mtbr member
    Jan 2004

SB95 shock options

I'm looking at some deals on a 2013 frame, the options are either an RP23 or a CTD, both are Kashima. Now I'm unsure if the CTD has the trail adjust but will find out. What do the frames normally ship with?

I understand the 2013 CTD without the trail adjust isn't as tuneable as the old RP23, I'm not sure how true that is.

If it is trail adjust is CTD the way to go? I'll probably put some Pikes on it.

Have there been any changes on the alu frames since 2013? Thanks.

mtbr member
    If the CTD shock has trail adjust, that's probably the better choice. CTD w/ TA would be an RP33 using the old nomenclature. The RP23 has Propedal On or Off (the 2), with 3 compression settings for On (hence the 23). CTD has three settings (Climb, Trail, and Descend) with 3 compression settings for the Trail mode (ie, 33).

All that said, it seems like people complain about the factory tunes on the CTD. I personally don't like the CTD w/ TA that came on my 66, and just ordered a 2015 RS Monarch Plus. I'm running a Pike up front.

As for 2013 frames vs 2014, I believe Yeti now offers a carbon rear triangle for the 95a. The all-aluminum 95a is now called the 95a Comp. I'm pretty sure the 2013 95a's only came with the aluminum rear triangle. Someone else might be able to confirm or correct that statement, though.

mtbr member
    The CTD should be a boost valve trail adjust, at least my 13 was. It was quickly replaced with a Monarch. I prefer RS over anything Fox.

I'd almost recommend the RP over the CTD unless you plan to get it revalved. The CTD's are terribly over valved on reb unless you weigh 250+lbs. Also plan on getting a volume spacer kit for it as the spring volume is too large.

mtbr member
    I don't know how much faith to put in the upper mgmt at Yeti, but I recently had a discussion with them about issues with Fox (I'm on a Pike/CCDBA) and they said that Fox realized they dropped the ball the last few years and the new stuff is good and fine tuned to the given bike. Again, dunno, just the messenger.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, sounds like I should save 100 and get the rp23 and if that doesn't work well I can put the money towards a CC DBi!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by happybiker View Post
    Thanks, sounds like I should save 100 and get the rp23 and if that doesn't work well I can put the money towards a CC DBi!
    After getting my rp23 back multiple times, fox was kind enough to let me pay a small amount to upgrade to the float x with trail adjust. If you can get one in place of the float, I very much recommend it! Once I got it dialed in, it matches my pike almost perfectly. Couldn't be happier!
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I bought the one with CTD in the end, if I can't get the shock to work I'll be looking at Cane Creek eventually!