Composites sound pretty interesting as a good value carbon rim, but I don't have any experience with them.
    Nox Composites

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    <-- 215lbs

Arch EX - would I change, No.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I have several friends that really like the Chinese carbon rims. They had them built by hand by an LBS. One of these guys is 270 lbs. and drops off things that he shouldn't with his Rocky 29er. The wheels are pretty solid.
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've been on a SB95c since May now and promptly bent the stock DTSwiss hoops on the XT/Race build so I re-laced some Stan's Arch in their place. Definitely an upgrade over the DTSwiss but then in September my Enve AM's with CK's finally arrived and it's very hard to describe the amount of difference in handling from wheels alone. I find myself now drifting through turns and the wheels are just confidence inspiring in all situations. I feel some harsh trail trash just a tad more with the stiffer wheelset, but I wouldn't trade the Enve for anything else, I'm still not sure on the Chris King's over the DTSwiss 240 hubs as I've already had to adjust bearing pre-load at less then 150 miles but it's easy enough to do without any special tools. Now the problem is do I get a fancy wheelset for the ARCc because knowing what the result is can be tormenting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    I just recently noticed that my 95's wheels are only 18mm wide. My previous 26r had 22s; the difference sounds minimal but a 2.4 Ardent looks a lot different on the 22mm rim. Why does the 95 come OEM with narrow rims? Seems to make sense to me to have the wider setting to allow for a bigger footprint. But maybe that's what they're trying to avoid?

mtbr member
    FWIW, the newer SB's are shipping with wider DT rims (same as those spec'd on the Spline wheel sets - 26 mm OD/23 mm ID and fairly stout).

On the topic of Arch vs. Flow - the weights are fairly comparable, no? Why go with a narrower rim if the weight difference is negligible? Seems this bike screams for a wider rim (at least mine does!!).

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    "some dude" - that's normal for CK hubs, they settle in a little from-new, and it's expected. Just keep an eye on it and snug it up if you detect slop in either hub. It'll stop shortly once the hubs and axles have fully seated. Take care of them and they'll serve you well. I've one pair of CK hubs since 2001 that are still going strong with nary an issue.