mtbr member

SB95 race kit convert to 2x10

So I have a '13 SB95 race kit and want to see how about converting to 2x10. Is it as simple and just changing the crank or do I also need a new cassette, chain, shifters, etc.

Sorry for the newb question but drivetrains are not my speciality.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    What gearing do you want on the cranks?

If you just want to drop the big ring then just buy some shorter ring bolts and drop it, set the limit screw on the front-d, re-size the chain, and be done. Likewise if you wanted to just drop the granny you could just un-bolt it, set the other limit screw on the front-d, (don't re-size the chain for this one) and be done.

Depending on what you *want* it may get more complex though.

You'll NOT likely need a new chain, cassette, or shifter, under any conditions though.

The XT front-shifter has a switch on it to go from 3x to 2x.

I'd ride the old rear-d until it's "done" and then get one with a shorter cage appropriate for the "new layout."

example: My '12 Race model came 3x, I switch it to 2x using 24t granny and 36t middle (from RaceFace), and I tried to make the stock front-d work out but it just didn't ... because the gap from the rings to the d cage was too big. I switched in a SRAM X0 that was intended for 24/36 and it was much better. To accomodate that the 2x driveline is a slightly different ring offset at the cranks than the 3x I put a 1mm spacer on the crank arm spindle at the drive-side (so it was between the crank arm and the bearings, pushing the cranks "out" just a little), and all was "gold."

If you want to go to one of the "stock" Shimano 2x ring sets it's *almost* cost effective to buy a new 2x crankset, particularly if you sell-off your old one, because it comes with a new bottom bracket (that is identical to the one you already have), giving you a spare for when the current one needs replacement.

You only *need* a new chain if the biggest new front ring size + the biggest rear cog size is a larger combo than what you have now ... which is *real* unlikely as your current 3x setup has a 42 or 44 tooth big ring.

You *should* have the chain sized for the new layout though, the bike will function better.