mtbr member
    Oct 2005

SB95 in Turquoise

Birthday present arrived a month early...

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    congrats!

Trail Ninja
    Happy B-Day!

New SB-95 color, eh? Does it come in lime too?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Wink

Oh dang! That's it mind made up just got build my wallet up now!

Sic color!

Who has that color in stock? Did they make any changes for 2013? Ability to run wider wheels?

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Did they make any changes for 2013?
    Higher price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Oh dang! That's it mind made up just got build my wallet up now!

Sic color!

Who has that color in stock? Did they make any changes for 2013? Ability to run wider wheels?
    I ordered the frame from Jenson who said it was on back order for a 3+ weeks and I was ok with it, then the next day I got a shipping notice that it would be here in 4 days. I'm guessing I got one of the 1st one's

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Are those new handlebars??? They are really turned in! I would think that would put stress on elbows and shoulders. Did you order that handlebar or is that stock now? Congrats!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadder View Post
    Are those new handlebars??? They are really turned in! I would think that would put stress on elbows and shoulders. Did you order that handlebar or is that stock now? Congrats!!!

I bought just the frame and built it.

The bars are On One Mary's and I have them on all of my bikes...

and they are cheap enough to try... They look a little weird but are much easier on my wrists.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Lucky [/Napoleon]

Serenity now!
    Sexxy!
    Duchess of Dab

Single Speed Junkie
    First time seeing the SB95 in Turquoise. Looks great.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Higher price.
    The frame is the same price it was in 2012 - $2250.

FYI,

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice

mtbr member
    That is nice. Now offer it in Lime too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Looks darn good!

Personally I'm curious which DT Swiss rims you went with? They look like X470's at a glance but it's kinda hard to read the decal. Either way what has been your ride impressions on the DTS rims you selected?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by icelt View Post
    Looks darn good!

Personally I'm curious which DT Swiss rims you went with? They look like X470's at a glance but it's kinda hard to read the decal. Either way what has been your ride impressions on the DTS rims you selected?
    They are the stock wheels from my Big Top; DT XR400's with DT 350 hubs. I did upgrade the rear hub to the 36 point engagement and converted it to 12X142.

For now, I'm sharing the wheels between the 2 bikes. In the future I'll have a set of DT 350's with Stan's Flow EX's built up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ahhh they are the XR400's. Yeah I think you'll be much happier in the long run rolling with Flow EX's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    jealous of that turquoise...boring black for me

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonbrewer View Post
    jealous of that turquoise...boring black for me
    Like the turquoise a lot, but I still really, really love the black. The older I get, the more bikes in my quiver are going Johnny Cash.
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by icelt View Post
    Ahhh they are the XR400's. Yeah I think you'll be much happier in the long run rolling with Flow EX's.
    I was wrong, they are XR470's

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Everyone is always hating on the 400s! I'd like to think that I ride with a lot of technique (more realistically, I'm cautious and suffer from frequent flair-ups of Wuss-itis), but the 400s have treated me really well. I've got a ton of miles on them, and they're still round, true, and ding-free. I ride them with my tires at 30 PSI, so it's not like I'm blowing 'em up rock hard, either.
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Oregon, I think the minor factor you mentioned elsewhere is also a factor - rider weight. I think you stated you're sub-170, i'm around 200, and while I'll be the first to say I'm probably not THE lightest-riding rider in the world I can't be THAT horrible if I haven't had a problem with the wheels on my hard-tail 29er in 2.5 years and counting.

I don't hit some stuff quite as fast on the HT compared to the Yeti, but that's a safety thing combined with "geeze this is fun at speed" thing.

The HT has 32-spoke wheels with King hubs and Flow rims.

Trail Ninja
    My ride style differs quite a bit between HT and FS. It's like the story about the tortoise (SB95) and the hare (HT). I crash often on the HT, but it's so fast and responsive that it loves to sprint ahead when there's an open path, while I have only crashed officially once on the SB95.

I wouldn't use the same wheelset for both. I currently prefer a stiffer wheel for the HT (currently I9 Enduro, which have Flow rims). I think the lateral give in the stock SB95 rims helped with handling in the fast, tight, and twisty sections, making you *feel* fast. That "wind-up" kind of gives you an indication that you are really pushing it, and it doesn't seem to be a negative thing, at least under my 145 lbs or so. Can't say that I rode my fav fast, tight, and twist section of a local trail any faster with my blingy carbon wheels, over the SB95 with stock wheels. The stock wheels, with the DT hubs, definitely felt like they rolled faster than my blingy carbon wheels with CK hubs. I think I could've lived with the stock rims at my weight, with them on the SB95, but not my on HT. I got no reason to "belittle" what the guys, who are putting more force on their rims, say about the rims; just them saying that they are heavier riders makes me understand, since I ride with big guys who break a lot of stuff. On the flipside, they can't believe how hard I can ride lightweight stuff without breaking it.

Wow, this post kind of came out as if I was bragging about myself... just wanted to say that the XR400s work fine for some people. You just got to understand the context behind the opinions, before you take them to heart, as they're subjective. Reminds me of how people were freaking out when they see DT's EX1750 on DH bikes, saying that the rims were soft and they didn't expect them to hold up, and were speculating and saying ridiculous things like the pros (ex. Sam Hill) chose to ride them since they get new wheels after every run.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 01-23-2013 at 05:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jmhix View Post
    I was wrong, they are XR470's
    Ok that makes more sense now as although I couldn't quite read the sticker it sure looked like the color pattern matched the 470's closer than the 400's.

@varaxis - indeed context is very important in a high variable sport/activity such as mountain/off road biking.

Additional context for my situation includes that the bike I owned prior to my new Yeti BT was a 2004 Cannondale F600. Great bike in many ways, loved the fact the frame was actually hand welded in the USA. Also a bike I still own and that has hundreds of more miles on it, across all the exact same North Central Texas trails, than the Yeti. I literally just checked the bone stock rims on the F600 and all these years later they still do not have single hop when rotated much less any flat spots or compression dents.

Now understandably that is a 26" wheel, so the smaller diameter is not like for like. However it was also made with a decade older wheel mfr'ing technology and the bike itself all told weighs a full 5 lbs more than the BT. Soooo that is my comparative experience.

Same rider, and actually a better rider now, same trials and the stock Mavic rims on the older and cheaper F600 had zero problems whereas the newer and much more expensive Yeti shod with the XR400's experienced several issues after less than 200 miles. Issues that still occurred after I had taken the precautionary measure to keep the tires at 35psi or higher.

Shortly I will receive a factory rebuilt wheel by DT Swiss with their admittedly more robust XM 490 rim. Then I'll ride her just as I did before, along the exact same trails as before and we'll see how it goes. Personally I believe the stronger rim will make all the difference in the world, but the proof will be in the pudding as they say.