mtbr member
    Jul 2009

SB95 Switch movement all one way?

Hi all im posting this for a friend.

He has just purchased an SB95 and he has noticed that the pivot movement only goes one way and it only rotates slightly unlike another friends SB66a.

He started looking into this because the rear tyre is rubbing the paint off the seat tube.

The frame is size Medium and rear tyre is Racing ralph 2.25.

Is this normal?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Some people have reported tire rub on the sb95, I have experienced it lightly on mine too (size large), but only when running downhill-type trails (as in lift-assisted DH trails, not just going downhill).

I don't know the answer about the Switch direction. I'd be a little surprised if it didn't obey the rules that Yeti has put out about the bike, and likley someone would have fingered that misbehavior by this time - I feel.

I'm in the middle of my mid-winter bike rebuild, maybe I'll remember this thread later this week when I work on the bike next and pull the shock and see what the Switch is doing as it moves through the range.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Pretty easy to check and see if installed correctly. I guess the shop could have balled up the assembly.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post
    Pretty easy to check and see if installed correctly. I guess the shop could have balled up the assembly.
    disconnect the shock and cycle the suspension. it will be obvious if it is not cycling correctly

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    He took all the air out f the shock and cycled the rear travel and like I say is only moves one way and very little.

For me it just acting like a single pivot frame!

Thanks

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    The only way I can see the Switch being assembled incorrectly would require the OMISSION of the stop-bolt that screws in the back side just above the BB ... if that's not installed there is no limit on the rotation of the Switch at all (it mates to a machined 'gully' inside on the blue ano bits).

Conversely, if the Switch is rotated in a "wrong" position it is impossible to install that bolt.

You can see very clearly where the bolt screws in with the following picture which does not have the bolt installed yet - click for big version of the image.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    ^^^ My thought exactly- if shop failed to install the bolt, things would not work correctly.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    OP: Have your buddy also check the orientation of the Switch compared to the pix on the Yeti www

Yeti Cycles / Home

The 4th picture down shows a good close pic of the drive-side w/o chainrings/derailleur in the way. note the orientation of the Switch and the (small-ish) gap from the bottom-bracket shell to the rear triangle. The gap from the non-drive-side bottom bracket shell to the rear triangle is even smaller.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi Guys, just got my first Yeti SB-95, and had the same concern as the OP. My switch was definitely stiff and neglected.

I can only get about half an inch movement up and down. Is that how it's supposed to be? or, should that sucker move at least 50% up and down?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I will say that the switch does move differently on the 95 compared to the 66.

The 66 is more apparent when it changes direction , the 95 is alittle less so .

I have a movie clip of the movement on my 95 if you want to see it ?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Something about this Yeti has me all excited, so I just want to make sure it's all working correctly. The movie would be great -- do you have a link? thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iflirtwithdirt View Post
    Something about this Yeti has me all excited, so I just want to make sure it's all working correctly. The movie would be great -- do you have a link? thanks!
    You will love the dam thing , Im am not a 29er guy, but this Yeti is soooo goood that I do not ride anything else .

Here is the movement after I lubed it all up from being new

New Project 4 from kelstr on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for sharing, that helps to put me at ease. It doesn't move as much as I thought it would -- I guess I was thrown off by the sb66, and their explanation of how it works. Mine has about the same movement.

Afraid to water wash my bike after watching your other 95c maintenance video! o.O

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iflirtwithdirt View Post
    Thanks for sharing, that helps to put me at ease. It doesn't move as much as I thought it would -- I guess I was thrown off by the sb66, and their explanation of how it works. Mine has about the same movement.

Afraid to water wash my bike after watching your other 95c maintenance video!
    o.O
    I really hate water , water washing a bike will kill all your pivots and bearings in just several months , where you can get 6 years out of a good set of bearings and save all that wear and tear on your bike .

The only way i will water wash my bike is I to tear it completely down and air dry and re grease everything after washing it when I have to wash it .

Sucks I know , but water will kill anything you wash

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm wondering why the movement in the SB95 switch is less apparent than in the SB66? Anyone?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by recipher View Post
    I'm wondering why the movement in the SB95 switch is less apparent than in the SB66? Anyone?
    Less travel, less movement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It's 127mm travel vs 150mm travel, so about 16% less travel.

However, the initial - downwards - movement is imperceptible, and then the upwards movement isn't much at all. Compare that video above to the movement on the SB66:

Yeti SB-66 suspension cycling #1 Video - Pinkbike

Where the downwards movement is pronounced, and the upwards movement is similar (not too much).

My concern is why there doesn't appear to be any downwards movement of the switch pivot on the 95. What's the point, otherwise? It's just an expensive, complicated single pivot.

Unless I'm missing something?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    It's definitely not a single pivot because the Switch definitely moves forward AND the concentric pivot has rotation there also.

I don't think comparing wheel travel is a fair comparison, even % wise, as the geometry/motion are different between the two bikes - the sb95 isn't just a travel reduced version with frame members sized up for the 29er wheels.

The shock stroke is different and the curves are different (anti-squat, leverage, forces, pedal kickback) - at least according to everything I've read about both bikes to date.

Related, sure, but different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cool. Thanks.

mtbr member

SB95 Switch movement all one way?

Off topic: Bear, do you have your own Logo?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Off topic: Bear, do you have your own Logo?
    I adopted a glyph used by American Indians that I encountered in saguaro national park. I have for much of my life had the nick name, but it actually became very strongly associated when I lived west of the Mississippi. So, the Indian philosophies sort of became linked. More than less at least.

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/nativ...r-meaning.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4