Spring! Spring! Spring!

SB95 sizing advice

I'm soooo very interested in moving to a SB95, patiently waiting for production as I have to put aside the $$ anyway.

But, size is a factor - I have no truly local shop that carries Yeti (closest one I know of is ~ 2 hrs away, in State College PA).

So, I ask the simple question: What would be the suggested frame size for me?

info:

I'm 5' 9" (ish), 32" inseam.

My current 29er is a Niner MCR-9 size M ( 23.9" TT, 16.5" ST, using 90mm stem with MonkeyLite XC low-rise bars ), with a RS Reba XX fork at 100mm stroke. I use this bike for most everything short of DH/FR, but I do so much get tired of the harsh beating on the rocks when riding for more than 2-3 hours (my NE PA home-area does not feature a bunch of buff trail that is not rail-2-trail).

From the geo charts I've seen, I feel like i'm between a L with a shorter stem or a M with a longer stem, don't know which would be better.

I'm excited of the potential to replace/supplant the Niner with the '95 with a beauty that can take it all (almost) and be able to leave my other bike setup as DH/FR only (as opposed to off-season setting it up as an excessive 7" travel AM bike).

Cheers & Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Between the two I'd look at the large with a short stem and wide bars. The slack geo lends itself well to that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Where do you live?

Cutter's Bike Shop in Bethlehem PA just became a Yeti dealer- they have a large SB-95 available for demo for about 2 weeks. I'm demo'ing it this coming Thursday

Cutters Bike Shop

mtbr member
    I'd go medium. It already has a longer TT than your 9'r and probably a considerably longer wheelbase. I'd also be concerned about the ST length on the large considering your 32" inseam. I'm 5'9.5" with a 34" inseam on a medium SB66 (with a short stem) and it's perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    I'd go medium. It already has a longer TT than your 9'r and probably a considerably longer wheelbase. I'd also be concerned about the ST length on the large considering your 32" inseam. I'm 5'9.5" with a 34" inseam on a medium SB66 (with a short stem) and it's perfect.
    I completely agree with Dogboy. Yeti frames have longer top tubes and are designed for short stems to facilitate aggressive riding. If you go with a large I doubt that even a direct mount stem would provide you with a reasonably comfortable riding position. If you get a chance to go to a yeti dealer ride a couple of different yeti frames in Medium/Large. You'll get a better feel for their unique geometry.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Where do you live?
    I'm up in Wilkes-Barre.

Cutters would be 30-min-ish closer to me drive-time wise, which would be nice.

If I was in "imminent purchaseage" I'd be into getting a demo setup, but too many other spring-time expenses are already lined up. :^(

May have to get down to scope it out just 'cause anyway though.

I'm REDICULOUSLY MORE in favor of getting the bike via an LBS than over the wire. I'm pretty much sold that It's The Right Machine For Me (like 90%+) but I'd really like to get a couple hours of trail time if I could.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I will report back next week with my thoughts. I'm 6 foot even with a 33" PBH if i'm not mistaken.

I'm not purchasing til spring either but i wanna ride it before the Yeti rep takes it back. Will be testing it on a nice rocky trail. Back to back with a Specialized Camber.
    Last edited by XJaredX; 01-06-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Saw the link on the Cutter's www - I may try to get down fr sizing and maybe a ride, but can't make it priority right now. ;^)